/g/ is too stupid to solve this

/g/ is too stupid to solve this

Help

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_pumping#Flashlamp_pumping
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

remove the switches, put a parallel current and give the electricity.
next

what you could do is make each laser meet up at there each individual glass piece (blocking the laser from hitting each other) so that just in case there out of sync... you can control when they hit each other at the same time using a lever or some mechanism to control when they both open at the same time

The wires must be perfectly equal though, otherwise the electric signal will arrive at different times.

That's not really how lasers work, the phase each one starts in will probably random, plus it will only matter if the lasers are placed at nodes or antinodes of the wavelength.

I don't think OP is talking about the lasers cancelling each others light, just destroying the other with optical power.

Anyway what is the problem, just send an electrical signal from a place equidistant from the lasers through identical wires, to account for the finite speed of propagation.

Oh I see
Yes, in that case you'll probably have to worry about the differences in transmission line delay, the power supplies, and the time it takes for them to start oscillating. All of that will probably put a lower bound on the distance between the lasers.

yeah. problem solved

The lasers won't annihilate each other because they will differ on very low lever and probably has some microscopic defects.
Unless we assume we are talking about perfect world, but in that case we could just have two timers and electrical switches to turn them on.

Green: pushing force
Red: laser
Black with diagonal lines: mirrors
Black: laser pointers or w/e
How about this? Assuming the lasers ar identical, then the buttons will trigger them exactly the same time, even if the forces from right and left aren't equal.

Sorry for crappy paint skills

Put one on Mars, one on Earth. Send signal to fire to Mars, then 1 minute later fire the one on Earth. Big badaboom.

Gonna need more information on the construction of the lasers.

Quite gud.

What if you went around the buttons and just inducted a current in both of them simultaneously by putting them in a magnetic field or some shit.

the resistence of one spring can be different than the other

Put something in between them, switch them on, move the thing.

It would have to be exactly between the lasers, or else one would get hit [math]\frac{\Delta L}{2c}[/math] faster.

easy

and here comes the fucking engineer

Yes, and?

Well, nothing. Nice trips.

>Remove button from one
>Wire both up to button on other
>Press that button

place a mirror between them, and the problem becomes time independent

Step 1: Line them up rotated 90 degrees.
Step 2: Push them together to activate the buttons
Step 3: Insert a perfect wedge down the middle
Step 4: The lasers will both fall to reach their original position at the same time hitting each other at the same moment.

That was my first thought

Major problem OP, photon's won't interfere as you expect.
Photons can interfere only if they are entangled.
In your scenario, this is no the case.

But if we assume that they are somehow entangled before they leave the lasers, and they are perfectly in sync, and they are in the perfect positions in space so the interference is destructive, then...
Then... I don't know... I just know that it's complicated.
At first it seems like the separation of the lasers gives us a margin of error.
The margin of error would be the distance between the lasers, divided by the speed of light in that medium (vacuum I guess, otherwise air would probably become ionized and opaque with 2GW laser power).
When you have the time, you can then calculate your margin of error for the length of cables connecting the 2 buttons. If it turns out you can cut them precise enough, you should be able to make the lasers destructively interfere.
Of course in practice this would probably not work.

I happen to know that this was a major issue during the creation of the first atom bomb. The scientist had to time TNT explosions in sync, so that the uranium/plutonium core would sustain the fission reaction for most amount of time. Otherwise the energy of fission separates the 2 part of the core, before it has the time to go BOOM. As far as I know this is still a military secret. So I guess it's not as simple as I proposed above.

how about energy conservation?

Wouldn't photons go right pass eachother under ideal conditions?

Energy is conserved.

They would. Two waves traveling in opposite directions would create (assuming they are mutually coherent, and beams from two lasers generally aren't) a standing wave, i.e. alternating maxima and minima of amplitude of EM field. To have a completely cancelled out field you'd need two waves traveling in the same direction and exactly 180 degrees out of phase; I'm not sure how would that work with conservation of energy, though.

Anyway OP's question didn't even have anything to do with interference. High power lasers would just fry each other.

I'd recommend fixing each mirror to the respective pointer, otherwise it will be off center and never hit each other

This implies you can create a perfectly flat surface to push on both of them. There will always be tiny defects.

The problem is impossible to solve.

If you're trying to get two lasers to annihilate each other, the solution is actually to only use one emitter and shine it at a mirror, and to be able to observe the effects you use a beam splitter in the middle.

The placement of the mirror has to be accurate to within nanometres however; which is exactly why this sort of setup was used to detect gravitational waves, because even the tiniest disturbance would cause the intensity of the laser to significantly fluctuate.

You won't get destructive interference on the whole path this way. It's high school wave physics, for fuck's sake.

just dont press the button.
just don't reply to the thread.

problem solved.

The wave does cancel itself out along the whole path, maybe not 100% due to the beam splitter though.

No it doesn't. The whole field can be completely cancelled only in the part where both waves are traveling in the same direction.

Is this a relativity question that everyone in this thread analyzed as an engineering problem?

This implies that the internal component that shorts the circuit is machined with more precision than the horizontal beam.

You cant

Assuming you can trigger electronically and get the lasers to fire within 1 µs of each other, just place them at 1 lightmillisecond distance and both will fire for ~1 millisecond before getting hit and destroyed.

you are trying to destroy canons, cut it cyclotronal and put inteference on .... giveme computer i willl tel you... magnetic spial with gravitron fluctuation is easily enriching non neutronal water that cuts neutrons troughtli cores back right, but i wont tell you where neutrons go, do suicide if you want

put them 300 000km apart and just take your sweet ass time caressing those buttons

That's my initial thought too, but how do you know the buttons activate the internal circuitry at the same amount of depression?

The lasers should be out of phase with each other by Pi.

suckers i am telling you bicoils around spining spiral its photon collider tto parrticles.... supesupercolll helii-2 with some hydrogen inside makes it goood

I love how one button is one pixel lower than the other in this drawing

THIS IS THE HYDRAULIC PRESS CHANNEL

you guys are all idiots
put a wall between the lasers, turn on the lasers, move the wall

Saw this on /g/ but can't find original

Would it work?

Why not cut the middle man, and use optically pumped lasers with exposed lasing medium?

>optically pumped lasers with exposed lasing medium

use a beam splitter you dingus

easier to use a single source and split it into two than do a totally unfeasible thing like you want

I meant something like this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_pumping#Flashlamp_pumping while taking the lasers out of their chassis, so light from a single flash lamp (or whatever was used for pumping) would reach both lasers.

The task is for the lasers to annihilate eachother

a sufficiently large glass of water would do the trick

>engineers

what in the fuck

0ms latency is impossible so the two lasers need to be apart by at least

c * (max latency)

Example

c * 0.00001 ms = 3 meters

>put a mirror at an angle
>activate lasers
>remove mirror

A real science man here

>set them 1 light year away from each other
>press them within 6 months to each other
>wait one year
>boom

hope you realize you should to take into consideration practicality, or else it's a useless solution. how exactly would you create two perfectly equal lengths of wire?

Wouldn't the energy dissipate in such a long way?

I don't understand how lasers work but my intuition tells me energy would gradually decrease?

Then you just need a bigger laser.

It's 50/50. It either happens, or it doesn't

Use an electronic timing circuit.

Done.