Is there any evidence that dragons existed on earth? Is it possible for a dragon to exist at all?

Is there any evidence that dragons existed on earth? Is it possible for a dragon to exist at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedaydreams.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/hello-world/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Define "dragon"

There is no evidence at all. What type of dragon are you talking about? Like fire-breathing ones?

fire breathing flying lizards that terrorist european vilalges and eat humans

No, and no.

Then no there is no evidence they existed. Its probably "possible" for such a creature to exist, since the description you gave doesnt seem to violate any physical law

i saw dragon in dark souls they must be real

Square cubed law makes it really impractical for large animals to fly. Dragons are also depicted most often with two wings and four legs, which isn't something that could evolve from tetrapods.

They could, but they would probably be around 3 feet long at the largest, if you mean the typical winged, six-limbed beast. Breathing fire might not be a thing, but they could probably breathe steam or something by superheating water and releasing the vapor. I think Discovery Channel had a mockumentary on dragons when I was a kid. Had my entire middle school class hype.

An animal the size of pterosaur could fly and "terrorist european vilalges", and OP didnt say it had to evolve

Pterosaurs were tiny, and they also went extinct. You're a mental midget if you think they survived the KT event.

The largest pterosaurs had a 10m wingspan and were the largest animals that have ever flown

>Azhdarchidae
,':^)

You mean the family Azhdarchidae of the order Pterosauria?

Dinosaurs kinda look like dragons, so yes and yes

Azhdarchidae of the order Pterosauria that had no teeth, only 4 limbs and in no way survived past the KT extinction or breathed fire. ,':^)

And dragons are just big birds, so double yes eh?

Dragons are based on snakes and were referred to as serpents. Try again

So? Who ever said that pterosaurs were dragons?

Only eastern dragons

I said that an animal the size of a pterosaur could fly, and was large enough to terrorise a village if it could also breath fire

dragons don't exist. stop being retarded

Of course they dont. Did you even read the thread?

Yes and yes

You can't really say that with certainty, dragons may have existed on this planet.

>Is there any evidence that dragons existed on earth? Is it possible for a dragon to exist at all?

Yeah and it was some autist wanting evidence of dragons for his bible study

>I said that an animal the size of a pterosaur could fly
Depending on your definition. Pettysaurus is usually slim and streamlined, while dragons are usually depicted as flying crocodiles the size of a house. I think they would need a 1000m wingspan to be able to fly.

Yes, yes I can. Dragons never existed. Snakes, which dragons are based on, do.

There may be evidence, but humans have either not found it or its been occulted from us muggles.

OP gave a definition for what counted as a "dragon". A fire breathing quetzalcoatlus meets that definition if you consider it a lizard

>You can't really say that with certainty
Yes we can. They are just physically impossible. Unless you are implying they were able to fly by farting magical rainbows out their bungholes, in which case I suggest you got to

Dragons have so many randomized features that none of them make sense biologically. They're myths for a reason. Quetzalcoatlus also didn't breath fire

>They are just physically impossible
That depends entirely on how big they are

I don't care about OPs definition. Nobody would be terrified of a small flying snake with feathers. The would be too busy dying of laughter. The way they are commonly depicted in myths, stories, and media, just isn't possible.

I am aware of that. OP asked if a dragon was possible, I said yes because it is conceivably possible to make a fire breathing flying lizard

>fire breathing is possible

Dragons are depicted like snakes with bat-like wings in European myth, feathered snakes in American myth, and snakes in Asia. Notice a commonality? Snakes. Pterosaurs don't have bat-like wings, had fuzz, couldn't breath fire, and died out when the non-avian dinosaurs did. Dragons aren't real. /x/ is more your speed bud

>fire breathing
>possible
wew lad

Yes, obviously. They used to be native to Wales until St. George killed them all. You guys need to brush up on your history.

Pretty sure some of them escaped to America where they were hunted down by Abraham Dovahkiin Lincoln.

I dont know or care what your point is, no one is suggesting dragons exist

Please its not that difficult to come up with a plausible mechanism for how it could be made to work

tell me how something would evolve to breath fire then.

Evolve? Why the fuck would something evolve to do that? I was talking about making it in a lab

>/x/

>making it in a lab
is there any limit to your autism

keks

Are you seriously trying to suggest to me that you cannot conceive of it being possible at some point in the future to genetically engineer an animal that can project combusting material from its mouth?

No. No it is not. List one biological way this could be possible.

>animal that can project combusting material
I project combusting material from my bunghole all the time.

sciencedaydreams.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/hello-world/

>Hi. My name is Kat, and I am a self- confessed nerd. I have a batman bath towel, a sonic screwdriver, cosplay regularly, and still play pokemon, umpteen years after it first crossed the ocean to Australia. However, I also have a science degree… and an imagination. So, today let’s look at…

keep reaching.

