I don't like the main character, therefore this story sucks

>I don't like the main character, therefore this story sucks.

Do men do this as much as women? Seems like you can pick any classic and find a high-rated review on Goodreads by a girl bemoaning how much she hates the main character. Is there any method more plebeian for judging a book?

No, because pleb men read less than pleb women

most normies don't read at all

someone who reads only genre fiction is actually above average

i'm confused. you said high rated review that didn't like the main character. it doesn't seem like that's impeding the judgement.

Women literally make 'teams' for characters in shitty franchises getting together.

Women are never adults.

high-rated as in people upboat it. democracy = mainly plebs.

I knew a grill that would say this. To be fair she was saying this in regard to anime, which is pleb by nature, but still... come oooooon

I've seen a lot of men do that with Catcher in the Rye

No, men just decide the story sucks if the author is a woman.

>tfw my gf spends all of her time on tumblr posting gay fan fiction

Pretty funny.

true t.b.h. kin

People do that every week.

Ive seen it done to Kafka, Angelou, woolf, abd pretty much any black author ever, because it isn't about a man fucking a 12 year old so some lit folks cant get behind it.

>observation about women
>"he must hate women!"

>>>tumblr

It's not an observation about women if some grown man or nearly grown man comes here to cry about the classic book they didn't like because the main character wasn't basically them.

There are people here who only like Lovecraft because he was a raging shitposter Autist before they ever could be.

*above* average, or just less commonly occurring than average?

think about that for a second

stfu irrelevant bitch

not him but r9k is infinitely better than tumblr so joke is on you

>There wasn't any character development
Character development is a meme. Most people go through entire lives without character development.

An artifact of the way literature is taught in school, at least in America. It's the same way high school graduates are led to believe that literary analysis is a Where's Waldo hunt for symbolism.

I thought this was Eammon DeValera on first glance

No it's not. They're about equal. Both are essentially toxic codependency-hubs for people with mental illnesses on a massive scale.

Why do you date a pleb?

>It's the same way high school graduates are led to believe that literary analysis is a Where's Waldo hunt for symbolism

This so much.

I love you so much, user.

>Using the word toxic unironically
I'm not that dude and I think tumblr is a lot better than /r9k/ if you avoid the typical feminists, but kill yourself immediately faggot

So true. I tried watching some nostalgia critic after not having done so for some years and this meme alone was enough to make me hate it.

I love you too!

symbolism is an aspect of lit criticism but apparently the only aspect of it according to some people

Some questions you all might be having: where can you find non-plebian women? Do they exist? Why are women even like this? I'll try and answer those questions to the best my ability. I am a female myself, and no I'm not here to get fucking attention, I lurk about and so thought I could offer a perspective, maybe offer some insight.

I only recently graduated high school and started reading for my primary form of entertainment and well, to learn. I read a lot as a kid and decided to pick up the hobby again, and so far I've found that I've been missing out. Be as they may, I recently read "All Quiet on the Western Front," and "A Farewell to Arms," and found that they were wonderful, thoughtful books.

Upon recommending the latter to a female friend, she upturned her nose at it as she's a vehement fan of young adult fiction. Many of my other friends have done the same, upturning their noses at anything that isn't automatically geared towards teens and below.

I think it has a lot to do with how people are raised, and god knows young women, or women especially, sometimes aren't encouraged to read anything higher in difficulty than what they've been handed in school. Add an incessant need for instant gratification, and you've got yourself the average girl. If it looks difficult or somehow fails to cater to them, it is instantly dropped.

We read "Catcher in the Rye," during one of my English periods, and god knows how many girls in the class complained out Holden or outright refused to read it anymore.

This is a big issue, because both girls and boys, women and men, are straight up dropping books simply because it fails to pander to their own views or level of articulation. I had trouble with "Eden in the East," three years ago and was so incredibly close to giving the book back to whom I borrowed it from, but I pushed through it. Read it again, with a basic level of minimal understanding, and when I finished it there was a heightened understanding of what I had read, and then I had actually enjoyed it. I can read it now and appreciate it for what it is, enjoy it.

I think I went really off tangent here, but I hope I made some form of sense.

Holy fucking shit those digits. And yeah me too, it's not exclusive to women from what I've seen

How do you like Remarque in general? My favorite of his is the Black Obelisk, followed by Borrowed Life. Western Front was actually the last of his books I read, and I ironically enough I read it while being in the army myself. I didn't really like it much, the only thing I got out of it is that in 100 years, the nature of a conscript army hardly changed at all.

