Soylent

Soylent halts sales of its powder as customers keep getting sick

>Liquid meal maker Soylent is stopping sales of its flagship powder, warning that a handful of customers reported stomach sickness after consuming it.

latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-soylent-recall-20161027-story,amp.html

>he fell for the meme diet

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZDfVUCVboZ8
youtu.be/t8NCigh54jg?t=1369
files.soylent.com/pdf/soylent-nutrition-facts-2-0-en.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's more like uncontrollable vomiting. They're playing it down

Anyone who reads the Soylent ingredient list and thinks, "This sounds like a healthy thing to eat every day" completely deserves what they get.

Just looked up soylent, doesn't really seem like a good deal monetarily. Is this just for fatties with no self control trying to lose weight by surrendering to a product?

it's for people who like to think that they're too occupied with vitally important business to cook

basically a bunch of fuckhead tryhard tech people who could disappear tomorrow without anyone noticing

like said, they deserve what they get

It's not for people who want to diet. It's for neets who can't cook and who are afraid of social interaction going out to get food.

It's not for NEETS see

>a bunch of fuckhead tryhard tech people who could disappear tomorrow without anyone noticing

My boss asked us if we needed these for the office and then we realized we weren't a bunch of disposable programmers and American engineers that need to work at a slave-labor pace to keep our jobs.

Clearly it could be for multiple different applications. But of all the times it's been discussed here (waaaay to many to count) the supporters have always been neets.

Also, I work in the tech industry, and so are many of my friends. At work we've never so much as mentioned soylent, and many of them have never heard about it until I brought it up.

I'm sure there are some techies who might consider it (along with busy business travelers, lazy soccer moms, etc.) but what I've seen online has been strongly leaning towards NEETs

Hmm you have a good point

you could apply the same argument to any fast food ever

>what I've seen online has been strongly leaning towards NEETs
gee I wonder why
that shit is too expensive for your average NEET, while for some asshole who works at Pinterest it's probably just right

except that in the modern USA, fast food is universally looked down on as something only fit for poor people and the super fat
snobby techlords like the convenience of fast food but also like to optimize things, leading to the "perfect nutritional profile" with none of that pesky cooking

>like to optimize things

So why aren't they optimizing flavor?

Anorexic chainsmoking neets exist but obese neets are the majority, and obese neets didn't get obese by being too ~socially awkward~ to obtain junkfood every 3 hours

But yeah soylent didn't deserve to even get as far as it did, good riddance. Just ask mom to buy a fedora-free mass gainer from wallmart if you're that desperate to have liquid shits in your life

I never tried it, I don't mind.

because in the fedora mentality, flavor is something only the mentally weak require

>Hey, I know what I'll do
>I'll suppress the most basic instinct of any living being
>I'll just drink powder from a bag every day for every meal
>That'll be healthy
What did they fucking expect?

I know one dude who eats soylent stuff for about 70% of his diet.
The other 30% is tea and toast.

anyway, he's a blacksmith and he works 12-18 hour days making stupid shit for commissions, and he doesn't know how to cook and thinks that this shit is healthier and faster than living off hot pockets and tv dinners.

Then why are Fedoras so picky about their coffee roast, their craft beers, and other flavor-related things?

It is healthier than living off hotpockets and TV dinners, though.

Blacksmith in my small village here in the UK eats meat and potatoes. Is your blacksmith a blacksmith ironically?

>every time I try to bring up the positives of soylent I get called a shill and retards harp on and on endlessly about how evil the ingredients sound, just like the anti-MSG fucktards from years ago

>asshole who works at Pinterest
Whats wrong with learning in demand skills then working a well paying job?

That's because soylent has no positives. Are you surprised that you're getting flak for it?

Nothing, as long as you don't think you're God's gift to humanity because you help to optimize the color scheme for conversions on a website that's used by soccer moms to share cross-stitching patterns

My kind of blacksmith

Why do you pay attention to what you town blacksmith us eating?

I was just wondering what his cum would taste like

Believe it or not, some people observe their surroundings rather than diverting all their attention to their cell phone.

Coffee tends to be more hipster on the supply and demand side, craft beer is a bit of a mix of both. Largely hipsters brewing it, the neckbeards drinking it just want to feel superior.

