Who is the most well written/realized fictional character of all time?

Who is the most well written/realized fictional character of all time?

Obviously you can include film/TV and other media in the equation.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com.br/books?id=gQreVkGq8y8C&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=borges on ulysses we know a lot of things about&source=bl&ots=ml_7HyJHMo&sig=v7j6KFvMiT7EJmYWQpjSvBszCs0&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjss6Tc9c3NAhVGkpAKHYM9C2oQ6AEIHzAA#v=onepage&q=borges on ulysses we know a lot of things about&f=false
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

my diary desu

>Who is the most well written/realized fictional character of all time?

hamlet

Caspar Goodwood

>Hamlet is under 100 pages
>Implying that a character could be developed in 100 pages

luna lovegood

Sol Weintraub

>implying it couldn't

Al Swearengen

You know that it takes on average 4 hours to perform Hamlet, right?

He's developed more well than Proust's narrator is over the several thousand pages of ISoLT.

Tyrion Lannister

Leopold Bloom

Humbert Humbert

Light Yagami

Sherlock Holmes

Falstaff

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Walter White

Freeza

Svidrigaïlov

Dom Quixote

Ahab

Holden Caulfield (really well made portrait of a teenager, with all its angst and naivety)

Vautrin

this:

leopold bloom

the greeks

>implying Hamlet didn't invent the modern human

Holy shit, so many plebs on Veeky Forums (not including others thatre probably bait), when did this happen. And if not plebbery, then copious and terrible shitposting, Jesus christ.

Good book, but Caspar Goodwood is given almost NO personality or character development or even that many pages whatsoever, so what the fuck are you smoking? Even Lord Warburton is more well-developed, let alone... jesus, I can't even keep typing this, that's such a ridiculous answer, although Portrait is a great book.

Anyway, some good answers (a lot said already in the thread desu) would probably be:

Leopold Bloom
Stephen Dedalus
Raskolnikov
Prince Myshkin
Hamlet
Falstaff
Iago

I'd go with Leopold Bloom, myself, actually.

I assume you believe is bait, but Katsuragi is easily as human and affecting as anything from Dosto or Shakespeare.

I'm sure plenty of people would call you a faggot for reading in the first place. Judge not, that ye not be judged.

Nah, Katsuragi is cool, I didn't think that was bait. Good post.

Raskolnikov.

i am a faggot, but i don't pretend anime is literature

The OP said "fictional" not "literary". If it had, I would've said Molloy, or the doctor from Satantango, or Siddhartha, plus the standards such as Dedalus and Hamlet. Pic related is also great though, forgot about her when making my first post.

Thanks user, you're a man of good taste.

William Stoner

Bilbo

Tony Soprano

Raskolnikov
Julian (Only God Forgives)
Travis Bickle
Hamlet
Pierre (War and Peace)
Shinji Ikari

You are the kind of guy that, on Shakespeare's day, would be saying that theater only produced shit and that the real deal was only Virgil, Ovid, Homer and etc.

Meursault obviously

yes

Watashi
Shichika Yasuri
Makoto Tsukimoto (Smile)
Shinji Ikari

>Julian (Only God Forgives)

Aureliano Buendia, the one who dies during the hurricane

Jihadist John.

No fictional character is as real as a man with a soul who lives and breathes.

Thus, the greatest fictional character is a real man, whom it has been forgotten that he ever truly lived, to the extent that his life has become fiction.

Take your pick of the classical heroes and gods of our ancestors.

I know of the others, but what show is Watashi from?

Tatami Galaxy

Watashi just means Potato in Japanese

He's making a joke, because Apollo was the Roman god of potatoes and Shinji means Apollo in Japanese.

It's an anime thing.

Funny, but no.

Oh, please. He's just an average Brit.

>Caspar Goodwood is given almost NO personality or character development or even that many pages whatsoever

lol. given how infrequently he appears in the book, he is marvelously well developed. the ending is so good.

