Book thread

Post you favourite Veeky Forums books, help out your fellow anons finding the best books for their field

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
cs.cmu.edu/~rwh/pfpl/2nded.pdf
see.stanford.edu/materials/lsoftaee261/book-fall-07.pdf
see.stanford.edu/Course/EE261
see.stanford.edu/materials/lsoftaee261/References.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why is it in sale in those shitty countries only?

inb4 >cs

what is Veeky Forums's favourite mech eng book? pls no meming

Book publishers price their books differently in different areas to maximize profits.

In North America they can raise prices because students (or their parents) are more or less willing to pay a lot for their studies. Elsewhere books need to have reasonable prices, otherwise no sales.

That is also the reason why publishers also forbid importing these cheaper international books into USA/Canada, they don't want others to make profit.

*they don't want to lose profits

Fixed

this is one of the comfiest books I have ever read

>Practical foundations for an already practical thing.

Yeah. I also feel like giving a theoretical foundation for set theory. That will be worthwhile.

Oh wait.

there are several mech eng people on Veeky Forums, pls help

>less than 00.5% of cs majors will even read that

Mechanics by Hartog

also
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mechanical_and_Aerospace_Engineering

What's the difference between that book and a book like the one by Taylor?

>Mechanics by Hartog
Is this actually good, or is it just a meme?

Clayden

K&K is a honors freshman physics 1 book for kids who did AP physics or honors physics and calculus in high school.
Taylor is a sophomore mechanics book.

Bought it. It's a meme. Something you read after you've already taken the classes.

Hibbeler for engineering mechanics is far more reader-friendly.

It's a good supplement

fundamentals of engineering thermodynamics, moran and shapiro

Impossible, that book is literally quantity over quality. I honestly prefer Solomon's.

Dowling - Mechanical Behavior of Materials
Best book on mechanical failure.
Nice old school, no wasted graphics, style
A must read (or at least reference) for any mechanical engineer

>filename
I don't get it

if you are a mechanical engineer and haven't read all three of these, you are a turbo pleb.

Or you already left undergrad

>Hibbeler for engineering mechanics is far more retard-friendly.

ftfy

you should have read them in undergrad.

Does anyone have the solutions manual for "Discrete Math and it's Applications" 7th edition?

Why? I learned it anyway. I'd rather move on to Arnold and Marsden

I'm not an engineer though. I'm a professional fapper.

bookzz.org. Just search for the solution manual.

should be here soon

they're called "international editions" usually and they're pretty easy to find online
the quality of paper used is much lower than US editions but the books are much cheaper.

If you buy them from a college bookstore there will be a very high markup

Any one know a god-tier book for signal processing?

Stanford's Fourier series lectures+course reader is a very good intro to signal processing.
the lecturer has a PDF of textbook recommendations but i haven't really gone through all of them.

Thanks!
It looks like they used to have it but where hit with a DMCA .

Good introductory text.

The title is just Robert Harper being pretentious as usual. How "practical" the book actually is is debatable, but I think it's valuable to anyone who'd like to look at programming languages as something more than just bags of buzzwordy features:
cs.cmu.edu/~rwh/pfpl/2nded.pdf

i'll be studying Calculus and Linear Algebra the next year, what you recommend?

considering i'm a rookie mathemtcian

That's literally an 8th grade level book. WTF do you need a solution manual for?

>I'm a reddit tier shitposter
wow

Hibbeler is a Civil Engineer who wrote his books to resemble stereo instructions. Veeky Forums accuses engineers of being plug-n-chug monkeys, and Hibbeler is making that meme a reality.

What's a good intro intermediate text for electrical engineering, and or semi conductor physics for hot blooded people like me

I've been watching those lectures for weeks. I have a lot of notes on Fourier series and transforms. I wanted something like a text book or something to really buff up my knowledge. Besides how do I get the lecture notes? Is there a link or something?

Is it not just fluid mechanics with different viscosity ?

its a fluid mechanics/gas dynamics mash up.

2nd year undergrad here. Which would you recommend I read first?

The usual sequence is
Mechanics (static rigid bodies, dynamic rigid bodies)
Strength of Mats (statics of flexible bodies)
Vibrations (dynamics of flexible bodies)

OP from here, any good Mathematical Modelling books, technical or not, would help me out with picking a book for vacation

Got a computer?
I liked Gilat - Numerical Methods for Engineers and Scientists
Its got a lot of MATLAB code, so if you have MATLAB or Octave it might be worth picking up.
Pretty much all the basic numerical methods in solving sets of linear equations, numerical integration, odes.
Not sure if there was a PDEs section.

