Seriously what is the point of pure math?

Seriously what is the point of pure math?
Its basically just a glorified hobby

> glorified
It's only glorified by unemployable youtubers with who doodle hypothetical retarded pointless problems on their little chalkboards all day long ;)

It eventually gets applied.

this

a lot of number theory used to be 'pointless', until cryptography came around. now its an essential part of everyones daily lives

True as that may be, that should not be our response to why pure math is justified.

First off, mathematics doesn't need justification. Humans do math just like humans enjoy movies and good food.

Beyond that, mathematics is one of the pinnacles of human endeavor. The fact that humans are able to simultaneously produce answers to something and more questions at the same time is remarkable. Can you give a reason why people shouldn't do mathematics? Then it's justified as an ethical, perhaps even enjoyable, human endeavor.

Not everything needs justification, because the role of justification is to disprove some claim that something fails somehow. We justify putting people in jail because doing nothing fails to solve the social issue of crime; we justify genetically engineering crops because not doing so worsens world hunger; we justify peer-review because it improves the integrity of our work.

In what way does mathematics detract from society, so that it becomes necessary to seek justification?

(If you didn't notice, I took "what is the point of pure math" as asking what justification there is for doing pure math.)

Pantyhose is my fetish

>what is the point
>IT DOESN'T NEED TO HAVE A POINT

not an answer

thats not pantyhose you fashion illiterate virgin. thats called fishnets. i am actually triggered now

>what is the point
you'll never know, so stop trying

Yes it is... considering that the question is loaded.

"What is the name of the purple octopus on Venus?"

"There is no purple octopus on Venus."

"Not an answer! Checkmate, I win."

It is perfectly valid to respond by expressing disagreement with the premise of the question.

>t. someone working in number theory desperately trying to get sponsored

or a high schooler

You don't need to write a wall of text for that

Money.

That's a wall of text? Do you read like a fat man sprints?

If it has two hoses for putting your legs through from the panty side, then it's a panty hose you dimwit.

Your fetish is pleb tier.

What's the point of anything?

> pantyhose is pleb tier
I'll fite you bitch

haha. Not him but you won. I agree with you. One just loves to do it. That's it.

[spoiler]What's the point of life?[/spoiler]

Anyone not doing the equivalent of fixing toilets is working a glorified hobby. So what?

Look up the 'Dirac Sea' and then mathematicians will seem a little more down to earth.

It's point is to cream in some tight minge, like everything

i can writeedown bitcoins from head but i am loked at the ad hospital cos i know to math.... as they are evacuating to nuke mined emerica destroyed by corrupt reality market.... thats i count for real, the fact i can build plasma guns is physical application... uterecht, 3 towers.... construction site with heavy weight movement in air above if its you picture real i already love you....

i call them gridlocks

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

I wanto fucko thato girlo.

Imagine it this way. Math provides solutions and physics provides problems.

Math sometimes comes up with solutions to problems before physics can even handle it, and vice versa.

cringe. trying to argue number theory is more than just a glorified hobby and failing this hard is pathetic.

I am perfectly okay with that. It won't stop me from enjoying the subject. I could argue with you on where it becomes useful or not but I just don't give a shit.

They could've argued it better. Whatever

what's wrong with having a hobby? ffs get a grip user at least they aren't watching chinese cartoons in that time

i'm pretty sure every one of your counterarguments in this thread are just calling people names and and spewing meme-tier insults

Mental masturbation. To be fair, there are few fields that train aptitude in logical deduction and reasoning than pure mathematics. For the most part, you are either correct, or incorrect. There is very little room for opinion except in higher theory.

How come Tao, the objectively smartest bloke in history, works in number theory.

That's what I think, but I enjoy it anyway.
I wish my school wasn't so into calculus and analysis.

"Applied" math is useful, but it sure is a fucking chore. Wish I could just keep taking courses on simple geometry, baby proofs, and number/graph/etcetera theory.

Even cryptography is borderline, but it's fun so.

physics, computer science, and math all need each other desperately

The Three Musketeers!
>mfw Engineering is d'Artagnan

Loaded question is when I said checkm8

Brainlet

(pure) math is philosphy
You do it for the sake of doing it.
If there is an application for new stuff (you worked on), nice, then it also is useful in your lifetime.
But that is just not the goal for an individual.

So the point iis: Having a challenge and having fun with it.

Higher analysis can get pretty abstract.

> the objectively smartest bloke in history
xD
Please...

(You)

>Humans create/discover the method of explaining how the universe and even create math that will be discovered to be useful in the future
>What a useless load of shit