Bjartur of Summerhouse

what a retarded question OP

Seconded on Bloom.

Also, Hamlet is thirty years old. THIRTY. Does Hamlet seem like a realistic 30 year old man to you?

excellent show

this is exquisite bait

Probably Don Quixote.

That show is bliss.

Naruto Uzumaki

>Freeza
>Don Quxote

Mein neger

Sancho Panza

Very brave of you, sir.

Came to post this

whichever character is the most recognizable to the reader's own internal experience

I'm surprised Hyperion is well known enough for someone to be called a pleb that fast.

I'd say
Hamlet
Satan in Paradise Lost.
Myshkin
Ivan Vasilyevich (from the Eisenstein film)
and Mahound

And to be honest, Sol Weintraub isn't a bad choice I don't think. Neither is Tyrion Lannister, really.

I don't see how they could be viewed as shallow choices other than the fact that they're both in *gasp* genre fiction books.

Any major character in Middlemarch. Even some of the secondary characters, especially Kitty, are well developed.

what do you mean?
i know plenty of whiny 30 year olds with fears of commitment

Samwise Gamgee

10/10

sheldon cooper from big bang theory

Autism isn't real you dip.

it's a retrospective, dude...

>"literary" snobs blast anyone who lists a genre fiction character
>Think Evangelion's characters are deep

Joe christmas. You get to experience the level of isolation that a man experiences in a society where he is seen as an outsider.

To all you fucks putting characters from animes, get the fuck out of here.

probably not the best but certainly my favorite of recent memory has to be archimboldi in 2666

I posted an Eva character, and I never insulted anyone else's choice. Just enjoy what you like, you're never going to please everyone.

Thanks, but I think I'll stay.

Misato is written like she were ripped straight from a classic novel. You leave.

this

Also, to all Leopold Bloom fags here:

books.google.com.br/books?id=gQreVkGq8y8C&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=borges on ulysses we know a lot of things about&source=bl&ots=ml_7HyJHMo&sig=v7j6KFvMiT7EJmYWQpjSvBszCs0&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjss6Tc9c3NAhVGkpAKHYM9C2oQ6AEIHzAA#v=onepage&q=borges on ulysses we know a lot of things about&f=false

look for page 39

Why is she so perfect?

Holy shit. Are you fucking Autistic?

It's obvious Sakura is the more developed character. Surpassing every character of Shakespeare (which is too hard to read anyway) in her poetic emotional journey through the series.

What does that even mean?

This:

You:

Learn to think for yourself

It means he took a break from slobbering all over Harold Bloom's ancient cock to make that post.

Charles Foster Kane, anyone?

Arthur in the once and future king

Solid snake

one page is plenty

B+ shitpost, I nearly bit the bait

>The greatest fictional character is real
I despise Kanye fans

He's not even as developed as big boss

FLCL overall is really well written. Many aspects of the characters and actions are implied or obscured in a subtle way. It's probably the only anime I'll ever rewatch again.

Last story archs are shit and he's turned into a conventional hero

The theater DID produce shit and Virgil, Ovid, Homer, etc., WERE the real deal. Shakespeare was a minority among superficial and cliched playwrights we don't even hear of today, ones besides Fletcher, Kyd, Beaumont, Marlowe, etc...

Tywin Lannister
The police guy from Les miserables
Are there good characters like this in other works?

Prince Myshkin
Ishmael (Moby Dick, or The Whale)
Cornelius Suttree

wrong

Love him and the manga

It is quite clever, but personally I just enjoy it the balance of absurdity and powerfully tragic nostalgia. Plus, obviously, the soundtrack is incredible.

>poorly disguised Veeky Forums anime thread
>no mention of Revolutionary Girl Utena
I'm kinda disappointed

James Sunderland

M Swan!

Anne Frank

Leopold Bloom

>Return

Only bad authors

>Tolstoy

>Dostoevsky

>Pynchon

need more than 100 pages to actually develop anything other than dribble.