Pie Crust

Is there a good in-depth pie crust guide anywhere?

I can't seem to ever get it right, no matter what it slides back down into the pan and gets all fucked.

I just want to make one fucking pie with a proper looking crust, it's driving me nuts.

Other urls found in this thread:

epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/thin-butter-crust-104113
seriouseats.com/2015/10/how-to-make-pie-dough-step-by-step.html
seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/old-fashioned-flaky-pie-dough-recipe.html
blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/11/23/blind-bake-pie-crust/
youtu.be/LoWCMzHWlRk
youtube.com/watch?v=LoWCMzHWlRk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

LAMINATION

?

Anyone?

What are you doing OP? What's your starting point/recipe/technique?

fuck you if that wasn't enough to get you going give up

I wanted to do a thin crust for pumpkin pie.

I think I used this recipe.
epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/thin-butter-crust-104113

I don't know what you mean by technique.

i have 2 sources, one involves a food processor the other one doesnt, the hand one is more flaky but does take longer, so i just go for the processor one.
seriouseats.com/2015/10/how-to-make-pie-dough-step-by-step.html

seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/old-fashioned-flaky-pie-dough-recipe.html

I'm bad at crust but in the case of pumpkin pie I feel the need to drop this tip: do NOT use evaporated milk or condensed milk. Heavy cream only. You may need more sugar to make up for lack of evap milk. I just made your pie 100x better.

>pastry flour

no

Never had problem with the filling, I'll give your recommendation a shot though, I'll have plenty of pumpkin left over either way.

I just use AP like a pleb. I have cake flour in a box though. Was going to make something with it, can't remember what, but plans dell through.

fell*

blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/11/23/blind-bake-pie-crust/

I used the double pan method last time and it turned out great.

I've only ever made one kind of pie crust, using the 3:2:1 method, and it always works great for me:

3 parts AP flour + salt (2g of salt for each 100g of flour)
2 parts unsalted butter, diced into bits then blended into the flour with a pastry cutter
1 part cold water, added so that the dough all comes together (don't add all the water at once, use only as much as is absolutely necessary for the dough to come together.

Once the dough holds itself together, I stick in my refrigerator and let it rest for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out for pie crust.

A batch made with one standard stick of butter (4 oz/ 116g) is enough for two average standard pie crusts.

I got three pie crust recipes that never fail. Puff, french crumble, and graham cracker (except it's made with digestive biscuits). I can hook you up with them when I get home, if you like.

Puff for meat pies, french for fruit pies, digestive for cream/custard and such.

For sure.

Hit me up with dat Puff senpai

Are you letting it rest in the fridge? Also try almond flour pie dough they taste so much better

This is all you need, OP
youtu.be/LoWCMzHWlRk

Make sure it isn't warm when it goes in. If you live in a hot climate that'll fuck with your pastry. And to stop it sliding down, roll it out larger than the dish and leave it hanging over the sides. You can trim it up after blind baking.

>obviously not enough water in the crust when he transfers it to roll

Triggered.

Fuck short crust pastry. Crumb base cheesecake or yeast dough pies is all I'm ever doing again.

Cooks Illustrated will teach you all about crust. Buy "the science of cooking"

Alright, here's the french and digestive. Can't find the puff right now.

French Crumble (makes two ~10 inch rounds)
2 1/2 cups flour
Tsp salt
2 tbs powdered sugar (plus some for dusting)
1/2 cup shortening (I use crisco)
1/2 cup butter
2 egg yolks
Milk

Sift flour, salt and 2 tbs powdered sugar into a large bowl. Cut in shortening and butter until it's nice and crumbly. Crack your egg yolks into a measuring cup, and add milk to make 1/3 cup, and mix it up. Mix this into the dough with your hands. Refrigerate before rolling. Roll between cling film, wax or parchment paper.

Digestive Crust (makes one bottom shell)
8 oz digestive biscuits (for americans, these are sweet bran cookies. They can be found at import shops like cost plus world market, and sometimes in grocery stores. Found them at Roths once, I think.)
4 oz butter
2 tbs caster sugar (you can use regular granulated or whiz your granulated in a food processor for a few seconds. It don't matter, really.)

Melt the butter and sugar in a sauce pan (don't overheat it and brown the butter). Smash the digestives (lots of ways to do this. I put them in a plastic bag and smash them with a rolling pin. Mix it all up. This recipes is a bit fucked, and I always end up having to adjust on the fly. It should be wet enough to hold itself together without getting soggy.

I'll post again if I find the puff. Please be kind to that first recipe. It's some special grandma shiz.

Oh, and for that first one, dust with powdered sugar when rolling, and dust your hands with it when you handle it.

If you care enough about your pie crust that you could see yorself doing more than mixing and rolling out the dough, the ChefSteps recipe/method is GOAT, no question.

Lazy mode: Fold the crust of the pie over the dish, blind bake if applicable, bake your pie, then cut off the excess while its still soft after your pie is done.

I think the obvious mistake OP is making and what most amateur cooks make is to bake a pie crust immediately after rolling it out. When you work with pastry and roll it out, you've worked and stretched the gluten. So as it bakes, it retracts. Causing the pie crust to shrink. I think if you used the same pie crust recipe, but roll it out the day before and let it rest overnight before baking. You'll see much better results. Try it and get back to us.

You need Bill Burr in your life, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=LoWCMzHWlRk