Hey Veeky Forums no memeing here, I'm genuinely curious as to what is your favorite Thomas Pynchon book...

hey Veeky Forums no memeing here, I'm genuinely curious as to what is your favorite Thomas Pynchon book? I myself find V and Inherent Vice the most enjoyable/rewarding

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eO6PpD-tRLU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Only ever read Lot49 and V.

That being said V. is superior.

>white male upper-middle class college student detected

None.

lower middle class on scholarships but v accurate for the most part

shut the fuck up

>implying that assertion doesn't apply to most of the board anyway

GR with V. being a close second and M&D being third. This may or may not change when I finally get around to reading Against the Day, which is his only book that I haven't read yet.

>being upper-middle class
Kek. How about a reroll, ez mode?

Gravity's Rainbow.

On a side note, does anyone know if all, or most, of Pynchon's songs have some sort of tune attached to them? I read recently that the tune of this part:

“Got a hardon in my fist,
Don't be pissed,
Re-enlist—
Snap—to, Slothrop!
Jackson, I don't give a fuck, Just give me my "ruptured duck!" Snap—to, Slothrop!
No one here can love or comprehend me,
They just look for someplace else to send . . . me ...
Tap my head and mike my brain, Stick that needle in my vein, Slothrop, snap to!”

is supposed to be sung to the tune of this song:
youtube.com/watch?v=eO6PpD-tRLU
(listen to the chorus specifically, the lyrics really fit)

Does anyone know any other examples of this with Pynchon's songs?

I have yet to tackle against the day but I've heard it's just a clusterfuck anyways

You come to my home board.

You say to me, "No memeing."

And I sit down to listen to what you have to say.

I sit down at my desk to read your post because you have said this, "No memeing."

And then you say to me, you say, "What is your favorite Thomas Pynchon book?"

You say this to me, while I am sitting at my desk, which I have sat down with now to listen to you post because you have said to me "No memeing."

And then you ask me what my favorite Thomas Pynchon book is.

Well let me tell you something.

You are a bad man.

You have disgraced this board with your treachery and dishonorable posting.

You must leave now.

You have memed after you said this, "No memeing."

There is no hope for you.

Leave this board and take your meme with you.

Anyone can earn their way into comfortable living. Sounds like you won't, though.

Maybe, but I've read everything else of his, even things with a shit reputation like Slow Learner, Vineland, and Bleeding Edge, so it's going to happen.

I don't usually go through the entire oeuvre of an author, but he didn't write that many things so I will with him.

>mfw I'm none of those

What do you think are the best parts of V.? Because I remember only enjoying the parts involving profane and his gang

GR is the only book of his I've read, but it's by far my favorite of all time. I just started V, but I can already sense that it's not gonna be as good as GR was. Thought about reading M&D but the old timey prose kind of triggered me. Should I try against the day? Bleeding edge?

It's all downhill from GR on. You spoiled yourself by reading it first.

ugh I sorta suspected that. Did the same thing with Wallace by reading IJ first, but then realized many of his essays/shorts were as good in a different way. Guess I'll just move on to Joyce then.

>Does anyone know any other examples of this with Pynchon's songs?
Many of them explicitly say what they're meant to be sung to the tune of, and if they're not, you can kind of find their rhythm as you read.

>the old timey prose kind of triggered me
come back to it again some day, you're not ready yet

AtD is really good at getting into Pynchon in my opinion. V is a little rough being his first book, and 49 may be easier, but it's not really at his best. AtD on the other hand, may not also be his greatest work, but it's not too difficult to follow and its immense scope makes it easier to digest his other epics.

M&D is the best

I actually don't think IJ was that good compared to his earlier stuff. People rag on it, but I had way more fun with The Broom of The System. It benefited from being much shorter and a lot less preachy.

Everybody here that doesn't choose Mason & Dixon I know for sure is a psued, and isn't a fan of Pynchon.

Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.

i liked inherent vice the most. it just vibed with me.

i also enjoyed slow learner's entropy a lot.

Hey OP, count down to 7

MASONDIXON

The exact opposite of this, t b h.

son & xon

the last transit is a tearjerker

I think the opposite