So why don't the neckbeards want real food to make them feel superior in that regard as well?

lmao shut the fuck up you luddite retard. go fuckin play with sticks and hoops

-Sent from my iPhone

ebin :^)

it's probably cos it's made from people

If you spend 20 years of your life in a small rural village you know everything about that village and the people in it.

Since they'd either have to put forth effort or spend serious money

I can't bothered to look it up but I feel like I've read people have gotten sick from this stuff or it's gotten contaminated on more than one occasion. Which makes me wonder why people keep using it and supporting them?

because being a connoisseur of unnecessary things means that you'e superior
liking necessary things and wanting them to be pleasant is for plebs

Yeah, closer to the beginning they had contamination issues because it was literally being made and shipped from some dirty work/ live space that had rats in it. Just a team of guys scooping vitamin powders into a bag on a wood table. It's fucking laughable that it's gotten this far

Will wanda ever recover now?

i thought this was being sold since at least 2 years ago, did they change the formula or something? why are people getting sick now

Fedoras are also hypocrites.

>Also, I work in the tech industry, and so are many of my friends. At work we've never so much as mentioned soylent, and many of them have never heard about it until I brought it up.
I work in the tech industry too.
My friends and coworkers wouldn't fucking shut up about it.

The main soylent person is a vegan and they just won't stop talking about it. Every day it's soylent this, soylent that, I like this soylent more, soylent is good for you, sometimes soylent from a mug is nicer than soylent from a bottle, I just bought the newest batch of soylent it's better than the first two, it'd be nice if X type of soylent existed, it's such an insightful outlook into how we've been biologically programmed to prefer sugars and flavours and shit when we were primitives but we need to outgrow it as a society blahblahblah. It never fucking ends.

I can't have a discussion or even say "I don't think it's a great idea" because I can't disagree without being labeled a contrarian asshole in this SJW work environment, and to be fair, I haven't tried it but they won't let me and I don't want to spend money on any so it's an infuriating impasse. I can't talk about goddamn food with people anymore. Nobody here likes meat, the only food they think is good is the stuff they get on their semi-annual trips to expensive places like Alinea, like half of them are (supposedly) people with celiac disease and/or vegans, and every fucking person is so fucking obsessed with counting calories and trying to cut down on carbscarbscarbs instead of spending some time to exercise if they're that fucking worried about their weight and health (while complaining about the fat shaming society, etc.).

Soylent, from what I can tell, is for the same type of bandwagoning hipsters and vegans who buy/eat shit for the sake of being different.
And I hate every single one of them with all my being.
Why the fuck does this shit still exist.
Why the fuck can't these retards even get basic food safety right.

counting carbscarbscarbs

wtf.

Every single fucking day.
>"Oh that has too much carbs."
>"I've been eating too many carbs lately."
>"I'm getting so fat."
>"Oooh but I'm trying to cut down on carbs right now."
>"You don't think that's too many carbs?"
>"I think I'm going to stop eating after this first spoonful of this $15 entree I just ordered, I have to watch my carbs. No, I don't like to eat leftovers, it's unhealthy."
>"I don't have time to exercise, just not enough hours in the day. I mean it's why I drink Soylent, it's because I don't have time to go grocery shopping every day either and it's cheaper than spending $10-$20 a day on groceries or eating out."
I don't talk to most of my coworkers about any non-work thing anymore.

Once they start yammering about which 29-ingredient kale smoothie or Soylent batch they had for breakfast today, I quietly get up from my cubicle desk and then go outside to work until I'm needed elsewhere.

>it's cheaper than spending $10-$20 a day on groceries
>I think I'm going to stop eating after this first spoonful of this $15 entree I just ordered

>Blacksmith.
What the fuck?
Do you live in fucking Diablo 2 or some shit?

Can someone explain what's actually bad about soylent? Other than what was already discussed in this thread obviously. No hate I just don't understand where they went wrong and I'm curious, since much like communism, soylent makes sense in theory

>much like communism, soylent makes sense in theory
And like communism, it doesn't in practice.

