Good student cooking

So, i just moved out, and i don't have a lot of good interesting meals to cook since i'm a student with almost no money.

What are your good fucking student meals?

Buy grain in bulk.

Buy vegetables on sale, or frozen.

Buy chicken thighs.

Wa la. Eat every day until you graduate.

No Op but good advice for him. I would recommend a crock pot as well. You can make a lot of good things in it for cheap.

Thanks, please any more would be nice.

>Don't drink, don't smoke
>Don't go to parties or social gatherings
Invest money into food

nah u should definitely be social and go to parties just don't spend money on them

good luck with that
Might work if you have a pair of tits

Cabbage stew

this is true.
while we're on the subject, don't buy chicks drinks. trust me, they know their power

>wa la

Crock pots are garbage, get a Dutch oven and/or a pressure cooker. Get a Crock-Pot if you want to bring bean dip to the church picnic.

Hit up the ethnic markets in your area as they will sell spices, lentils, beans, sauces ect for far less than your regular western grocery store.

Also think outside the box for dishes you can make at home. Pav bhaji, dahl fry, falafel are just 3 easy things to make at home that cost very little to make or take much time to do so.

Why are crock pots garbage? Please elaborate.

Not that user but I think most crock pots are shit today. Unless you get an old school sunbeam with an actually temperature setting your options are basically "high" and "low". i would suggest a small electric roaster with a real temp setting dial in either celsius or freedom units. It will do everything a crock pot will plus more.

>Constantly over hear chicks brag about how many free drinks they got from guys through flirting (and they already had bfs)

Here's what I lived off of in college:

Broccoli
Red potatoes
Carrots
Onion
Mushrooms

Peel the potatoes, peel the carrots, set those in a steamer basket since they take a while to cook. In the meantime chop up the onion and mushrooms and saute them. Steam the broccoli. DINNER IS READY. Cheap and healthy.

Maybe that is what he was talking about. I cook pork shoulders, chicken for shredding, and chili in mine. I get a whole pork shoulder skin and all here for about 7 dollars. This could bring value and taste to Opies life.

you new here

I found out when I dated pic related. she was loco

I do pretty much the same thing. One of my go to easy and poor dishes are a large pork shoulder bought on sale and dump in a jar of pepperorcinis(brine and all). Toss in some onion, garlic and whatever spices Im in the mood for. Set to 220 and forget until it falls apart/easy to shred and serve as a sandwich on hard rolls. Shit easy retard level to make many people will think you did something special.

Chicken breast is cheaper at Walmart than thigh for me. Just my two cents.

I usually buy both and keep it frozen for a few weeks.

Also OP budgetbytes is a great blog. 10/10 can recommend

Do potatoes steam well?

Ive never actually tried.

Did she cook nice things for you?

I'm cook for over 4 years and I'm using old good fashionate pots. Cuz' fuck you

Stock up on rice. It's easy to cook and goes with almost anything.
You can even turn it into dessert/breakfast by making a small bulk of rice pudding and keeping it refrigerated, fucking love that shit.

An easy meal I came up with as well:

1-2 large potatoes, grated
1 large onion, chopped
150 gr soft cheese, grated (adjust the amount depending on how cheesy you like your stuff)
Pepper & rosemary to taste

Mix it all and toss it in a small, greased pan to make a really quick and yummy tortilla, thank me later.

Meh, it was alright.

>actually good advice m8
>gotta love those chikns

It's real damn hard to fuck up a potato. Hell you can just stab the things a few times and throw em in the microwave if you're really lazy.

Recently tried this for the first time. Amazing for a quick, low effort snack.
10/10 would recommend.

Shame about your face though

I buy the rotisserie chickens at my local grocery store. I'll eat my fill, then pick the remaining meat from the bones. I'll freeze the bones. After 2 or 3 chickens I make bone broth and freeze it. That broth keeps for a good while and can be used, with any chicken meat, to make soups or as stock for other dishes.

>freedom unit.
Thanks for that ,I laught

stir fry

1. Chili & Rice
cans: diced tomatoes, beans, bean medley, chick peas (optional: corn)
veggies: onions, sweet peppers, hot peppers (optional: mushrooms)
meat: Ground beef
Use all the above to make 1 big pot of chili. Serve it over rice to make it last longer.

2. Stirfry and Rice/noodles
Stirfry frozen veggies
mix in with rice/ramen/lo mein noodles

3. Soup
use frozen veggies
chicken broth
spices and sauces/oils

Good advice here, rotisserie chickens are already cooked so they're even better on clutch study days when you have no time to make stuff. I especially recommend having them with rice and frozen vegetables.

Also, a frozen vegetable note: avoid canned foods if you can, since they're high in sodium and have less nutritional value. If you have a freezer go for frozen.

