Hey Veeky Forums I got my third bookcase today, what do you think?

Hey Veeky Forums I got my third bookcase today, what do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Books_of_the_Western_World
youtube.com/watch?v=-A2N03lzbKs
makingamarkreviews.blogspot.hr/2013/06/ikea-hemnes-bookcases-do-not-sag.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm glad I have an e-reader.

>only third

top pleb

How many do you have?

Be glad you don't have an e-reader.

It looks just fine. Try buying collections, such as the Great Books, if you want to make it look really neat.

If you went to the effort of hoovering why didn't you take the hoover out the picture?
Did you want us to know what you had done it?
Wouldn't it be better for us to just think you had clean floors?
Instead of doing it for the picture then leaving it in making it obvious what you had done

I doubt he thought that hard about it m8

>subtle kek

I've only got 4
3 1/4, technically. And two kitchen cabinets are filled with books, too

great job!!!

they're shit

Well I mean he hoovered so he obviously cares

why did you get a different color?

you realize it is normal to vacuum more than once a year, right?

dude just put in a new book case, must've vacuumed before setting it up. Or, maybe after, all the little stuff from fumbling about.

You really need to settle down with that pic, Billy is pretty much the best thing you can get without building a shelf yourself -not something everyone can do- or spending several times the price.

not the guy you were talking too but books cases are so easy and cheap to build, and it'll be better quality than Billy Boy there.

If you're in Los Angeles, I'll teach you

I was cleaning up after assembling it
a lot of dust and cardboard and foam from the box

they didn't have the fake-wood finish ;_;

what is so kek about that?

Anybody mirin this bookcase I just made from an old pallet this morning? Gonna cover the shelves with canvas so the books don't get green mold on them. Will fill with only the most patrician shit.

I read this and thought you were joking, then I scrolled down. jesus christ.

I think it's a bookcase.

Its good.

You're not a fan, thats ok, Im happy with it though.

Looks cool, I like the industrial design. I hate my standard clean IKEA bookcase.

Nice and tidy, OP. I wish I had enough shelving for my books. Did you go to Ikea? Those Billy shelves are pretty good value for money imo.

Dis nigga angry. I had my billy shelves for years and never had any issue with them. They're pretty good and convenient.

Functional/10

Did it hurt your delicate aesthetic sensibilities, you bourgeoise swine?

Literally who can't build a shelf? A fucking chimp could build a shelf.

Nobody ever seems to use cinder blocks and planks of wood for their shelving anymore.

not him, but I'm very near LA. pls teach me your ways

I feel like I would get splinters even looking at that thing, as it is currently. It needs a sanding block and some kind of finish.

Bookcases aside, nice Gene Wolfe row. The bottom row of my shelf is dedicated to him as well. After re-reading BotNS several times in my youth, I'm finally on the final book of the Long Sun.

My current bookcase is one my brother made of solid oak. It looks great and is very sturdy. Unfortunately, it is full and I think I'm going to have to buy one of those Billy cases. They look fine when they're all together but it is going to look silly next to my oak case. Anyone have a good recommendation for a natural oak colored case, even if it is veneer? Otherwise I guess I'll have to keep them in different rooms.

If you sanded and finished it then it would look and function legit great. I don't think it will look so good with canvas on it

I have the exact same cheap black shelf

you have a billy too? wow no fucking way, bro!

mfw

Ugly color, all three of them

calm down there

>beer bottles on shelves

>Not collecting beer bottles from countries you go to and putting them on your shelf to remind yourself of the fun dinners you had

God, american book covers are lame as hell. They all look like Twilight with the fancy cover pictures n shit.

>doing that thing you just said

>that wasted space in the corner

user, what are you doing? Either put them all on one wall or organize them so that the corner isn't just and ugly, empty space.

If you insist on having them along that corner, I'd put the black one diagonally in the middle.

Was it a safe pallet or did you just pick one up from the street and use it without knowing origin/treatment?

>having fun

grow up.

Hajaha fucking true

Do your bookshelves lean on carpet? My IKEA one certainly does.

Probably was covered with stacks of sheep colons

How do you solve the shelves sagging in the middle? This is especially horrible on IKEA shit.

Store your books in cubbyhole-sized shelves
they're too short to bow

But I hate those. I want to have something like this but the only ones that probably won't be sagging are the short ones in the middle.

It came with a ton of gravel I ordered for my driveway.

I have acquired some hessian that Im gonna tack to the shelves, will post updates as you guys wait with bated breath.

Holy fuck thats comfy

That thing looks unstable as hell. Needs a backboard or some diagonal pieces or it'll just fall over one day.

Good idea. I might do that today actually, thanks mate.

What are the book collections up top?

I've considered this as a reference to The Simpsons and my love for it but I traded one of my Ikea shelves to my parents for a unit bookshelf, looks much nicer and I can fit at least 200 more books on it compared to how many I could get on the Ikea one.

Love it, why the fuck did i decide to get a Kobo?

Looks like the Great Books of the Western World set. It appears to be similar to the Harvard Classics set.