Apparently they tweak the formula every now and then but that's probably not as important a point as their factory where they put it all together was deemed fucking filthy a short while back

2.5 weeks of soylent 1.6, starting to get strange blisters/pimples (self.soylent)
submitted 3 days ago * by zhandragon
Title. Is this unrelated to my consumption of soylent? I have been consuming 90-100% soylent per day.
I am forming multiple abscesses, which either form blisters or pus, which do not heal. It's happened on my fingers, lips, and on one part of my leg. I also seem to have an overactive inflammation response, and my toes are swollen from simply just rubbing in my shoes. My hands are more sensitive to opening objects such as a soda bottle and hurt afterwards.
Really not sure what is happening here. Am I having an allergic reaction to something in the soylent? Is there some nutrient missing from the formulation? Have I incurred an unrelated infection?
I read somewhere else that previous iterations of Soylent caused joint pain and inflammation as well as dizziness due to a lack of sulphur, was wondering if a similar issue could be occuring with 1.6.

The act of chewing, swallowing solids and liquids and everything in between, varying digestive times etc etc are important to a human - soylent bypasses much of this.

We also take in nutrients at different times in different amounts - also allegedly important.

Plus eating has been a social thing for centuries and soylent fucks that one in the ass.

And I'm fairly sure that psychologically we crave different flavours and textures to eat for some reason too.

Not surprised. A documentary about it even spotted rats running around the factory. Then theres the guy who drank it and only it for several days, weeks, months no actual food eaten, and that also made him feel bad.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that Soylent was allowed to market so the US Military could see the effects of a meal replacer on the suckers that opted to buy this stuff.

source: my anus

user at gives a good explanation. Eating is more than just shoving food in your mouth and providing yourself with nutrients.

Aside from what user mentions the act of chewing/swallowing and everything in between also has various (positive) mental effects on your brain. Not only is it important that we eat different things, the very act of chewing has also been linked to do good to the brain.

It is however in this day and age that people think that we know everything and do stupid shit, unfortunately we truly know fuckall about ourselves and new things are being discovered by the day.

I eat the bars and my fiancee likes Coffiest.

I have a great disdain for the regular product.

I drink the powder. Works fine for me. Get ready to be called tranny shills, though. Fuck knows we can't deviate from the hivemind.

I think it could be useful for natural disasters preparation, or for backpackers.

Fun fact: a product like this already exists. It's long-lasting, it travels well, it's nourishing, and it's a long-time known hit with people on the go, and it doesn't taste awful!

It's called "malted milk", and it's been around for like a hundred and fifty years. You might know it as Ovaltine.

I've yet to get sick off of it but I also use the liquid version they sell if that makes a difference. Though I also limit myself to one a day

It varies from person to person.

apparently a lot of liquid users are reporting an odd mold on the caps of their soylent so just be aware

Yeah, I figured it was for people going hiking/canoeing who wanted all their food to be dehydrated. I ate powdered "just add boiling water" crap for weeks on end when I traversed the Adirondacks by canoe.

Theory...

But empirical data trumps theory.
Always.

The creator of Soylent is really hung up on using algae.
I saw a quote where he said he hoped to make it from 100% algae at some point.

Problem is, there's a long track record of people having bad reactions to algae food supplements such as Chlorella and Spirulina.

It seems to me like the creator didn't feel that paying attention to the accumulated learning of the supplement industry was necessary.

Same deal with the apparent contamination.
I don't think he really thought about how combining a bunch of powders that bacteria and fungi will happily eat could end up being a problem.

0/10 Would never eat.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZDfVUCVboZ8

Agricultural work and caring for horses, etc often needs small level replacement of parts, many of which aren't in production anymore. Add in the other areas that blacksmiths can work in, artistic, decoration, interior design, plus knives and other cultery and you can actually have a fairly profitable business.

That is a really local thing. I have bounced around several jobs for years and not one would touch such a concept.

>So why don't the neckbeards want real food to make them feel superior in that regard as well?

this:

I went to McDonald's today and got a Filet-O-Fish combo with a bacon cheeseburger on the side. I was eating it in my vehicle in the parking lot and listening to an audio book when I glanced up and saw the McDonald's worker I ordered from outside having a cigarette.

She waved at me and I nodded and had to wait 7 minutes before she went back inside and I could eat in comfort again. I don't think that employees should be bothering or even trying to socialize with customers outside of the McDonald's restaurant or drive through, but that is another story.

