Why are there no special recipes for chicken noodle soup? All I'm getting is

>chicken stock
>chicken
>carrots
>celery
>onion
>egg noodles (add after soup is done)
>basil, oregano and seasoned

Is this really it? Does chicken noodle soup end there?

Other urls found in this thread:

dulanotes.com/david-changs-chinese-chicken-noodle-soup/
youtube.com/watch?v=wumfuSw2i68
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rosemary and thyme is noice too

But yeah, thats pretty much it. Maybe marinate the chicken in some kind of honey/pepper/salt/oregano/thyme/rosemary mixture and slow roast it before you add it in the soup

you don't need to overcomplicate nice things.

Noodles are for fools. Now, dumplings on the other hand...

Cracker barrel is my secret lover

dear lord, I love pate au choux dumplings

dulanotes.com/david-changs-chinese-chicken-noodle-soup/

Also, fuck celery

The real cooking is in the stock and the preparation. Imagine showing OP's post to someone who can't cook, and telling them to make soup.

Don't lie, we all know someone who'd put a box of chicken stock from the store shelf, chopped mirpoix, a can of chicken breast (the kind that's near the tuna), some pre-mixed Italian herb seasoning, and the pasta all in a big stock pot at the same time, then nuke it on the stove until it comes to a full rolling boil.

Then be super proud of what they just did

Reminds me of grandma's tbqh. Sometimes you lower-quality food just hits the sweet spot.

(that being said, home-made gelatinous stock and squeaky dumplings with my near-shredded chicken is also my jam)

Well, I ended up making some tonight. I tried to spice things up by browning chicken thighs, then adding water and bouillon cubes and stewing that before throwing the rest in. Then pulling the thighs out and de-boning them.

Still tasted good, but it still tasted like fucking chicken noodle soup. I just wish there was a way to make this stuff pop. I'm thinking mushrooms next time, but that won't do much other than adding more chunks to eat.

Also, a bay leaf helped a bit.

I really like putting red pepper in my soup. Chickpeas are great for substance too if you're on a budget.

parsnips

youtube.com/watch?v=wumfuSw2i68
Make sure you have annotations on.

Add pasta to make it noodle soup if you like. This is as good as chicken soup gets. Or if you're insane like me, go on and make his consomme recipe.

Sesame oil sriracha scallions soy sauce sssssss

You fucked up. The best thing you can do is make the stock yourself instead of using bouillon.

thyme bay and some lemon juice, ditch the basil

soy sauce and pepper with some tobassco is nice

implying that isn't how exactly how i make it sans canned chicken (gotta boil a chicken breast instead son)

Such a disappointment when someone says they made chicken soup and you go over and that's what they made.

"Oh, thanks for the soup! It was good," you say as you sadly think to yourself nobody you know cooks anymore.

You gotta make the stock. And if you didn't use a whole bulb of garlic, you didn't use enough.

I've never thought about it but you're absolutely right

also a bit of ginger for some kick. fresh grated from the root is best but ginger powder will do

the homemade thick egg noodle are best, they come out like a cross between a dumpling and noodles

It's a simple dish. The variation you'll find is almost entirely in what spices to use, even in your proverbial "Grandma's secret recipe".

personal preference but it's gotta be dark meat instead of white meat. to me no matter how moist and juicy it is, white meat just tastes dry

Honestly I vastly prefer soup made from a can or bullion cubes or powder packets to actual boiled chicken plus noodles. Is that because I'm uncultured or because I'm autistic?

it's most likely the salt level, just add some soy sauce(a.k.a. liquid salt) till you get the saltiness you want, because the one thing those three things you mentioned have in common is unless otherwise stated, they're pretty high in salt

okay I've been doing this a lot lately...

After baking chicken (whole, thighs, whatever), I take out the bones and pack the meat up for lunches. I don't do it carefully, so that there is still some meat on the bones, like 1cm or so thickness. I also scrape up any crispy bits from the baking sheet.

