Where the hell do I go to talk about Theater on Veeky Forums? It lies somewhere between Veeky Forums, /tv/, /mu/...

Where the hell do I go to talk about Theater on Veeky Forums? It lies somewhere between Veeky Forums, /tv/, /mu/, and even a little of Veeky Forums (considering the notion of playing roles).

On Veeky Forums if its about the text or the genre. On /tv/ if its about a recorded performance presented in television or film form. On /mu/ if its about the score. On Veeky Forums if it has elves..

theater is for narcissists

Performing arts threads show up on Veeky Forums a lot, and are generally accepted under the "humanities" umbrella.

There should be a /tht/ board though, since there's a board for fucking math

i took a girl to see Book of Mormon and got some prime top afterward

Hmm. I hadn't thought of Veeky Forums

Thanks. So far, it seems like /tv/ has the most interest.

I realised I would defiantly loved litrature the moment I realised I didn't watch movies and TV shows for cinematography or great acting but the plot and deeper meaning. And after sifting through some of the best movies, I had to move on to better works of art. Woo

Hasa diga eebowai

I was in a play once. It was Shakespeare's Two Gentlemen of Verona + Gilbert and Sullivan songs. I played 3 characters and had to move around set pieces. It was my first college play. I auditioned for the Hermit in Young Frankenstein the musical. I got the part, but I was struck down with colitis. I was shitting blood. I was so excited to play the part too. :(

I just did A Midsummer Night's Dream amateur theatre production. Shit was cash - was playing Demetrius.

underrated

Cinematography from good directors almost always has a relation to that "deeper meaning" you're talking about. Watch Citizen Kane again and take note of Welles' angles. They add emphasis, set the tone, highlight features, etc. Cinematography is like prose in literature. Some people read for plot, some read for prose. Some watch films for plot, some watch for cinematography. Ultimately they should compliment each other in both, but that's besides the point

>assuming Veeky Forums is a place to discuss all things

I think what I meant was in a novel you can convey a much wider variety of stories with such description and it leaves some for you to imagine!
>beside the point?

I had the privilege of seeing Book of Mormon in New York a few years back, it was a wonderful experience.
top tier post

Not necessarily THE place, but it's certainly an interesting one.

>constant regurgitation of memes
>interesting

kys

did you get to use the argument that proper method acting would require you having regular sex with Hermia?

meta

OH. MY. GOD. Did you literally just now choose to not keep that UTTER bullshit to yourself?

I sure hope for your own good that you'll see just how wrong you are.

Memes are a side effect of people devoting a huge amount of time to their hobbies here. The truth is that if you want to actually learn about a specific subject, places like reddit will give you a colorful, simple introduction, but Veeky Forums is filled with people who are autistically obsessed with their chosen topics and will give you real information if you can sift through the mocking bullshit.

narcissist detected

Hahaha fuck

top kek.

This. Dated someone who was heavily involved in theatre for 3 years. Have also performed in multiple pit orchestras. Those involved in theatre are perhaps the most narcissistic and self righteous individuals I have ever come in contact with. They think they're God's gift to the earth and are doing some kind of invaluable, irreplaceable service to the world whenever they put on a show. It's fucking horrible.

This is true. I have cycled through many of the blue boards and they are always the first place where I have found valuable information on how to seriously pursue an interest.

>Memes are a side effect of people devoting a huge amount of time to their hobbies here.

no, they devote a huge amount of time shitposting. look at how Veeky Forums is always talking about entry level authors or how /tv/'s taste in film is so pleb it hurts. maybe this is true for Veeky Forums but here? they just meme because they honestly have no idea what they're talking about.

> Veeky Forums is filled with people who are autistically obsessed with their chosen topics and will give you real information if you can sift through the mocking bullshit.

there's maybe 2 people who can help you in particularly obscure subjects around here.

why does theater still exist when we have movies? the sets and costumes are worse and you're always aware that you're watching people act on a stage.

/tv/ is a humor board more than anything else for reasons that escape me. I guess movies and shows are just easier to quote into oblivion. But in all honesty, I've looked and never come across a place on the internet as well-versed in literature as Veeky Forums. There's plenty of stupid shit and frogposters that enjoy ruining everything they come across, but to call all the taste here entry-level is stupid. Compare it to a place like /r/books. I'm not saying it's a perfect bastion of knowledge, I'm saying it's the best place available.

My experience with it being interesting mainly comes from Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums honestly.

