Are Electrical Engineers required to know how to code? If so...

Are Electrical Engineers required to know how to code? If so, doesn't that make them far superior to Computer Scientists (I know coding isn't the only requirement)?

>Are Electrical Engineers required to know how to code

Yes, typically Matlab and C++.

>If so, doesn't that make them far superior to Computer Scientists (I know coding isn't the only requirement)?

Even majors that don't require coding are far superior to computer science.

Go to any university electrical engineering program and look at program syllabus. Youll see that a lot of the courses are based on circuit design, physics of electricity and so forth. Yes there is some coding, but no thats not what an electrical engineer is supposed to do. Think of tesla + elon musk when you think of electrical engineering

>Are Electrical Engineers required to know how to code?

all engineers should know how to code. its par for the course.

But at least at most colleges, you finish with a math minor. Pay can be solid as hell but I'm beginning to realize I may be selling my sell to the devil. I only have an A.A. I can change after a transfer? Yes, I had to go the CC route due to circumstances.

selling my soul*
As in it will most likely be boring as hell

Cool. Shame to hear one of the Tesla's failed but it was bound to happen eventually. GPS definitely isn't perfect yet.

>But at least at most colleges, you finish with a math minor

Only if you go out of your way to substitute the joke CS discrete "math", """discrete probability""", and numerical methods courses with the superior math versions and take vector calculus and ordinary differential equations which most CS programs don't require.

And no one cares about minors unless it's a foreign language.

Coding doesn't really have that much to do with computer science. That's why you have software engineering as a separate program.

>thats not what an electrical engineer is supposed to do
>what are microcontrollers
>what are hardware description languages
>what is matlab
>what is labview (inb4 not a real programming language, sometimes you need to augment it with C)
Sure not every electronic engineer has to do that, and that's a very specific kind of coding, but still.

EE student here. I had to take C (just regular C, not C++) and will probably end up taking Java as well.

a lot of the programming that an electrical engineer learns is how to communicate with electronic devices... getting a micro controller to do what you want it do. computer scientists aren't concerned with hardware outside of computers for the most part

i know methlab and its goood in heat pipe it crystals doesnt overcolll

EE here. I know that my track calls for two CS classes. I'm in the first one now, and it's nothing but C++. I believe the second one expands on the C++ stuff and goes into a bit of theory.

Fun stuff, will try to learn some other languages in my spare time.

But yeah, I'm definitely pretty superior.

superior in what way?

Charming, worldly, chiseled jaw...

Matlab and C++ are garbage languages. If you do EE you should beat the CS fags on their home turf by learning about programming languages and algorithms.

CS + EE + mech eng proficience is god tier.

t. CS major building robots in my spare time

>Brain dead monkey banging wires on a bread board
>Learns how to code
>Not understanding the Mathematics behind their code

If you're doing anything with any semblance of academic rigor (meaning, engineering physics or maths) you will be doing coding in MATLAB or something similar at least once in every year level and nearly all research you encounter will involve computational simulation. Any problem you can write down a solution to has already been solved so don't even think about picking up that fucking pen.

Computer science isn't only about coding.
Electrical Engineers would make shitty software engineers or anyone in IT not directly related to electronics or embedded systems.

Thanks for the reminder.

This really depends on what you focus on in electronics.