en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe-fitting_fluoroscope
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

On the other hand....after 80 years...

> radioactive material is radioactive
oh wow...

and it keeps going

Would you eat out of this bowl?

or drink tea from this cup?

I'd drink concentrated lemon juice out of it.

0.006 milliroentgen/hour = 0.06 microsievert/hour
3.6 milliroentgen/hour = 36 microsievert/hour

One sievert, the unit measurement for a dose of radiation, will cause illness if absorbed all at once, and 8 sieverts will result in death, even with treatment. According to the chart, the average person safely absorbs about 3.65 millisieverts (or 0.00365 sieverts) of radiation annually

I would not worry OP, I assume your gonads are quite big(?) as you are messing around with it.

The problem comes if your Gonads are really really small, like little cat balls. The sensitivity of little Gonads to radiation increases as tissue mass decreases... Dont be cold!

The counter cant directly measure all of em together.

My gonads have never been within a foot of the plates...so they are fine.

These plates date back to the 30s. They are red FiestaWare plates that were glazed using uranium which resulted in the color.

>uranium is pretty stable and there's a lot of it on Earth
Wow tell me more.

You should post this on other boards that don't know anything about radiation. Maybe they'll learn something.

>Brilliant red Fiesta (and indeed the red glazes produced by all U.S. potteries of the era) is known for having a detectable amount of uranium oxide in its glaze, which produced the orange-red color. During World War II, the government took control of uranium for development of the atom bomb, and confiscated the company's stocks.[6] Homer Laughlin discontinued Fiesta red in 1944. The company reintroduced Fiesta red in 1959 using depleted uranium (rather than the original natural uranium), after the Atomic Energy Commission relaxed its restrictions on uranium oxide.

Man, US Safety standards are complete garbage.

It was the 40's, people used to get an Xray of their feet before people realized that it was really bad, especially for the people in the stores who were constantly near the entirely unshielded machines.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe-fitting_fluoroscope

>glazed using uranium which resulted in the color
uranium glass is way cooler

My Chemistry professor told me about that

So this is what he meant

How many counts per minute is considered bad? If you have a tungsten TIG welding tip, use your geiger counter on it, for curiosity.

The device already says how many CPM is the max and you can see that some of the plates have a higher CPM emission per hour than even a daily allowance.

Check out my uranium wine glasses. I have a set of 6 I think.

wtf I hate plates now

my parents had a platter made of depression glass i wonder how high that reads,

You'll love this then,

www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/is-it-safe-to-eat-off-vintage-plates-66089830/

|madman|

Is that Drank?

what are these?

If by "Drank" you mean fruit wine made with bananas, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Some kinda electronic valve/tube.

Correct. I pulled them from some duplexers from an old abandoned radar. They are Tucor t48u23 microwave tubes. They added the isotopes to cause a instant reaction time. I guess they never bothered changing them out though as that "instant" feature wasn't really required for how they were used.

The wacky world of nuclear computing?

>didn't read the thread

I know admittedly little about radiation and I find this thread interesting. But yes, /x/ would probably use this to prove how the gubbermint is poisoning our pineal glands since the 30s.
>/v/ "muh fallout"
>/diy/ "anyone know where i can get some?"
>/k/ "it's not even weapons grade, youll be FINE"
>/b/ "jerk off in tea cup pls"

correct

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe-fitting_fluoroscope

Lol there's a great episode of the Knick (set in 1900) where the hospital is going to get its first x-ray machine. X-ray salesman says he let his kids play with it for hours. Manager of hospital gets one done of his head and sits in front of the machine for an hour.

What a fucking troll, it only shows the same 5681 CPM, the meter is actually broken.

It lists both CPM/h and max CPM idiot.

but they still know to recompose, maybe just gama phase of stabilkisation is over

wow, thanks

pretty interesting! actually thanks!
scavanging old electrical equipment is great

Are there Roentgens or Rad?

Well glazed ceramics are pretty safe unless you break a piece (or use something really strong like NaOH), but I probably wouldn't do it anyway.

I don't know if the uranium is embedded in the glaze layer- if so I guess it could react with the food, but I'm not sure.

They also used x-rays for hair removal, mostly in the 1920's and 30's.

It's kind of ironic.

>Implying radiation would not give you superpowers

Holy shit, isn't that really dangerous? You could fry everything within the mile by just dropping that thing.

It is responsible for the color itself. Which is a glaze. If there is a clear glaze over that then it is encapsulated. Old Fiestaware does not have a clear glaze. Your food would touch the red uranium glaze ("Radioactive Red" looks orange) directly and interact with it accordingly. The same goes for the lead glazes old Fiestaware has. No, neither are not safe to eat on. Any Fiestaware made after 1986 is lead free and uranium free.

huh, interesting. Uranium glaze sounds pretty scary.

>Any Fiestaware made after 1986 is lead free and uranium free.
heh, given their history of material choices I'd rather not use their glassware.

Probably not every day, but occasionally to piss off anti-nuke loonies? Definitely...
So many keks would be had.

>maxes out at 1.5mR/h
>meh
The black scale of pic is in R/h, red is mR/h