>I've looked and never come across a place on the internet as well-versed in literature as Veeky Forums.

join a mailing list/skype group from a graduate literature department, you'll be able to shitpost at a much higher level.

How the hell do I do that?
I don't have a degree in any humanity

but do you have humanity to any degree?

make friends

>Friends
REEEEEEEEEEEE

I would legitimately be interested in joining one of those if there was a real way to go about doing it

If you've ever seen a really good play, you know that there is definitely a certain power to "being there" with the events happening in front of you.

Good timing, OP. I'm going to the theatre tonight and will report back. It has been a few years since I've gone so I'm really looking forward to it.

What're you going to see?

I think you discovered the nucleus of celebrity culture

A local production of Born Yesterday. I know almost nothing about it but it has been favorably reviewed and I had nothing else to do in a new city so I bought a ticket last minute.

Because it doesn't exist purely for muh immersion.

Also theatre is better suited to comedy than most movies are, since the nature of the art encourages a bit more exaggeration and silliness, and it feels better being in the presence of funny people rather than watching them on a screen.

Are you ever not aware that you're watching people act on the screen? If so, that sounds like a mental disorder/disability.

Can we include OPERA in this thread?

I'm going to see Eugene Onegin in November, and Die Meistersinger von Nürnburg next year.

The latter should be fun; a five and a half hour performance with 2 intermissions.

I guess if we're talking about libretti, if so, I'm posting a picture of the best librettist

>assuming Veeky Forums is the place to discuss anything

The problem with theater as a hobby/interest is that it's not as easily accessible. In order to be on top of the 'scene' you pretty much have to live within easy access of New York, London, or maybe Chicago. Also, it's more expensive than books, video games, or movies (and you certainly can't pirate it)

>since there's a board for fucking math
really, which one?

That's not really true. If you live in a good sized city, there is probably a theater near you. It won't be Broadway caliber but that's ok. Many of them still have talented actors putting on well known productions and they are worth seeing. Depending on the city, you can often get tickets for well under $50 which, when you consider that it is a once per month cost, isn't bad at all.

I've spent over a decade in theatre and he is absolutely correct. Theatre is for narcissists, or rather it turns people into narcissists.

>>Actors are trained monkeys who are a dime a dozen, yet think they are gods gift to man

>>Directors are mostly tyrants who don't have any power or control in real life and go on a powertrip when they are given any.

>>The only redeemable people are the techies who work with their hands and design everything the actors interact with.

And before you ask no I wasn't just a tech, I have worked in every position in the field (save costume design, I have no clue how they do it) and spent most of it acting.

>Drama
>Theatre

kek

>replies to one line post
>"here's my entire personal life story, you might find it useful because it somewhat touches upon the subject"
>"thus I prove that universally theatre is for narcissists"
did you forget to take your meds against projection again user

(what's also fun is that he the dramatic prodigy completely misses that the second post was a joke)

(and btw that second post you quoted was a joke, Mr. Dramatic Prodigy)

>well under $50
Wait, what? There are many theatres in my city and the most expensive tickets I've ever seen were $25, and those were for the fanciest seats for opera and ballet productions. Are there really places with $50 tickets?

Im glad there is no theater chat so we avoided the onslaught of limousine liberals jerking off to Hamilton.

Des Moines Metro Opera tickets can be pretty expensive, but they have really professional productions too though

I'm going to be honest and say that the thing that annoyed me most about the Hamilton craze was that everyone started claiming they always liked musical theater because of it and it was used as an excuse by autistic theater nerds to say they weren't racist because they saw it.

Otherwise though, Hamilton felt like one of the minstrel versions of many musical comedies and other things back in the early vaudeville days. Like the black Pinafores that people liked to see.

It was just disheartening that a mostly black musical decided to change white people to black people instead of drawing on actual black american stories.

try >>>/lgtb/

nvm somebody already made that joke and i don't know what that board is actually called

what's the board for math faggot

The one near me has $25 tickets in the back and $70 tickets in the premium area. Those are Friday/Satuday evening prices though and they are cheaper at other times.

How new are you user

Veeky Forums is for science in general, not just math.

Veeky Forums - Science & >Math
the fuck kid

Veeky Forums if it's about the greeks
/tv/ if it's sheit
/mu/ if you want to get memed

Haha, maybe you're right, perhaps I am projecting.

Though maybe it's a bit of truth too.

True

Theater is one of the oldest forms of story telling.

congrats, you probably live in oklahoma or something

>everyone lives in USA

>prices in USD

I converted them. I don't expect everyone to recognize a currency from a country they've never heard of.