Why don't people just do this?

Why don't people just do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because momentum is conserved.

so just move a little bit forward and let the rotation of the earth do the rest

You could just walk there. Takes less fuel.

Also hovering over the Earth like that, you're still following it's rotation

because i am locked in uterechtat psychiatry, maybe zaitgeist

Newtons first law

Great plan except for all the friction

>Why don't people just do this?

Because everything on the Earth has the same tangential momentum as the part of the planet they're standing on. The Helicopter is going to keep on spinning around the Earth at the same rate as everything else.

For that to work you'd have to go high enough to minimize the atmospheric drag on the copter. Long before you reach that elevation, however, the pressure will be too low for the copter to sustain lift.

You could do it with a rocket or one of those zero-G planes, but I don't think youd be saving any expense.

because direct flight takes less than 12 hours

Because you're also spinning with the land, dummy.

I dont get it. Fly from usa to china with a helicopter? Because planes do a better job at long range travelling

This, they're also small and have a poor snack selection. I wouldn't like to be in a helicopter for 12 hours. Even a Cesna would be preferable.

The atmosphere is pulled along with earth as it rotates. If it didn't, then there would be constant winds of up to 1000 mph.

If the air spins with the Earth why doesn't centrifugal force spin it into the Sun?

0/10

This isn't true. Winds move haphazard against the supposed spin.

Well ok, this does work a little bit, but not in the way you think.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force

why don't you just jump for 12 hours to get to china

>everything on the Earth
the helicopter is not "on" Earth.
at which height is the helicopter counted as not on Earth?

It is. The atmosphere is part of the planet. Most people call 100km+ height as "not on earth anymore"

>Newton's laws

Helicopters can't leave the troposphere so for the purposes described in this bait helicopters are never counted as not on the earth.

Would be very exhausting

the atmosphere is part of the earth and moves with it. like the ocean.

huh, really makes you think

What if you go really high?
Like into space
>Wait 12 hours
and go back down

Would work, but leaving the atmosphere requires way more fuel then just flying to china.

You're a big guy

This

kek