What are some good books on physics, chemistry, geology, biology, any brain science, or astronomy?

What are some good books on physics, chemistry, geology, biology, any brain science, or astronomy?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
motionmountain.net
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_material

I've seen that before but I'm looking for just books not textbooks.

Oh, you're looking for popsci books? I guess I can help.

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. It's basically an astronomy book, though It touches all subjects. From the origin of the universe and the laws behind it, etc., until today.

Cosmos by Carl Sagan. Kinda the same as above, though it doesn't just skims the other subjects. It goes kinda deeper.

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan. Basically a science history book. How we went from being ignorant to being less ignorant. My personal favorite.

The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins. Great book on evolution. He starts from today and goes all the way back to the beginning, in high detail. Barely any mention of religion and god, unlike some of his other books.

The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking. It's got black holes, and shit.

Well, I think that's as far as I go.

Not really popsci I just don't have the cash for textbooks and I read all of them except the Dawkins one lol.

Also I fucking loved a demon haunted world too.

>A Brief History of Time
>The Universe in a Nutshell

If I read this, will I know everything?

Only if you're an highschooler.

Then what's the point?

That book is great isn't it. Anyways, there are textbooks and there are general science books ie. popsci books. There isn't much in between. I guess you could read Feynman's Lectures on physics. It is in a textbook format, though It tries to restrict the math to absolute minimum. And it's free to download, so there is that.

Yes, though only superficially.

I, for one, liked it in high school.

I had a girlfriend in highschool

My whole highschool was in my girlfriend

To each his own.

I read most of that too, you think I should spend a 100$ Amazon gift card on a textbook?

Im at a community college rn getting my basics out of the way before I go off to study physics and I'm just afraid that when I get the text book I wont understand it without a class or some physics classes other then the precalculus and calculus ive taken .

> I'm just afraid that when I get the text book I wont understand
That's kinda the point, isn't it? Textbooks are there to make you understand them through examples, explanations, and exercises. Also, here is another good book to get your intuitive understanding of physics, as a kind of preparation for your study motionmountain.net

Lol I ment not understand it because of required prior knowledge but I guess I could always use the internet if I know what to look for. Also thanks for that Ill look into it.

My highschool was my girlfriend

Great physicists: the life and times of leading physicists from Galileo to Hawking / William H. Cropper.

the book contains biographies of some of the most influential physicists. alot of the biographies contain excerpts from other books, which gives you some further works to check out.