Is stainless steel the best cookware? Not as heavy as cast iron and can cook tomato based dishes...

Is stainless steel the best cookware? Not as heavy as cast iron and can cook tomato based dishes. Not has expensive as copper. Not cancer causing like nonstick.

Other urls found in this thread:

etsy.com/listing/229225881/25mm-pure-solid-silver-999-frying-pan#
youtube.com/watch?v=1376ITxF1Oc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

something to do with dissolving metals into food is what makes it bad.

I think, you're talking about cast iron, m8. Stainless is nonreactive, unless you put hydrochloric acid in it and let it sit.

Depends on what you mean by the "best". Copper is objectively the best for cooking, probably followed by aluminum. Pure stainless is pretty shit.

What really will help your decision on buying would be the other factors, such as durability, convenience of use, and cost/brand.

It sticks

no. The chromium part of stainless dissolves in food as well.
The good thing about iron pans is that iron isn't toxic at all, maybe even beneficial, while chromium is toxic.
I use stainless as well, but it's not superior to iron in that regard at all.

I read that study, or at least the abstract and the graphs. Didn't the leeching stabilize after the 5th or 6th time? Also, I guess if one is truly paranoid couldn't they get a pan with 400 series stainless, since it has less chromium?

In the end, it's all moot anyways, go enjoy a nice glass of tap water and it makes everything leeched from a stainless pan seem negligible. People are so fucking scared of their food nowadays.

Actually a solid silver pan for conductivity with a thin gold coating for nonreactivity is objectively better.

I don't know about where you're from, but here in germany tap water is pretty much the best regulated product on the market. The requirements are MUCH higher than for bottled water and except for some areas where there's a lot of lime/chalk (? CaCO3) the tap water is so fucking good. For example in cologne they deliver the tap water in rod-form, I heard.

Apart from that yeah, the amount of chromium in the food gradually got less till like the 10th serving or something, at which point it stayed at that level. Quite some still dissolves, but far under the amount that's apparently toxic/starts having an effect. Thing is, we know pretty much nothing about our bodies at this point. Maybe there are some unknown side effects, like alzheimer, assburger, allergies or autism.

I guess a good way to get around it would be enameled cookware. But overall I agree. People put all kind of shit into their body holes, whether it's pesticides, plastic dongs, some gel that lets you pipi grow, or chinese inears with who knows what inside the cushions.
I could care more if some chromium dissolves into my food, but at the same time it's good knowing, just in case at some point they actually find out that chromium can have effects on you/your family, so you can stop using it.

That's true.

>find out that chromium can have effects

Yeah after the aluminum, copper and iron lobby build up enough money to pay off our legislators to declare, in the name of Ceasar, it is so.

Copper and aluminium are just as shit. The only lobby that actually could win, if at some point cookware is judged by health risks, only iron and enameled could win, really and I doubt iron still has a large lobby. If anything, the stainless lobby will make sure that chromium will never be shunned

it's suppose to in order to create fond.You can perfect the amount of sticking with proper technique.

I don't think your average cast iron neckbeard knows what "fond" is or would care to use it. It would be seen as "putting on airs". I mean, why bother with all that hoity-toity french frou-frou when there's ranch dressing? GOD I wish you Eurofags would just shut up about us already. You clearly are obsessed with and hate America and all Americans and have literally never even set foot here.

What exactly was the point of that second part of your argument?

I have a set for 20 years or more.

Low maintenance and easy to clean.
Stews, soup and pasta cook beautifully. Also ok as deep fry dish.

Look brand new today, even though I use them every day.

Only one thing bothers me.
FUCKING EGGS STICK TO IT

Naah. Non-stick is usually the best bet.
I also like how no-one ever mentions carbon steel pans here.

That was a joke you autist.

Enjoy cancer

If you were going to cook one meal, nonstick is usually best. Better brands don't use Teflon anymore, they use anodized aluminum which is both safe and can withstand high heats without leeching.
The problem is, nonstick eventually wears out. If you take care of them well and never use metal and always hand wash, they can still last many years though. AND if you buy a brand like Calphalon, you get a lifetime warranty so this is moot.

There are things like fond that favor steel, but if you know or care about that then you don't need to ask ck about pan advice.

Does anyone have any experience with using the cookware sold at Gordon Food Service? It looks like a step up from cheap Walmart sets.

>aluminum
Enjoy alzheimers

carbon steel pans are best.

pros
- season just as well as cast iron
- weigh less than cast iron
- take less time to heat up than cast iron

cons
- don't hold heat as well as cast iron

I got a little 10 inch de buyer carbon steel crepe pan that I use for eggs, they honestly just slide right off the surface if I tip the pan a however many degrees

Go back to sleep, Grandad.