My personal recommendation is sardines in a can. I eat them with pasta and tomato sauce. Get them in olive oil, and don't throw out the olive oil; add it to the sauce. The olive oil contains omega 3s. Omega 3 dha/epa oil which is found in fish helps with brain function. The olive oil in the can catches any oil which leaves the fish after canning which is why its important to not discard it. I highly recommend eating fish. It helped me get a 3.7 GPA last semester up from a 2.8.

Also OP, what cooking devices do you have? Are you in a dorm or apartment?

The fish are not what helped you get your GPA up lol

Rice is cheap. If you're not into rice, you can use beans, oats, wheat, or potatoes as well. I'm not a college student, but I'm a frugal eater. My diet consists of mostly rice or oats, cabbages(usually Napa or cauliflower), radishes, discount bags of fruits and beansprouts. These are nice because you can microwave most of them using a microwave/oven safe glass pans with water which eliminates oven or stove top uses. Microwaving stuff with water pretty much tastes exactly same as boiling it in a pan on stove top, and there are a lot of public places that lets you use their microwave for free. Miso soups are dummy proofs, easy to make, filling, cheap, and not bad for health. Just prepare the ingredients yourself as opposed to buying a prepackaged bags which will drive up the cost.

If you live near the southern border, especially California or Texas, you have to find Mexican grocers. You can catch a lot of flour products like macaroni, tortilla, or general pastries really cheap.

I'm in an appartment, i got two stoves and a 3 in 1 microwave.

OP here again, how are noodles looked at, health wise too? I like to boil them and then fry them on the pan and mix in eggs with some pepper pepper pepper and soy sauce, really cheap.

That can be fixed by not using a tool from photoshop. That bitches face is fucked though, no fixing that.

currently at uni and i eat noodles a fair amount, also i'd get rice in as well because when you're high as fuck and your mate makes egg fried rice it tastes amazing

Nutritionally, packaged noodles are horrible. Take a look at the label sometime.

>It helped me get a 3.7 GPA last semester up from a 2.8.
yea there were definitely some confounding variables there my man but more power to you

sounds pretty fucking shit

enjoy eating sahara dust

Pasta rice and noodles are your friends, avoid the ready meals or hot foods.

Chicken is cheap and nutritious, best meat to buy. You may eat red meat once a week or less. Bacon and sausage are still quite cheap tho.

Eggs. Get lots of eggs. Onions are good too.

Tomato purée can be used to make literally everything given you have the right spices.

Avoid bread and butter unless you've literally got nothing else. Do not buy crisps.

Okay nigga. Bacon and eggs are probably your best breakfast/snacks to have. Either on their own or together. The advantage with these, esp eggs, is that they fill you up very quickly and your need to eat is greatly reduced. 2 boiled eggs and some bacon for breakfast will keep you full almost the whole day and cure your hangover. Omelettes are also an option.

For evening meals, pasta/rice/noodles/potatoes with chicken, tomato purée and whatever herbs and spices you have. It'll feel like a big filling meal that's from some country you'll probably never run out and you can be creative. So to summarise:

1. Pasta/noodles/rice/potatoes in bulk
2. Eggs
3. Chicken
4. Tomato purée
5. Your favourite herbs and spices

Bacon and onions aren't really important but they make things tastier. For eg. Bacon in noodles, onions in omelette, tomato and onion bacon pasta. Chicken cooked in onions with potatoes.

uhh your omelette recipe doesn't have eggs

I can't believe how many people aren't red polled about eggs. I must have bought them every week for omelettes, fried eggs, boiled eggs etc.

Probably the best advice I can give itt

Thats a pleabian opinion user

Thanks man, this sounds good.

Not a big fan of em, but feel free to crack a pair in the mix if you like.

Buy a rotisserie chicken or a cheap set of chicken breast/drumsticks and it'll last you a week.
Sides:
>pasta or rice-a-roni
>salad (simple lettuce, carrots, and dressing)
>steamed corn on the cob, broccoli, or other frozen veg
>macaroni and cheese

Entrees:
-Chicken breasts or drumsticks:
>slather with bbq & cook
>cut into strips, add steamed broccoli or stir fry veg, and mix with teriyaki or stir fry sauce of choice

-Rotisserie
>shred, toss with bbq sauce, and put on hamburger bun or bread of choice
>shred, add mayo, small amount of cooked veg mix, pepper, garlic salt/seasoning or another tasty spice, and place on a tostada.
>Or add lettuce and avocado and put it in a sandwich instead.
>shred, cook and add to penne pasta, add jar of alfredo sauce and a tablespoon of pesto sauce (and some cherry tomatoes if you're feeling fancy)

I'm exaggerating when I say a week, by the way. It'll realistically last about 2-3 days.

That's 5 meals plus stock, so I would say it could last a week just fine

>moving out
>with no money
Your parents disowned you, right?