Are city pigeons safe to eat?

Are city pigeons safe to eat?

I live in an urban area and there are tons of these delicious-looking birds flying around.
I was thinking of catching a few of them and prepare them for dinner. They should be easy to lure with breadcrumbs and such.

Why don't more people do this? Do pigeons taste bad?

I'd genuinely like an answer to this too.

pigeon taste awesome. the security guards at my office always catch them for their dinner. but the risk is there since you dont know what kind of stuff they had in them.

Pigeons are like bottom feeders of the land. They eat rotten and toxic shit all day and are likely full of diseases

What country do you live in?

Depends on their diet, but city pigeon is usually garbage.

This. Do not eat. Same with seagulls, usually.

Country pidgeons are fine, skip on anything that lives in a city.

There's a Vietnamese restaurant near me that serves pigeon. They probably just grab em off the street.

Always make sure the liver is ok before you do

Pigeons eat imaginary food, can you ever see what they're pecking at? NO.

Don't eat the poor cute birdies, user

They're flying rats

I'll eat your cute birdie user

in some cities they feed them wheat that's been treated to make them sterile to reduce their numbers

if you don't plan to have any kids, grab them

what part of eastern europe are you from? you ran out of swans in your local pond? although i doubt there was any there anyway

pigeons eat grains and seeds exclusively and are safe to eat

just like with any other food, don't eat it if it's diseased

Just leave crows alone

rural pigeon =/= city pigeon
Lots of people already eat rural pigeons, and even the infant meat is desired (sometimes referred to as squab). But city pigeons are a different matter. They often feed on human refuse - basically dumpster diving - and as such can harbor diseases as well as nasty toxins.

If you want pigeon OP you should either (legally) hunt the rural kinds or even farm your own.

Can I nab some pigeons and try to mate them to so I can have some nice fresh clean pigeons?

rural pigeons get diseases too, user

if the pigeon isn't diseased, it's safe to eat

doesn't matter where it lives

No. No. No and no.

This. You are what you eat after all. I remember hearing a story about a guy who made a living selling New York City pigeons to the Chinese.

You would have several pigeons living in your apartment. The drawbacks of this should become apparent quite quickly.

If you're serious about farming some animals, I'd suggest something quiet that can't fly. Maybe rabbits or guinea pigs? I think you can eat guinea pigs.

Hmmm..... Probably not, given what city pigeons eat. And even if they were safe to eat, I don't think it would be legal

Fuck no.

Completely safe.

Post pics of results.

They are actually not safe because are likely to be contaminated with lead. They like to pick at paint and sand and such. At least this is what I just read on the internet.