Is Dostoevsky the greatest author of all time? Why is he so patrician?

Is Dostoevsky the greatest author of all time? Why is he so patrician?

Other urls found in this thread:

saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/James-Joyce-Literary-Tastes.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.

I'm just thankful he didn't die prematurely from his sickness. I had a friend who got seizures once in a while . One time he was riding a subway and got one, fell down and hit his head and dead.

For u

He wrote soap-operas.

>not understanding the deep religious and moral issues present in his writings

Dostoyevsky is the logical conclusion of Nietzche. While Nietzche represented Russian nihilism and a gravitation towards decadence, Dostoyevsky represents the opposite and final conclusion that Nietzche tried so hard to find:

It is not the world and its universe that is chaotic, it is the people within and the decline of their morals that are.

We're talking about Dostoyevsky not dickens

This a thousand times.

>dude life sucks but believe in god and everything will be okay lmao

wow so deep

Sounds like you're a smooth handed boy who never was stricken down with nothing left in your life but lost hope and sickness, only to be lifted up by the grace of god and brought back to existence.

You get an extra snack pack for dinner today Brent.

he was a christian and not an atheist so no.

What are you even saying?

Yes he is

>Is Dostoevsky the greatest author of all time?
no

Yes he is

Deeper than any thought you've ever had you stupid amoeba

I agree with all of this, but I still give him four stars out of five

I wanted to object with some latin american magical realism authors, and then by some japanese authors, but they'd all be fuck all without Dostoevsky's hard influence... so yeah, he is. And that is why he's so patrician.

>replying to meme with nonmeme

He's my favorite, but it depends. Joyce is a better writer, as is Tolstoy, but Dostoevsky is extremely human and passionate in a way that resonates with the soul. Notably, Joyce talked about Tolstoy's comment on Dostoevsky which was something along the lines of "not the most technically skilled, but he has a lot of heart" saying that this comment holds a lot of truth, but the heart is what makes him a great writer.

I think this holds true, personally. His characters and their situations, the moral questions and rationalities they struggle through are all very real and experienced by everyone in all walks of life, for the most part.

Any author you love is heavily influenced by his work.
He isn't the greatest writer, but his work is some of the greatest written.

Joyce wrote with his head, because his heart belonged to his wife's farts. Dostoyeski wrote with his immortal soul.

>these storefront captchas wtf

You mean this?

"he is the man more than any other who has created modern prose, and intensified it to its
present-day pitch. It was his explosive power which shattered the Victorian novel with its
simpering maidens and ordered commonplaces; books which were without imagination or
violence. I know that some people think he was fantastic, mad even, but the motives he
employed in his work, violence and desire, are the very breath of literature. Much as we know
has been made of his sentence to execution, which was commuted as he was waiting for his turn
to be shot, and of his subsequent four years' imprisonment in Siberia. But those events did not
form his temperament though they may have intensified it, for he was always enamoured of
violence, which makes him so modern. Also it made him distasteful to many of his
contemporaries, Turgeniev for instance, who hated violence. Tolstoy admired him but he thought
that he had little artistic accomplishment or mind. Yet, as he said, 'he admired his heart', a
criticism which contains a great deal of truth, for though his characters do act extravagantly,
madly, almost, still their basis is firm enough underneath... The Brothers Karamozov... made a
deep impression on me... he created some unforgettable scenes [detail]... Madness you may call
it, but therein may be the secret of his genius... I prefer the word exaltation, exaltation which can
merge into madness, perhaps. In fact all great men have had that vein in them; it was the source
of their greatness; the reasonable man achieves nothing."

Though James had some bantz for him too:

"Rousseau, confessing to steal silver spoons he had really stolen, is much more interesting than
one of Dostoevsky's people confessing to an unreal murder."

saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/James-Joyce-Literary-Tastes.pdf

I got this reference . Good stuff mate

>Those digits wasted on such a banal post.

Siberian labor camps are the source of all the best writers.

No atheist is capable of producing great works of art or literature.

evidence?

>Unironically treating religion as something more that an amusing superstition
Dropped harder than a Tallboy bomb, nigger.
Just because you were too weak to do damage control and move forward with your life doesn't justify religious delusion. At least if when you snapped you started shooting up, there would be a concrete and observable benefit to using such an unwieldy crutch.

Dickens was who I first thought of when he said that, and I'm glad other people did too. Man wrote cartoons. Reasonably entertaining cartoons, but cartoons still.

nabokov/10