Search catalogue

>search catalogue
>no stacks thread

post stacks, chat up like-minded anons

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_theory#Language_and_construction
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What a snoozepile

Why would you ever want to read that shite?

what is a stack and why does it deserve its own thread separate from the other two materialism generals we have in bookshelf and recent buys threads

ya know, sideways bookcases are alright cause then it's like you're reading a stack, but when you post a sideways pic of a stack, AND it's not even in the standard bookcase orientation

well, idk what but it's disgusting

Stack this!

Books look brand fucking new. You're never going to read these, yo.

I swear to god, those books are utter garbage.

What an idiotic thing to say.

The Gass book at the top might be OK lol

>he fell for the philosophy and critical theory meme

lmfao

Those books aren't critical theory.

These desu.

only ones i haven't read are Ahmad, and the Lacan and deconstruction volumes, from which I've read a handful of essays. nice try though

have you read any of them? what made you dislike them?

no critical theory here, friendo, and only the bottom 3 could be classed philosophy

Veeky Forums fails once again

>only the bottom 3 could be classed philosophy

also ricouer and flax, my b

>no critical theory here

Acts like Freudo-Marxism isn't a real thing.

>Stack
Rate, hate, consolidate.

critical theory is not the same thing as Freudo-Marxism, and you're still wrong with that "label."

god you people are real faggots

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_theory#Language_and_construction

you could have at least read the page you linked.

>Critical theory is a school of thought that stresses the reflective assessments and critique of society and culture by applying knowledge from the social sciences and the humanities.

>acts like he's not reading Freud to rationalize and attempt a non-repressive society
>acts like Marcuse's Eros and Civilization is not on his plebby bookshelf
>acts like there's no synthesis in camps in such a broad continental approach

i'm specifically interested in the psychoanalytic concept of the transference, and the appearance of transference-like dialectics in literature. to address your broader "critical theory" paranoia, though, i would add that i tend to be think that literary studies which try to "break out" onto the historical or political plateau at the conclusion of their readings are merely "transferring" the contents of the first analysis to a different problem—meaning that strictly speaking a "sociology of literature" is theoretically impossible within any degree of what could be called "knowledge." so my research is almost polemically oriented against the critical theory boogieman you've idiotically conjured in the apparition of marcuse.

i'm approaching 10,000 volumes at this point

documenting and posting seems like an overwhelming chore

but they are there, and look cool, so imagine that

*Tips

Stack coming through.

My stack has a bit of a backstory.
My uncle's house burned down 2 weeks ago, with him inside it. I was never close with him, but in his will he left me his books.
These were the only ones that weren't damaged.

Pretty good taste.

>pretty good taste
>steinbeck
>heller
>vonnegut
>herbert
>danielewski
naw

my condolences though

Nothing wrong with Heller, Vonnegut, or Steinbeck.
They're not top-tier, but not bad. Vonnegut is easily the best of them that you mentioned.
Agree on Herbert and Danielewski though.

He also has John Hawkes, Tolstoy, Faulkner, and Woolf though.

For a board that's supposed to be well read, the anons here seems to be technologically inept... Is posting upside down shelf and stack pictures a meme or something?

Okay, I'll bite. It's a repost though.

That's some good shit, OP

who is your favorite author

John Green.

more like the fire has bad taste

jealous of those teal penguins. they're my favorite of their imprints.

Samuel Beckett.

DELET THIS

i just put together a stack that makes me seem like an interesting person

housewife tier

It didn't work. Try harder next time.

bet you niggers havent heard of half of those books

>mister cobblestein
tity boyg

>projecting

they're not obscure retard. half are Veeky Forums memes and the other half are NYT best sellers

is anyone else a poorfag and just photocopies books borrowed from the public library instead of buying them?
i have a few of them which I bought, but the rest are all copies

fuck off fgagot

delineate each

>unironically photocopies shit

Have you read Dara? Nathan N. R. Gaddis and hearusfalling highly recommend him, but I get the feeling he'll be too similar to Field and Place for my taste.

are you being serious? why does it matter?

I have read his first two
-The Lost Scrapbook
-Easy Chain (the one pictured)
The Lost Scrapbook is in my top books I've ever read. It is mainly about alienation and forced separation. Told in many voices it hits on most points of modern life, pre internet.

tit

ass

dick

Dos Passos' USA trilogy. I've been thinking about copping this lately. Also, nice Dashill Hammitt collection.

bullshit

kek

I've got a few new additions lately, but I'm still proud to have the best stack on Veeky Forums - even if it isn't stacked.

the perfect stack

wow pleb taste over here

weeaboo

n-no y-you

pls no h8

that's a nice table

I also recommend log from the sea of Cortez. It's non fiction

m80, no point getting Plato's works separate when you could just get Completed Works and save yourself some space, time, and maybe money

I don't know why but I was laughing at this like a retard for a good minute. Have a repost of some shit I saw in another thread that's not even mine.

user with the dead uncle,

Made me chuckle, 8/10

I like your style OP
What can I do to prepare myself for Anti-Oedipus? I've read bits and pieces from Mille Plateaux and Cinema 1&2 already

Here's my tbr stack

I'm not even going to bother looking at the rest, but if your uncle had The Beetle Leg, he's cool in my book.

>pretending to like Hegel
boi

Hegel isn't even the weirdest or most questionable part of that pic.

a small collection of books that are special to me in some way

love that cover of cannery row

you seem like a cool person

No, it isn't, but it shows his pleb indefinitely.

Not him but complete works are usually pretty poor quality and only really seem to be bought by people who have no intention of actually reading them anyway.

be gentle Veeky Forums, im tender

you seem like a poseur

Just made the books onto my floor into a pile, sorry for the poor image quality.

Sometimes complete works are cheaper, at least for public domain authors. Also, for non-insanely-prolific writers who also didn't write 50% garbage it can be fun trying to read through everything someone ever wrote, but you have to know you really like them first.

not so much a poseur so much 'have come to terms with my dubious taste and i like what i like'
wanna take coffee with me

Just bought Anna Karenina, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and House of Leaves yesterday. Which should I read first?

>Being this contradictory

Not Anna Karenina, even with it being one of my favorite novels its still quite a slog at points.

I'd say House of Leaves, if you can get into it its incredibly entertaining.

>Russian
>German
>English

I'm jealous

That Howard Bloom anthology is the tits, yo.

I read on my cellphone with moon reader. Só we are on the same boat, friendo.

nice oldschool oblomow

oxford faust is comparatively thick; how good are oxford's introductions to german/foreign literature?

I haven't got around to Part II yet, but Part I was fantastic. You can definitely tell what Goethe was trying to do, and I think in credit, he did a good job of putting Germany on the cultural/literary world stage - in a time when most Germans of high standing merely LARP'd as Frenchies for the most part.

The introductions are by David Luke, who does a great job. He won the European poetry translation prize for good reason.

Nonetheless, I have it on good authority that Kaufmann is better - were it not for the fact that he heavily abridged Part II.