It does assume some basic coding experience

Quantity over quality? How come? It's got good examples, excellently explained. Sure it's got pretty much everything you'll ever need in OChem, but all of that everything is excellently explained...

>That's literally an 8th grade level book
No, it isn't.

here's the link for the notes: see.stanford.edu/materials/lsoftaee261/book-fall-07.pdf

here's the main page for the course: see.stanford.edu/Course/EE261
you can see the homework assignments... pretty much everything used for the course. on the main page you can download all the materials(including the reader)

here's the list of textbooks that are recommended for reference :
see.stanford.edu/materials/lsoftaee261/References.pdf

someone approve of my purchase so i can stop feeling regret

thanks

approved

Yeah, I used the first one, it's nice

I don't know about the other

bumble jumble

Anyone had exp with this one?

Clayden is great desu

that guy is a monkey

>Forbid

Supreme court ruled they're not illegal to buy/sell/use in the US.

Wanting to study for Exam 1 P and I got "A First Course in Probability 8th Ed," but I'm lacking the trig/calc. Anyone recommend a good introductory text?

read the name of the book

pretty much everyone prefers clayden. ive never even read clayden and i know its the tippy top of the organic books

>Discreet maths

It really is.

Bump for this, what would be the absolute best book for introduction to calculus?

Spivak
Spivak and Axler

>Discreet

You could use an 8th grade spelling book, it seems

Thank you

Going to start calc 1 in a few months, need a head-start

Don't listen to this guy, get Royden/Fitzpatrick and Lang for calculus and linear algebra, respectively.

He says he's a beginner mathematician not engineer.
Spivak is a better intro book if you actually are willing to do some work and want to understand the math.

Any books that dive deep into fairly basic calculus/analysis? A lot of limits, rolle , bolzano theorems etc.
Trying to step in front of other students (have already done in chemistry, biology as high school subjects are super simplified versions of textbooks)
but all books on the topic are non intuitive, oversimplify everything and have awful, exercises going from super simple to plain "notice that detail"
I have apostol's, Courant 's and Spivak ' s calculus, are they going to be of any use?
Greek btw

what does it cover? I want to read a proper book about ANN

Hey guys what is the best book for basic math?

Rudin is the pure math advanced freshman text.
I prefer Pugh though.

>The Geometry of Memes

That book is actually the best source for seeing that Schemes are not just abstract nonsense.

Any suggestions for biology?
I've read The Selfish Gene by Dawkins, but would like to read other literature.

Anything by Dawkins, Campbell's biology and Albert's molecular biology of the cell are great, if you want to get serious with it

Please fuck off from this board.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to check it all out.

My summer read. Would recommend.

What about Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology: A Basic Introduction by Ta-Pei Cheng?

it does not go into too much detail, it is an introductory book after all that covers a lot of topics

but as a starting point it works
and continuing with the material suggested in further reading afterwards for more specific material

I wanted to read pic related, but libgen doesn't have it, my university doesn't seem to have it either, I don't have 180$ to spare, and the only place I've found a download link wants my credit card details, for reasons totally not related to robbing me, I presume.

kek

oh my god, I just heard about this one two days ago!

for what stream? That book is long winded af.

My personal favorite for conciseness and neatness, did a research project on this in undergrad

I think Jaynes theory is right, but he is using a very particular definition of consciousness. I think I better word for what Jaynes is explaining would be "thought", which I interpret to be obviously related to, but not wholly synonymous with the word consciousness. The more general phenomenon of why we have subjective experience whatsoever is not really touched upon by the book.

what are some good chemistry/chemE books? I've read the sticky list, just seeing if anyone has any preferences. I'm a mechanical engineer, but it seems like all the work that's remotely close to what I want to do is either related to combustion or batteries, any my chemistry needs to be brushed up.

self bump. also, i'm a retard who learns better with pictures and examples, so recent textbooks are better than original source materials. i've got older books that are just walls of text and i find them really hard to get through.

this is very comfy. some understanding of EM and particle physics is recommended but overall and easy read

If you're going to study that stuff the yellow book by Bluman and kumei is far superior. I did my undergrad research on it as well.

It's good as a supplement.

ttt