I'll admit Western Front is the only book out of his works that I've read, at least so far. I thought it was interesting and a unique look into the absolute hell that was the first world war, a war so often glossed over in favor of the second. I felt a bit nauseated when reading some of his prose, especially the bit about the screaming, dying horses.

Any other books you'd recommend?

You mean Remarque or in general? Like I said - try Black Obelisk, and Borrowed life (also knows as Heaven Has No Favorites). Both of them take place in peacetime, but, to my mind, are actually a lot more depressing and thought-provoking than the Front ever could be.
The Front certainly isn't the cheeriest read, I'll admit, but it does give you a decent idea about what real war is like, and that's crucial for understanding human history. By the way, if you're ever interested in WWI history, I recommend The Great War channel on Youtube.

I'll look at those for sure, and The Great War is such a good fucking channel, I've watched a good chunk of his videos the past month.

Can you recommend anything pertaining to war in general? It can be an account of a battlefield, or an examination of war and it's effects as a whole.

To my knowledge, Remark is actually the best there in describing industrialized warfare, and he mostly does it through examination of people and societies affected by it. Front is actually an exception in this regard - aside from it and The Road Back, most of his works take place in the interwar period or after WWII. The Road Back is what you should read if you want more war stuff, by the way; Black Obelisk takes a few years after WWI, and Borrowed Life almost a decade after WWII.

Do you browse here often?

When I can, maybe for an hour or two every week or so (when I can afford the time).

>GOODREADS IS A REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE OF "MEN" "WOMEN" AND READERS

ASSUMPTION DISCARDED

AN HERO IMPLIED

your whole point is "instant gratification," cmon, we non-proles knew that already

>do u browse here often?
Veeky Forums isnt a dating website. get girls irl ffs

Well, post more. Somebody has to be non-retarded and have taste. Especially if you're actually a girl.

I mostly spent time on Veeky Forums or /wg/, and even though those have the least cancer of all, they're still chock-full of human garbage. But what's the alternative? At least here there's no moderation and you can say anything you like, as long as you're shitposting.

Your explanation of "Why are women even like this?" is pretty much what has always been posted, but there most be something more to it. You say women probably aren't as encouraged to read higher difficulty books, what made you get into it? How come you wound up reading "All Quiet on the Western Front," and "A Farewell to Arms"? What triggered your interest in literature? And what made you not seek out Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, and all that other nonsense?

>Do you browse here often?
>Especially if you're actually a girl.

You two faggots are alright.

Up for a circlejerk where we take turns orgasming over Nabokov's prose and sucking each other's dicks?

That's assuming normies waste their time upvoating book reviews.

>because the main character wasn't basically them.

That's your assumption for why they didn't like the character. Plenty of characters are just poorly written and do stupid shit for the sake of advancing a story, and that's a valid reason to dislike a character and dislike a book as a consequence.

XD

I am forever indebted to my father, who was my primary guardian and influence as a child, for encouraging me to pursue whatever interests I found. Originally I had no interest in fiction, I consumed nonfiction as though it were food and but eventually moved on to fiction. My father bought me any book I had wanted, and distinctly remember reading nothing but books on animals for years. As I had found fiction, like Eragon and the LOTR series. It was the coolest shit, at least to me, to read about conflicts grand in scale and potentially world ending.

Later I read Odysseus in middle school, and started piecing through the Illiad and other Greek tales in late middle school/early high school. I'll admit that all of these works were near unreadable at first, but I have always had this weird thirst for reading shit that I can't understand or conceptually grasp, so bit by bit I read them until I was articulate enough to actually enjoy them. I would write down words that I didn't understand and later look them up.

Then, I found the thrills of history in high school and started reading about battles and what not, whether it be about the Romans or American Civil War nonsense, so that led me down the path towards historical fiction, where I found Hemingway and All Quiet. As of lately, I've been on a weird roll with ww1 documentaries and books.

I had to stop reading my senior year to focus on classes, but I'm back and now interested all literature of historical importance. This summer I've actually challenged myself to read and collect as many classic works that I can. I never got into Twilight or 50 Shades because, well, they're boring and have absolutely no historical importance to anyone, anything. The stories they present aren't emotionally moving, the characters bland and dull, so why should I care?

Hope this at least moderately answers your questions.

By the way, front girl, If you're really interested in modern war, you should watch Band of Brothers. As far as television and film are concerned, it's the best war docudrama in existence, and very accurate too.

Already seen it, read the book. Thanks for the suggestion.

How did you like it?

This picture is really cute and funny
Mind if I save it?