Are engineers basically the janitors of STEM?

Are engineers basically the janitors of STEM?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yfgs9FRD25M
youtu.be/KOqtnU2faTc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're thinking of IT.

No that would be giving them too much credit. They're basically the assembly line chumps of STEM.
youtube.com/watch?v=yfgs9FRD25M

No need to offend janitors that much. They do hard work nobody wants to do.

ITT butthurt math majors and chemists with no job.

s-shut up, I'm a chemistry student

They're the half-trained science monkeys we keep in the basement.

Engineers are the ones that help turn our ideas into reality. Much respect, brothers.

t. a mathematician

Mathematicians are the ones who solve that random nonlinear differential equation that shows up in my device.
Much respect for mathematicians
t. engineer

i would illustrate it as such:

bricklayer is to architect
what
engineer is to scientist

but also
scientist is to philosopher

> having respect for architects
Opinion discarded

>Opinion discarded
Opinion discarded

>Having respect for philosophers

Opinion discarded

heh, this was my thought process

>having respect
>ever

Opinion discarded.

>not a single engineer with a managerial position in my company
>even the lowest level team leaders are mostly math/phys/chem/econ fags

it's not like they're stupid or something, far from it. honestly i can't explain it.

Of course, they have to deal with ton of shit, everyone's life would get really messy without them. People mostly realise that they absolutely need them only when something goes to shit. They often have to work late when no one sees them.
So, yeah.

You can make a manager from an engineer, but not otherwise. You basically can make anyone a manager.
Doing engineering takes a real engineer.

Depends on what type of engineer.

I'm an engineer, and ending up in a management position is basically my worst nightmare.

Why? What's the reason?
Would you rather go into research? If yes, then you should have picked physics instead of engineering.

Or do you rather want to actually 'build' things out of your ideas?

I'm just asking out of curiosity.

> research is only done by scientists
Not him, but I hate being a leader.
I want to design cool shit and prototype

Same here. Decision-making is so taxing. I just want to design and think about cool shit.

I didn't go through years of crunching numbers and learning eleventy billion international standards so I could stare at Excel and tell people with 15 years of experience how to do their jobs. I did it to do actual engineering. I know a few people who've landed in ostensibly technical management positions and they have absolutely no use for anything they learned in engineering school. They only really need to know the ins and outs of what their department does, which means that any idiot from the street could do it with sufficient familiarization.

Also, you do realize that there are other kinds of research besides smashing atoms together in a vacuum tube? An engineering degree is an entirely valid basis for employment in R&D, which is incidentally what I do.

>he fell for the engineering major meme

no

but job growth in certain sectors makes a major more likely to be one.

What degree do you have and what do you do research in?

Mathematicians and physicists study and discover how the world works, engineers make useful things with that.

>Or do you rather want to actually 'build' things out of your ideas?

Yep. Most engineers like myself have no interest in managing people, but we also are too practical to find fulfillment in abstract fields like pure math and science. We value elegant solutions to concrete problems much in the way that a Mathematician may admire a beautiful formula.

>He fell for the single most employable 4 year degree meme

>engineering
>elegant soultions

Laugh it up engineering fags. There is a massive influx of engineering students coming out of schools within the next 2-5 years. ChemE is already fucked. You're discipline is the next premed. Welcome to the club. God help you if you are still in undergrad.

In general, I think this is true. I also think the relationship between science and engineering is more complex than this, at least with respect to computing. The devices that engineers build for me allow me to continue to push my work farther and farther as the technology improves. Without those engineers that they keep locked up in the basements at Intel, AMD, and many other companies, my work in mathematics would not be possible. Thanks, guys. At least one mathematician appreciates the hell out of what you do.

>elegant solutions to concrete problems

......ok m8.

This is why we need to spread the "he fell for the STEM meme" meme

make people believe that we are suffering

why does Veeky Forums make fun of engineers when they're the ones building products for other people to use.

most companies need them to build anything.

why the hate?

do you hate blacksmiths because they build shit?

You don't take pleasure in admiring something that's well designed?

engineers are autistic

This troll thread again with a bunch of trolls and undergrads with no idea about anything including their own degrees. There are a few exceptions though.

Because they come in here and shit up the board talking out of their asses about money and jobs

>bullying engineers

youtu.be/KOqtnU2faTc

Are horse cocks well designed from an evolutionary point of view?

Mathematicians are autistic. Thats why they appreciate "beauty" in a fucking number scribble.

It must be hard sucking cocks and typing at the same time.