Is she worth reading for the first time past the age of 20?

Is she worth reading for the first time past the age of 20?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/author/quotes/7190.Ana_s_Nin
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

she looks so cute...

Yes, I'm 25, started reading her recently, she's great.

she was supposedly really qt

Only if you're a woman. Men can't relate to her writings.

She's trash and is only held up because she was a woman. Feminist icon affirmative action trash.

It's the type of books that makes normies hate literature forever. Dreadful, boring, soulless, irrelevant.

>renowned as a writer of romances
>dies a virgin

Austen, Jane. Great.

This

Forgot my frog pic

Fucking women shitting up literature!!!!

REEEEEEEE¡!!!!!!!!¡!!

mansfield park is by far her best

Kindly fuck off.

She wrote some cute books, they're easily enjoyable. Do read the, OP.

>austen is feminist trash
>nu-uh, she wrote cute books

Get the fuck off my board.

She is never worth reading.

Eat shit and die.

She only appeals to female sensibilities, and the fact that you called her writings 'cute' only proves my point.

"Whenever I take up "Pride and Prejudice" or "Sense and Sensibility," I feel like a barkeeper entering the Kingdom of Heaven. I mean, I feel as he would probably feel, would almost certainly feel. I am quite sure I know what his sensations would be -- and his private comments. He would be certain to curl his lip, as those ultra-good Presbyterians went filing self-complacently along. ...

"She makes me detest all her people, without reserve. Is that her intention? It is not believable. Then is it her purpose to make the reader detest her people up to the middle of the book and like them in the rest of the chapters? That could be. That would be high art. It would be worth while, too. Some day I will examine the other end of her books and see."

"Jane Austen? Why I go so far as to say that any library is a good library that does not contain a volume by Jane Austen. Even if it contains no other book."

"To me his prose is unreadable -- like Jane Austin's [sic]. No there is a difference. I could read his prose on salary, but not Jane's. Jane is entirely impossible. It seems a great pity that they allowed her to die a natural death."

"Jane Austen's books, too, are absent from this library. Just that one omission alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it."

"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

t. Mark Twain

tl;dr -- she's trash

I've noticed this board hates Twain and Poe for being too pleb - until its time to diss someone, and then they're patrician as fuck.

>Mark Twain being edgy
>For some reason we are supposed to care

You probably think Nabokov has credibility as a critic too

Twain isn't patrician, but he had taste enough to dismiss Jane Austen, which is admirable.

Read L.M. Montgomery instead.

does this board like any female authors?

>She only appeals to female sensibilities
This is simply not true though. That is your own subjective perception of her work, it's the same as me calling it "cute".
Her books are admired and enjoyed by people with all kinds of "sensibilities". Pull your head out of your ass dude.

Only patrician ones like flannery o'connor and virginia woolf.

t. A man pretending to be a girl on a malaysian drawing board.

I am a man, I haven't said otherwise.

t. /r9k/ retard with a child's understanding of literature.

I've read 50 times as many books as you and understood them 100% better.
Don't blame /r9k/ for Austen being a trash author. Her shitty novels predates that board by many a year.

Prove you aren't a complete retard and defend Pride and Prejudice. You know, that novel you haven't even read.

Anaïs Nin

Anne Rice and Ayn Rand are both awesome.
Fuck the police.

Great writer. Read goodreads.com/author/quotes/7190.Ana_s_Nin

And tell me Jane Austen isn't childish trash with zero sophistication.

>“We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.”
>― Anaïs Nin

... woah

>people like him are actually serious