Soup:
Dump the chicken bones and bits into pot and cover with water (2L or so?). Boil for at least a couple hours. If I want more meat in the soup I sometimes poach a couple chicken boobies at the same time. Remove chicken breasts when they are done, after 20min or so. Shred and reserve the meat.

After the couple hours of boiling, remove the bones. Strip any remaining dark meat and put into the pot.

To the pot add:
1-2 bay leaves
few sprigs thyme (fresh is worth it)
a large carrot, diced*
a large onion. diced*
2-3 stalks celery, diced*
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, as with any other flavourings)
salt to taste

*should be at least a cup or so of each diced veg

Boil til the veg is soft. Add the remaining meat and serve. I usually make a pot for the week.

If you make the salt high enough I think it tastes very similar to canned chicken soup, except with more flavour... Eating them side by side the canned soup is like vaguely chickeny salt water

Yeah, so in the recipe above I reserve all the white meat til the end so that it's not dry... makes a big difference compared to white meat that's been boiled for an hour or two in soup

Not sure if it's a given, but I saute the mirpoix in a little olive oil first before adding the stock. This is also when I add the bay leaves. I like adding garlic paste too, so it dissolves instead of staying in diced bits in the soup.

As for the stock itself, I keep a Tupperware in the back of the freezer and collect all the carrot tops, celery ends, and onion chunks over the course of a few months and use that to start it. I've noticed it gets more color if you leave the skin on the onion. I'll also toss in whatever dried up herbs I have in the fridge, rosemary, thyme, basil, curly parsley, etc. Gotta give it a little salt and some whole black peppercorns. Maybe a single dried chili if I want some spice.

What really makes it legit is when I have a carcass left over from a rotisserie chicken from the store. That collagen from the skin and bone really contributes to how savory it is. Once that gets to a hard simmer, I'll poach whatever meat I'll use in there too. Thighs work great, but breasts are fine too. This way I can shred it separately and add it at the end with the noodles so it doesn't overcook and get tough.

Also the user that mentioned lemon juice is spot on. Though I noticed that if I add it to the whole pot, the soup becomes bitter, especially when you reheat the soup the next day. So I usually just add it to the bowl after serving.

>I saute the mirpoix in a little olive oil first before adding the stock. This is also when I add the bay leaves. I like adding garlic paste too
Me too, but I don't put garlic in chicken noodle soup. I love garlic, but it overpowers the stock too easily.

I've done the home made stock through boiling a whole chicken with a herb satchel, then de boning, then adding the veggies, adding home made noodles, even done minor deviations like turnips, corn, corn or peppers. Creamy to watery consistency.

In the end, its allw ay more effort than its worth. Chicken soup is an inexpensive peasant soup. Use canned or boxed stock or broth it doesn't really matter. You can toss in meat from a supermarket rotisserie chicken, use cheap egg noodles, and diced mirepoix. season from your spice rack. It'll have the same nutrition and taste just fine. Its soup, don't pretend you're making a michelin star meal.

I like to add matzoh balls; they're a hardier dumpling. Its called jewish penecilin for a reason, its cheap and works well when you're sick and can't taste much anyway. Its not a textural soup either.

I like to add "Chinese Salt" to my soup, which is of course MSG. Compared to normal made soup it's way tastier. Also try adding garlic, savory, and bayleaves, all three of which should be staples in any kitchen.

Sometimes simple is best.

I add cajun seasoning to mine.

add maggi

chicken soup is garbage if you don't make the stock yourself out of a full carcass
also fuck noodles

Figured this thread is as good as any to ask in, as I'm new to Veeky Forums and don't know the pace/culture here.

TL;DR: Got bones, want stock, how do.

I've gotten into the habit of buying frozen chicken thighs because they're easy to prepare and relatively cheap per weight of meat compared to the breast or minced variants. A 2,5lb bag lasts me and my gf about a week and a half. After one or two such bags I started saving the bones after each meal in baggies in the freezer. I might have done goofed, but I reckon that since I froze them right after heating, it would be alright.