Here's a link:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Books_of_the_Western_World

>building a shelf yourself
>not something everyone can do

You are my least favorite kind of person. Do you realize that there was a point in human history (really not as long ago as you might think) when almost every single man built a house for his family, completely by hand with nothing but a forest and some rudimentary tools?

As you sit in the shitty "College Vista" apartment you've been renting for 7 years even though you only pursued a bachelors in philosophy for 3 semesters, illuminated solely by the glow of a semen-encrusted alienware computer that you bought in high school with your dad's credit card to become a 1337 haxx0r, whining online about how some people are UNABLE TO CONSTRUCT A BOOKSHELF, answer this one question for me:

Do you think your ancestors are smiling down on you, you fucking pathetic waste of a man?

Holy fucking shit hahahahahahaha are you actually proud of that?

>decorating house with trash
What are photographs?

Yes.

Finished product. Rate my memes.

Not pictured: Lolita, currently reading.

>not building your own
maybe the next book you buy should be on woodworking

Nothing wrong with the bottle thing but that is a shite collection of books mate.

hey that's not half bad

I thought I might get some stick for my taste. I am new to Veeky Forums and am currently making an effort to read the books that get the most praise around here.

You have to use a stronger wood or reinforce it with L-beams. They look bad most of the time but will be hidden behind books.

It'd look much better if you tacked the flap of hessian back under the shelf its hanging over.

Otherwise, looks pretty good. Fair play to you/10.

Thank you user.

I did consider that but kinda like the raggedy aesthetic. Thanks though.

Don't mistake what we talk about for good taste. The classics are worth letting us shame you into reading but anything modern you may as well assume is a meme and follow your own tastes.
You will want to throw out that Jeff Lindsay and extensive Nesbo collection though.
Fuggin dark passenger moloch stupid bullshit.

Lmao thanks for the advice. Yeah the Moloch shit was a poor direction to take the whole thing in, but otherwise Im a fan of the Dexter series.

As for Nesbo, guilty pleasure I guess. Loved every page of Snowman.

You wouldn't be here if you've read at least a third of them.

>also related
>youtube.com/watch?v=-A2N03lzbKs

Fuck off no one cares.

>You have to use a stronger wood
But it's IKEA. It's all shit. :(

Autism

New copypasta?

You could always attach a length of solid wood to the shelves to keep them from bowing so much. I did this on some inexpensive short bookcases I own, and it's worked well.

I had to make vertical dividers on a TV shelf I have because it was sagging. The problem is that a vertical divider through the entire heigth of a bookshelf would look like shit (it looks good on a TV shelf because you have consoles and shit down there anyway so it makes sense that it's separated.

I build my own book cases with 2x8s. Never sags. Going to build a new one soon.

makingamarkreviews.blogspot.hr/2013/06/ikea-hemnes-bookcases-do-not-sag.html

This faggot claims that Hemnes doesn't sag yet I literally see sag in his pics? Am I just going crazy?

why do you have three copies of the gulag archipelago..

ikea does sell some real wood shelving, just sadly not a big variety of it.

not seeing it, and i'm the neverbilly.jpg user. could be perspective from the camera?

either way, hemnes is made from solid pine, so it's already infinitely better than particle board.

There are three volumes, senpai.

so there are

damn i've never seen it like that. i thought it was just one big volume didn't realize it was that long.

The shelves in the particle board stuff that I have, forgot which IKEA line it is, it's the simple looking shit like except not square, seem to be from much tougher particle board than the actual frame of the shelf (which apparently has cardboard and shit in it, some parts are entirely hollow!). If Hemnes shelves are from actual wood then maybe I'll get them after all.

What do you think looks better, color, or white like in

I always like brown, so I'd be going for the Regissor myself. And I'd go the light brown in Hemnes.

It's honestly depends on the aesthetic of the room you're putting it in though. Black tends to look awful unless it's going with a room that has lots of dark furniture and not much lighting.

i'd say it depends on the room you are putting it in. pick something that compliments your floor, furniture, walls, etc.

also, just to be clear, the back of hemnes is still thin fiberboard since it's just for looks and not load bearing, but the important parts are pine.

I think they're ugly. And you seem to lack a comfy reading area.
Bookshelves btw should not be light, but dark.

i like regressor as well, i was considering buying a few of these with the glass doors and cabinets. but after considering my options, i decided to just build my own shelving.

>Regissor

>If you have ever bought a piece of furniture at everyone's favorite Swedish store, chances are you have spent hours putting together that item only to result in a major Ikea fail. Luckily, the brand's new Regissör line eliminates the dreaded bag of confusing hardware and makes building furniture a five-minute task.

...how the fuck? How stupid can people be not to be able to assemble IKEA?

>lighter board, made possible by replacing solid internal with latticed skeleton structure, relieves the furniture of unnecessary weight,

>Ikea is also doing the environment a huge favor, considering how dependent the company is on this natural resource.

Jesus fucking Christ.

it's 2016. the internet has made humanity worthless at basic problem solving

I didn't even see that, but it sounds like a plus.

When I've seen people fail with IKEA furniture, it's usually because they have a short temper. If they do something wrong once, they feel angry and do worse with it.

Never had one break, are your books made of led?