I've cooked egg and they way to not make them stick is to preheat the pan, add your butter, add your egg then turn the heat down way down.

Can you make a pan sauce on one of those?

yes, definitely. functionally the same as cast iron besides the ability to hold heat for a long time. carbon steel is heavily used in the restaurant industry, not sure why it's not more popular with home cooks

>not using pure silver

>using anything but glazed ceramic

lol

There is nothing glazed about "ceramic" pans (except for the Thermolon all of the "ceramic" coatings are organic, so not a ceramic).

Enamel is vitreous though, I like enamel pans. Not the cast iron ones though, too fucking heavy.

Why are the handles so shitty? Why aren't these pans made with round handles?

Not really.
I mean, you can make it perform, but if you've ever cooked with carbon steel, cast iron, or something like Magnalite Pro, then you know it's crap compared to those. I got rid of all my stainless years ago (except for my stock pots), and only use the three I mentioned.

those are made for pro cooks who would use a towel to grab the handle, thereby rendering its shape largely unimportant.

Ceramic is infomercial-tier crap, which is why you'll never find it in a restaurant kitchen.

Is there carbon steel with good handles?

Sorry, I don't know. I've never had a problem with the standard ones.

Should be easy to find out though, do a google image search for carbon steel pan then see if any of the pics look like what you want.

another option that you might like would be those silicone slip-over handle covers

all the handles I see on amazon look pretty similar to your pic. I've had mine for years and it hasn't bothered me. Also the handle doesn't get excessively hot like cast iron unless you're really blasting the burner. and as the other poster above me stated, they do sell silicone slip-on covers for the handles

thinking about it, those handles are likely intentional so the pans can stack neatly when in use in pro kitchens. they got like 30 of these pans back there that they use per dish, then stack them up for the dishwasher to take care of

etsy.com/listing/229225881/25mm-pure-solid-silver-999-frying-pan#

Get on my level poorfags

>use a towel to grab the handle
Why?

What's wrong with copper? The French use it all the time.

Being $500 is what's wrong with it.

I read that study, too. Most food has more chromium than stainless leaches into acidic foods. There is a valid nutritional need for chromium. Also, it's not hexavalent chromium. The nickel leaching might be more of a problem since there are a lot of people who are sensitive to nickel which is why they can't wear cheap jewelry. Even then, nickel is a required nutrient and is found in most foods.
It's a pain to clean, expensive, and more easily damaged. It's great when you need precise heat control. Last I checked, the French do like non-stick.

Pretty much every cooking vessel in a pro kitchen is gonna be hot as shit, because someone might've stuck in the oven, so no one ever trusts a pan handle to be cool enough. They never use oven mitts in kitchens and always, always have a couple towels stuck through the band on their apron, one for wiping hands, one for handling hot shit. Also, it's code in a kitchen to stick a towel over the handle of a pan that's been in the oven to signal that it's fucking hot, but some people aren't trained well, or just forget because it's busy.

I find that the best approach is to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the different types of pots and pans and buy the best of each type and use where experience has shown me they perform best at each task :)

We all need a little nickel in our diet

i use cast iron mostly, bare and enamled

i have huge steel pot and pan and a super huge aluminum pot because fuck lifting that shit

Anyway, just slap that shit on a glass plate in a teivection oven

Trivection, excuse me

glass pots are shit for many reasons

but they sure are fun to watch

Is it possible to cook your food using acid and sunlight?

Looks like a strange aquarium

Stainless steel skillets can be as non-stick as Teflon if you know how to use them:

youtube.com/watch?v=1376ITxF1Oc

I've been using a ceramic frying pan these last few weeks and loving it.

>cancer causing like nonstick.
Troll detected

>implying that there are not known detrimental effects to the human body from consuming foods which have been cooked using a variety of non stick materials

sort your science out m8

Nobody here cooks with clay pots. Weird.

I think you're both thinking about aluminum, which supposedly causes alzheimers

You're an idiot. I braise in the oven with a clay pot I paid relatively big money for to be sure the glaze was food safe.

Head on down to taco whatever or burger spectacular, moron, they're probably having a 2 for 1 lardass special.

Why are you calling him a moron? He was only observing no one brought up they used clay pots yet. Settle your autism down.

just throw your food onto an open fire ringed with granite stones and shut the fuck up.

>nickel is a required nutrient
no its not retard