I wanna boil stock on them, but I hate choosing one of the clickbait recipies online, so I thought to come here. Dunno exact weight of bones, and can wait till I have more, but does anyone have an idiot proof "how granny did it" method of making stock from bones?

My initial idea for an essay into the world of bonejuice (meaning what I'd do if I had only the bones and veggies, and had to make it right now):
I would crack the frozen bones on my butcher block with a rolling pin or pestle to expose the marrow, then put them in a pot and fill until about an inch of water above the bones. Then boil under lid for 2-3 hours, before removing the lid, adding more water if necessary and boiling again for 4-5 hours. Then strain out the bones and fragments and freeze the stuff in ice cube baggies after cooling it off.

How far off am I? Will I die?

Stock takes a long time to make, you can't do a "right now" sorta thing. The stuff inside the bones needs heat and time to get out.

put the bones with some meat (including skin and fat) in some water, add your bouquet garnis and seasoning, no veggies and simmer for a few hours. If you add veggies, simmer, then make the soup, they'll be mush.

I wouldn't advise cracking bones and simmering them; you're more likely to get bone shards in your broth, and bone shards are not very tasty.

I intend to use one of those strainers used for flour (sifter?) to remove shards and shit. Also there's some skin and stuff on the bones already, but I guess I can put in leftovers from next chicken meal as well.

What kinds of erbs do you recommend? I love teragon and would die for a teragon-chicken broth, am also not a big fan of herbes provence (it smells like soap).

tarragon, sage, maybe a little rosemary, savory fall herbs that you might find in turkey stuffing.

Again, I wouldn't recommend cracking bones even if you strained it through a cloth filter, which you still want to do anyway.

The reason you want a little meat and fat is for flavor. Theres a difference between stock and broth. But the meat and particularly the fat gives it the best flavor and body.

Tarragon and chicken are a great combo. Thyme and Sage, maybe a little rosemary and garlic would be tasty IMHO

Dont listen to this guy, hes obviously a mouthbreathing troglodyte and im amazed he can type words
As if anyone wouldnt strain the stock

Dont add skin or fat, you will just be scooping it out at the end and it adds nothing good. Adding gristle or cooking at a high heat turns the stock milky and imo undesirable.
Simmer not boil on a low heat for as long as possible if you want your stock to be clear, i do mine for around 18 to 20 hours

Do crack bones because you are obviously going to strain it

Add celery, carrots, parsley, onions, plus any other old veg and herb stalks you want

Im making spicy oriental chicken broth tomorrow for sunday lunch, swapping courgetti and spiralized carrots for noodles
Will post pics

20 hours of simmering, whew. Whole apartment is gonna smell chicken for days.

Okay, so do you reduce it at some point? I don't intend to use it right away, just want to make my own so I can stop with the "mostly salt, really" maggi cubes. (and make superior poutine and tomato soup)

I like having it in bags in my freezer so its isnt reduced too much, if you want to reduce it to save space just dont add water and keep the lid off

An actively used freezer is seriously the best tool in my entire arsenal. Compared to other students who don't have one cause of lack of space, I spend less on food, cook more myself and save leftovers in a better way. Can't wait to try boilin dem bones tomorrow.

Thanks all for tips and tricks. Will report back some time with results if above expectations.

How to make stock itelligently:

Collect all chicken bones and giblets until you have about 2 pounds (1 kg for eurofags.) Place in pressure cooker and cover with cold water. Heat until simmering and cover set to 10 lbs pressure. Cook for 3 hours. Voila! The best stock; gels when refrigerated.

No spices, salt or anything else. That's added when you're actually cooking. If you're lacking in chicken bones, add any other meat bones you happen to have.

Anything else is pure faggotry.

