Is it possible to build a working turing-complete computer out of wood with current technology...

is it possible to build a working turing-complete computer out of wood with current technology? what about 19th century or mediaeval technology?

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.drexel.edu/~bls96/museum/cardiac.html
youtube.com/watch?v=rdT1YT9AOPA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>passing electric signals through wood

obv no

If the only function the computer needs to perform is storing information, then you could just carve some shit into a wooden plank.

Yes, technically. I don't see why not.
I just don't know where you're going to get all of the wood.

No. No you cant.

Yes, you can but it won't be as efficient as semiconductor

Do you mean adding liquid solutions to wood?

/thread

sci is really retarded baka

There's a part of me that would love to see a pneumatic-mechanical computer.

>not understanding what a computer is

you can make a computer with dominoes. is that a "Turing" computer?
Most stuff from I hear from Turing is a meme. I am not saying he didn't do grear work, he's just the Tesla of computer science.

it's because he was gay and won WW2

a turing machine requires infinite memory, however you can make a wooden computer with the correct abstractions that allow a program to perceive it as if it has infinite memory as long as you keep adding your wooden memory blocks.

This is the right answer. A "computer" can in fact be made out of a pen & pencil. Although it could be argued that in that case your brain does a lot of the work, even if it follows just the instructions of a paper tape.

What OP is asking is probably the idea of a programmable computer, capable of storing programs and running them by itself.

The answer is probably yes, but it would be much harder to do, than Babbage's Analytical Engine (someone had to mention it), due to more fragile construction material and even less accuracy in manufacturing.

The way to go around manufacturing defects would probably be making stuff, even bigger, so basically the entire thing would be huge. Huge and also super slow. Like, slower than ENIAC slow.

So imagine something castle sized, with a water stream near it to power it and you are probably in the right ballpark.

And try not to set fire to it.

You can create programmable computers with nothing but pen and paper as well.

cs.drexel.edu/~bls96/museum/cardiac.html

my first idea was to create something like a wooden brainfuck interpreter

If you can create a programmable computer with nothing but pen and paper

and a programmable computer can create a consciousness

does that mean you can create a consciousness with just pen and paper?

somebody post that damn XKCD comic where he simulates a universe with nothing but stones

is there an XKCD comic for everything?

Does plastic count?

heres a full adder, which is almost a computer.

youtube.com/watch?v=rdT1YT9AOPA

But this should give you an idea of the size needed for a mechanical computer if that whole things is just an adder..

you need more than just a programmable computer for consciousness, you need a device (like a brain) that can utilize quantum effects in its computations. So unless your pen is very small, it wont work.

But would the universe really exist?

He's just moving a bunch of rocks

It's been experimentally proven that the brain works at a much much larger scale than the one implied for quantum effects to be relevant

So no quantum for the brain

Yeah too bad my penis too big :(

our universe is just the movement of a bunch of energy, so why not.

but it moves simultaneously

proof?

prove that it doesn't

>burden of proof

>Most stuff from I hear from Turing is a meme.
You best be joking nigger

Your penis was soooo big that it collapsed into itself to become a infinitely small singularity

tI'm talking about stuff like the Turing test.
That's just so arbitrary but it's always mentioned when people talk about strong AI

you could build one of Babbage's difference engine out of wood but I don't think it would last too long.

Read about Charles Babbage. There is some short sci fi on the concept too.

It's not Turin's fault his ideas got caught in a perpetual pseudo-intellectual loop by the Hollywood.

the Tesla of computer science? the only thing popsci even mentions about him is the turning test, what else have you herd of him thats teslaish?

There is no such thing as simultaneity