What was your favorite novel at the age of 18?

What was your favorite novel at the age of 18?

I am 18. My Favorite is Moby Dick.

infinite jest. what else.

Dune

The great gatsby.

The Stranger by Albert Camus, is there any other option?

I'm 18 now. I really liked The Red and the Black

American Psycho, cause I was edgy af

Either Ulysses or Hamlet.

The bible.

Moby Dick

well rn I like Blood Meridian

The World According to Garp

Faust

Prince of Foxes

catch-22

Yes.
I loved The Fall, personally. It seemed more complete and far-reaching in its analysis than The Stranger, and I love[d] it for that reason.

Of Mice and Men

White Noise

you didn't read that when you were 18

Don Quixote

>What is a play

was mostly into kerouac and salinger in high school, then the fall semester of my freshman year right after i turned 18, i spent alone at the university of north texas and read the first few harry potters, a bunch of chuck klostermann and david sedaris, all the president's men, the diving bell and the butterfly, and candide

Yep, I was 16. I went to a boarding school for the last two years of HS and it was summer reading from a memorable professor. He assigned Dubliners to the 11th graders the next year, I wish I could have gotten that too.

It's a closet drama.
i.e. a novel

Slaughterhouse Five. United me with another plebeian literature friend when I was fifteen.

BNW, stay pleb turboplebs

I also did unironically read and dissect the themes in it and like it because it reminded me of how lonely I am because of my patricianness, so I wasn't just a turbopleb 18 y.o. edgeshit

oh and by 18 I mean I read it at 16, but of course it remained my favorite even though I did in the meantime move on to more """"complex"""" prose works such as Finnegans Wake and Gravity's Rainbow

On the Road/Less Than Zero

(OP)
Lolita.
Read it by 17 because I knew what it was about and I was already a pedo then. It was the first step to my Veeky Forums lifestyle. There was a 12 yo gf I was "seeing" during that time, but it didn't progress and now I'm happy that it didn't. My vest is still white. That's worth something if you aren't a Stirnerist.

Atlas Shrugged

Believe me when I say I want to go back in time and slap myself.

Wizard and Glass

Gravity's Rainbow, first read at 17

21 now - still is

I read it on holidays in the Rocky Mountains and I thought it was fitting.

I wish I was good at writing then I would write a book about a road mender in the Rocky Mountains.

Read Les Miserables unabridged during my junior summer vacation. Feels good. Quickly became my favorite.

For real?

Probably a fanfiction.

Los Siete Locos by Roberto Arlt

The Worm Ouroboros.

However, Finnegans Wake looks like it's going to far surpass that, but I need to read more of it before I can say it's my favourite novel.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Read it in one sitting. I can't think of a better book.

If you're a Stirnerite it's still worth something. Just not morally.

Faserland, or Watership Down, or American Psycho.

Red dragon. Just started reading back then

Stoner

The Hobbit.

Day of the Jackal

I've got a surprisingly similar story. I'm not a pedo, but when I was 17 I had a 19 year old gf who had a 13 year old sister that liked me. I read Lolita while in that relationship. It never inspired me to lust over the nymphet though.

His chest hair spells God.

This was my favourite as well.

Kys.

On the Road = 1984 = Less Than Zero.

Either On the Road or For Whom the Bell Tolls

Siddhartha

Lolita, I was a paedophile.

The Count of Monte Cristo

>was

Ender's Game

The silmarillion

The Castle. Probably still is.

Le Chants des Maldoror by Comte de Lautréamont

My edge was supreme

I once brought it to English class when we were told to bring in and read a book of your own, and I made sure to have it open on the page where he describes raping the shark. Our teacher, who was a girl in her late twenties, asked to see my book. I handed it to her with a big grin and as she read her face slowly began to turn pink, and then red. She never looked me in the eye after that again.

Marabou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh or The 25th Hour by David Benioff. I liked 'em both a lot.

Nice, same here. It's only been 2 years but I think I'll re-read it, see if my perspective has changed.

Op here.

Currently 18 mine is The Sun Also Rises

Just started lolita.

Lord of the Shadows

The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea
Not my favorite anymore, but I'll stand by it.

The Brothers Karamazov

The Catcher in the Rye ofc

18 y/o here,
"No Longer Human", without doubt, is it.

The Picture of Dorian Gray. I was pretty edgy, but it has some wonderful quotes.

Either House of Leaves or Life of Pi. It was a long-ago time ago

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

When I was 18 I still had dreams and thought I could be as great as Joyce

A Clockwork Orange

Probably either Flatland or Dune—the first because it had a radical impact on how I thought about the world, and the second because it was the first fully realized epic I had read.

Frustratingly inevitable feel, user—I know it too

Your taste seems to run a similar gamut as mine—I'd really like any Veeky Forums-obscure suggestions you have to offer. Also: how much of Finn's Wake do you feel you're adequately absorbing and comprehending? Just curious if you're full of shit or not, but more so how fruitful a non-academic's tackling of the most beautifully convoluted novel of all time can be.

I couldn't stand the narrative style of that book. And I fucks wit Camus.

Just wanted to respond that I'm 18, but realised I'm 19 and close to 20. Time flies so fucking fast. How the fuck you older people handle this shit?

Probably The Idiot.

the brothers karamazov

I feel like I'm absorbing a decent amount, but I am using an online guide. I don't think I'd get much at all without something like that.

It's not so much convoluted as really, really dense. Each word and phrase means loads of different things.

I think it was The Quiet American by Graham Greene or Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck.

Crime and Punishment for the themes.
Lolita for the style, although I have to admit I did identify with Humbert to a certain degree.

Great novel for a teenage boy to read. I read it at 20, gonna give it to my brother when he's about 16 I reckon.

Battle Royale or Catcher in the Rye, probably.

The Dark Tower series. I'm still fond of it and have good memories of reading all the books.

The Sorrows of Young Werther

It was Hopscotch by Cortazar. It's still top 3 probably, its poetic prose is difficult to surpass.

Count of Monte Cristo was my favorite before that one.

Probably Demian (Hesse) or Der Process (Kafka)

True, convoluted wasn't the best word.

18 too, I love that book so much. Got me into longer books.

Only good shit I read when I was 18 other than edgelord philosophy:

The Complete Stories by Kafka, especially In The Penal Colony

Collected Works of Shakespeare, especially Hamlet and Macbeth

The Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S Eliot, especially Prufrock, The Hollow Men, and The Waste Land.

Oxford Anthology of English Poets, giant volume of every canon-worthy poet.

Though I of course read what was required from my school curriculum, (Siddhartha, 1984, Frankenstein, Inferno)I didn't start obsessively reading novel sized literature until about a year ago. I'm 22.

what edgelord philosophy were you into?

probably some ASOIAF book. I started reading the good stuff just a few years ago.

I'm 19. My favorite novel was and still is Crime and Punishment.

Either On the Road or Cannery Row.

Warlock by Wilbur Smith

>The stranger by Camus
>The trial by Kafka
>The little prince by Egzupery
The later two are still some of my favs desu

Heart of darkness, probably still is, but I haven't read it for years

The first book id ever read, besides a shorten version of robin hood, The Stranger, and I think it was at 19, after that i began to read at least 2 books per week since I was working at a bookstore

cool blog

The Book of Flying by Keith Miller