Something like: Methane or some other combustible gas made in digestive tract from consumed biomass, electric spark from bioelectrical system like a deep sea fish, toughened armour-like skin inside mouth/fire breathing hole.

There is nothing physically impossible about producing and expelling flammable material and then igniting it

Stop promoting your blog.

>implying the poor thing wouldn't cook itself from the inside out
>implying that the most sensitive (for a purpose) part of any organism should be armored
>implying that it could somehow have a flap like a crocodile to protect against this, which also cuts off airflow to push the fire out like a weapon
>implying

no animal naturally does it and in the case of genetically engineering one, it would die from being a shitty chimera of bad genes and no useful adaptations.

Doesnt matter whether it would kill it or not, it only matters that its physically possible

>an animal that kills itself by existing is possible

>doesnt matter whether it would kill it or not
then what's the fucking point you dumb idiot?

I wasn't implying it would be easy, practical or even in the realm of possibility for a creature to naturally evolve like that, but if a sufficiently advanced genetic engineer was having a laugh im sure he could find a way if he really wanted.

The point is its physically possible, thats the only thing ive been arguing

stop trying to justify your scalie fetish

>>an animal that kills itself by existing is possible

Why wouldnt it be? It has to exist before it kills itself in order for killing itself to be possible. No one has suggested this animal would exist naturally

you never saw braking flame spitting spaceship? because avatar oculus rifted eeg people eco so you didnt notice conntent around map sahara

Why does it have to be fire?

It could spit acid and it's basically the same

a flying lizard that spits acid is entirely possible

yeah its ur mum lol

#buuuurn

pretty sure dragons are based on someone discovering a dino fossil and saying wtf is that fucking giant dead thing

you would be wrong

During the medieval period, the illuminati would frequently pluck all the feathers from the body of a swan, save for its wings and tail then set the head on fire before setting it loose. This is believed by some to be the origin of the dragon myths. Similar things were done in Asia with fruit bats and lizard hides, which explains the difference in appearance between European and Asian dragons.

A lot of mythical creatures are partially based on unexplainable fossil findings

Flying dinosaurs existed and as far as I know humans can spit fire through artificial methods. A being spitting inflammable liquid or simply throwing massive thunders of winds over a determined inflammable source of combustion and therefore, causing a chain reaction of fire consumption as a developed strategy of attack isn't too difficult to imagine.

Pterosaurs arent dinosaurs

>Cretaceous reptile
>Not a dinosaur

Pterosaurs arent dinosaurs. Being closer related to dinosaurs than to other reptiles, doesnt make them dinosaurs.

Muslims?

Even if Pterosaurs existed and where "breathing fire" (what a waste of energy by the way), they'd be hunted for their meat and trophies in no time.
Killing birds is super easy, the larger they are the easier is is.

Breathing fire doesn't sound too unfeasible. Just needs some stomach gases and a sparkle to light it up. The mouth would need some protecting from the heat, but I guess evolution can figure it out.

Quetzalcoatlus Northropi
a member of the Pterosaur family, fossils first discovered in Texas
Lived about 68 million years ago
Wingspan from 40 to 50 feet

Meant for

They're not dinosaurs you big dumb idiot

So?

I dare you to try it out

No

reminder bombardier beetles are a thing

these niggas cray thinking it cant work

imma guess

sodium chlorate+sugar+a bit of acid would work

maybe the classic glycerin+potassium permanganate

I can shoot a flame... if I light a big fart

that's a wyvern
dragons have 4 legs

Back in ancient times, people thought dinisaur fossiles were dragon remains. Its why there are so many cultures with different dragons, but most of them had dragons.

Dinos kind of look like birds, so they thought these dragons flew. Their skulls kind of looked like reptiles, so dragons had snake or massive lizard bodies.

But no, dragons did not exist. Too big to fly and fire is too dangerous to be an evolutionary trait.

>Dinos kind of look like birds, so they thought these dragons flew.

How the fuck would you think a dinosaur looked like a bird by finding a dinosaur skull?

I guess to a certain extent they're possible.
Quetzacoatlus had about the right size and the ability to fly.
Certain large sea dinos had chemical reservoirs in their heads that could mix and combust in a breath.
Combine that with the head of some huge carnosaur and you've got a dragon.

if it didn't evolve how can it possibly exist

evolution doesn't span the entirety of the possible.
god, this is why I hate the people who look at science like its their religion.
just because something doesn't exist doesn't mean its impossible.
consider telling a sentient amoeba in the cambrian period your idea. it might agree with you, and think that humans are impossible.
a few billion years later though and you've been proven wrong.