What are some good MRE's? Can anyone recommend a good MRE?

What are some good MRE's? Can anyone recommend a good MRE?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QYUpUOThRgY
youtube.com/watch?v=Znmo1dMXerc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

After eating them in the US Army Infantry for eight years, I recommend avoiding them at all costs.

Really? They seem so tempting, i wanna have at least one user :(

what do you need it for? camping?

i find it easier to just bring canned food and heat it over a fire desu

No.
/thread

There's no harm in eating them, go for it. But after you eat one you'll probably not be so eager to have another.

It's an acquired taste to some. Your body isn't designed to continuously eat them on a near daily basis, as a single MRE is essentially all three meals' worth of calories and shit jammed into a single package, and you'll often swell up from water retention due to eating them. You'll also get the occasional constipation, but drink plenty of fluids and you'll often be fine.

With that out of the way, the best ones IMHO are the beef ravioli ones, since they pretty much have the most beef content than eny other MRE out there. A good tip is if it has M&Ms or some other candy, then it's probably going to be good. Also save tobasco packets, you'll need them.

Avoid veggie ones like they're the plague. Those are the worst, and the only way to eat those in somewhat comfort is to use the tobasco packets from other MREs.

Some of them, like beef taco and anything cheese ( ESPECIALLY beef taco), well... They can be mistaken as chemical weapons in their own right.

mexican style beans and beef is good spagetti is good just try to get a pasta mre most are good imo

I used to have a Veeky Forums copypasta folder with images as well, and about half a dozen were MRE horror stories.

If you plan on eating them for a week or so on end then prepare your anus, literally.

Vegetarian meal plans are the safest bet.

The chicken and dumplings are good

Spaghetti and beef stew are best, and the gum is a mild laxative. Use it.

French MREs are supposed to be really good.

youtube.com/watch?v=QYUpUOThRgY

There's a guy on youtube called Gschultz09 or something that has millions of MRE reviews on his channel, can't quite remember his name but his videos are inexplicably comfy as fuck to watch.

I have had British MREs before when I was young because my Dad used to trade lobsters he aught with army guys when they came to our village on exercise. I didn't really like them very much except the crackers, they were delicious.

Get French army MRE's they are better.

Steve is based

Any stories from serving Uncle Sam regarding MREs?

chili mac
old school veggie omelet comes with bacon hash browns
tortellini is shit
the vegetarian options are not better despite what that one asshole says
the hamburger comes with 2 pieces of bread and cheese spread
the fajita one is bad
chili mac is great
if you take every main meal entree thing in the beef enchilada package and add it all to the beef enchilada packet +the cheese spread, it's great
black people will always trade you well for your candy

I want to join the french military now

There's always the Foreign Legion, you know..

No pun intended, but after reading up on it a bit it still seems like such a foreign concept to me.

Eh. I'm in the US chair force ando the MREs I've had were generally decent. Meatballs in marinara is a personal favorite. Tortellini was good. Spaghetti is good. Chili Mac is nice. Eh. Just pick one op.

My favorites are cheese tortellini and chicken pesto pasta. Chicken and dumplings used to be my favorite but they replaced it with asian beef something that isn't very good. But honestly when you are forced to eat them every single day none of them are very good, but having a hot meal is nice

Interesting tidbit:

When I was in college I worked on a research project involving MRE meal formulations so I got to spend a lot of time with MREs and the soldiers who ate them. Most soldiers would fall into either of two categories:
-those who swore MREs contained laxitives, and thus would make you "stay regular" regardless of the situation.
-those who swore they contained the opposite so you wouldn't "have to go" while in combat.

Neither was true. But nearly everyone believed one or the other.

Ex-army here. Order french RCIRs and British Rations. Our mres always had a backtaste of preservitive, but tend to last longer

Long story short: soldiers are idiots

Depends. There are a lot of mouthbreathers but a lot of smart folk too.

The problem is we don't exactly know what we're eating exacrlt when you're handed a packet of food that only gives a list of ingredients, preservatives, and caloric content.

Couple that with the military culture of conflating personal experience with superstition and an external site rules.or mill and you get stuff like "MREs will make you constipated regardless of what you do" and "XYZ MREs have a higher chance of containing candy".

Ive heard very bad things about what merrika considers cheese or what sorts of imitation cheese...things...they are able to come up with.

Italian MREs are the best user. Try one

youtube.com/watch?v=Znmo1dMXerc

Not him, but if you take the water activated heating element and stick it in a water bottle you're for sure going to get to fill sand bags all day while the Chief yells at you.

We had the whole stop you up rumor too, with the added "the provided gum is the laxative" rumor.

The opinions of those who ate it for years don't apply to you, eat anything (and only that one thing) for extended periods of time and you're bound to hate it eventually.

Today's MRE are pretty good and tasty, compared to what they have been in the past. The meals are exactly what you'd find in the canned food isle except in a metal packet instead, the sides are general snack foods with a little more preservatives, the coffee is coffee, the candy is candy, the desserts are basically pound cake (and fucking delicious, cinnamon buns are the best), not too much else in them except cheese spread, pb&j, and plain white/wheat bread. Their reputation is based on their history and over consumption, not a very good reflection of what they actually are.

My personal favorite is Chicken Pesto Pasta. No funny textures, it smells great, it doesn't look too bad when cold, and it isn't bland as fuck. Pretty much any chicken meal is gonna be good, the beef ones are bland unless it's chili, I don't have much to say about the pork ones, and the vegetarian ones are flavorful as well. The tuna one is just a ripoff, it's literally just a packet of tuna you can buy in the store (brand name and everything) but at least those come with good sides (jalapeno anything is awesome, so are onion pretzels).

Also a little bit more to add. Today's MRE average 1300 calories so it's a good two meals. I personally wouldn't pay over $4 each for my choice of menus, and I've never eaten an omelette/egg one.

BE CAREFUL OF THE CHILI POWDER

Don't forget the jalapeno cheese spread. That shit is money, but only because it's rare.

my buddy was in the Marines and he gave me a MRE M&M cookie

not bad, pretty dry though

That shit is so good. Chocolate peanut butter is also pretty rare and good (for peanut butter), sometimes you can get blackberry jam as well.

Jalapeno cheese filled pretzels are a miracle.

The cookies are the worst dessert.

I ate MREs a whole deployment in 2009 because dfac was 1.5 miles from my work(motorpool) at our camp, and I didn't mind it. Honestly a lot of US troops are whiny shits. Even a dfac with award winning chefs will have soldiers crying about wanting to eat "real" food and they go out to get a fucking mcdonald's. I never understood why such behavior was so common.

Personal favorite was the jambalaya one for the topic.

try 4000 calories

>4000 calories
What on earth are you talking about? I'll go grab one right now and total up the contents for you.

2014 Menu 17 - Sopacko
Pork Sausage Patty, Maple Flavored
Maple Flavor Pork Sausage Patty - 240
Crackers - 180
Maple Muffin Top - 270
Nut Raisin Mix - 310
Cheese Spread - 150
Coffee/creamer/sugar - 50
Table Syrup - 80

That is only 1280 calories, what ration are you thinking of?

bisciuts and gravy