No seriously he's trolling you. 20 hours of cook time is too long. And you do want skin and fat for flavor. Don't believe me? Just google how to make a decent chicken stock or broth. Look on youtube as well.

Don't have pressure cooker.

Buy one, dumbass.

Honestly the process of collecting enough scrap meat over a period of weeks and then doing all this other shit is not worth the $3 or whatever you save by not buying premade chicken stock

>better to buy premade when you can make a thick, gel stock with pressure cooker in 3 hours.

Apparently too "busy" (memester detected) to turn on a burner and let it go for 3 hours. Let me guess. You're an american female. Congratulations. I heard Popeyes is having a 2 for one special. See you in the Walmart sugar aisle.

I didnt ask for a fucking order list from debuyer, cocksling, I asked for a method. You are the opposite of helpful. You are also an american. Buying appliances and tools for single projects is retarded.

Know what? I dont give a shit. I save bones instead of throwing them out because I don't WANT the premade stock, not to save money. I don't know where you retards popped out from, but I can assure you your posts are unwanted.

I don't use basil and oregano. Not a fan of basil and oregano doesn't quite agree with me.

chicken stock
chicken
carrots
celery
garlic
Chinese Chives
rice wine
diced mushooms ( added in the last 20 minutes )

Whole wheat egg noodles

It's been my favorite so far.

How make stock the mans way. PUT bones in a pot. add water. Put pot on burner until a very slight simmer. Put pot into 180F oven overnight. Stock. add aromatics for an hour or so before you're ready to use it. NEVER BOIL STOCK; NEVER LET THE STOCK SIMMER. Nary a bubble!

Pressure cookers are universally useful though and complete a function that nothing else can. It's not like a rice cooker that competes a function that any pot and a person who knows what rice smells like when it's done can accomplish.

>asked for a method.

See unless you still can't understand the definition of method you ungrateful, fucking bitch.

>No spices, salt or anything else.
I dunno, if I'm making stock for chicken soup I like to put a hand full of carrots into the water. It adds color and, perhaps only in my head, tastes better.

I worked there. It's gross. Don't eat there.

Good bennies for a restaurant though, right?
A waitress from an actual good place I frequent recently quit and started working at a new Cracker Barrel. She said it was more money and actual benefits.

Also, serious question: Can black people eat there or is it only for crackers?

t.dumbarse that knows fuck all

Seriously im not trolling anyone
Meat and marrow for flavour, skin and fat is just greasy shit you have to skim off the top at the end

20 hours is optimal but 12-14 hours is fine if it is more practical

I added some broccoli to mine yesterday, it was pretty good

Chilli
Garlic
Ginger
Cilantro/Corriander
Red pepper
Pak choi or other cabbage
Light soy sauce
Sesame oil
Green/spring onions

That should make a nice twist!

You're all misinformed, actually. Skin and fat honestly do very little to enhance stocks without the bone and especially the meat they're attached to. I learned this years ago when I tried to make stock at a restaurant with nothing but wing tips and skin as an experiment; it was terrible. Basically just greasy water.

Also, you should never "boil" stock as previously noted; this will seriously fuck your shit up in more ways than just making it cloudy. I keep my chicken stock at roughly 175 degrees Fahrenheit (80 degrees Celsius), which is an extremely low simmer. You should just see a few bubbles coming up slowly, almost like steeping tea.

Indeed, 20 hours is entirely too long to make stock. 12-14 is also far too long. It's far overcooked at that point and the flavor will be muddy.

Many of us grew up with the image of the stock pot on the back of the stove all day in our minds, and I once subscribed to the thought that the longer, the better for stock, but that's simply not the case. 3-4 hours at the above temperature is perfect. I learned this from a chef with a degree in organic chemistry and years of experience in industrial food chemistry labs; there are reactions that begin to take place after that amount of time that adversely affect the flavor of your stock. I didn't want to believe him but after tasting stock that cooked for 3 hours next to stock cooked for 12, the difference was obvious. I urge you to try it, you'll be amazed.