I went to McDonald's for dinner tonight and got a McChicken combo with a bacon cheeseburger on the side. As I was driving to the second window the same girl was still working. She was acting somewhat obsequious and attempting small talk when she asked, 'why don't you come eat inside instead of in the parking lot where it is cold'.

That really bothered me for many reasons. First of all, I don't want my routine or actions to be tracked by a fast food employee. Secondly, she should not try to tell me how I should live my life. I do not want to eat inside because I find it less comfortable and would much rather be inside my vehicle listening to an audiobook and enjoying myself and my privacy.

How do you feel about eating in your vehicle in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant versus eating inside the restaurant?

This isn't the first time there's been problems with soylent, I remember early on there were mass recalls after mold was found in a component they were using in there dry mix

Holy shit your hilarious

Honestly, beyond the conditions where it used to be packaged, I don't think there's anything actually bad about it.

Like there is no proof it's objectively bad.
All we have is a few people claiming they feel sick after eating it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are just anti-soylent people lying for fun.

People talk about how "in theory it's good but real life it's not", but they fail to give any objective examples.

I eat it when I'm too busy to cook, or as additional nutrients/calories for gains.
Never had a problem with it.

Let's say the production problems are fixed, is there really anything wrong with the product then, or are you guys just hateful of it for no reason?

this is the most bullshit pseudo science i've ever read

I get your resentment at being noticed, but she really just sounds like she was being friendly. If you tell her that's just your routine she'll probly get it.

I feel like I've read this one before

that's because it's pasta

There's nothing wrong with Soylent or the concept of meal substitutes, but Soylent is "manufactured" in the shittiest way possible: by a bunch of mouthbreathing hipster fuccbois scooping bulk powdered supplements in a filthy warehouse. It was only a matter of time until they fucked up a batch and made a lot of people sick. youtu.be/t8NCigh54jg?t=1369

>basically a bunch of fuckhead tryhard tech people who could disappear tomorrow without anyone noticing

may be the greatest sentence I've ever read on Veeky Forums

I've been replacing about 50% of my meals with soylent for about a year now. Made some good gains at the gym and have had no health side effects. Cant speak to replacing 100% of your diet, but I've been doing just fine.

Because the idea is that if you are going to eat real food, that real food should be you going in for the enjoyment and extravaganza?
As opposed to what you normally eat.
So it goes something like
>hurr durr eat shit in morning and regularly
>Oh boy, i succeded, and we are going out drinking/eating together with somebody to celebrate something
>*literally orgasms over eating real food*
Thats the idea.
The execution might not be that good, since Soylet will block some taste recepters since thats what all food do on monotone diet.
But it might make salt taste amazing.

I had to google that. Ovaltine is not a full diet supplement.
A diet of Ovaltine will result in malnutrition in D vitamin and Iron, among other substances.
Now, because Ovaltine is a milk additive, you can use it for a lot longer than similar products, before the first signs of malnutrition.

Also this.
Soylet is a vegan passing online sold full dietary replacement.
The appeal is basically a realization of the old "in the future you will life off vitamine pills".
Internet meme products either go viral, or they don't.
And since food is food, at the least the damage is limited to actual users.

>soylent makes sense in theory

Only if you have no knowledge of nutrition. If you think that the body needs nothing but a multivitamin and proper amounts of fat, protein and carbohydrates, regardless of source, then you have a extremely flawed understanding of what the human body needs to thrive.

I mean, look at this shit:

>files.soylent.com/pdf/soylent-nutrition-facts-2-0-en.pdf

Soylent is basically soy protein isolate, maltodextrin, and canola oil. None of these ingredients are even remotely healthy for you even as part of a normal diet. As your ONLY diet, they're absurd.

Your diet should consist mainly of whole foods, not protein isolates and vegetable oils. Synthetic vitamins and minerals are not effective substitutes for fruits and vegetables and many of them, vitamin A and E in particular, have recently been linked to increased risk of all cause mortality in people who take them as supplements.

I am being completely serious when I say that given a choice between eating only Soylent and eating only McDonalds, I would choose McDonalds every time and it would be by far the healthier option.

What is unhealthy about soy protein isolate?

Digestion isn't a simple process.
There is a reason all pre industrial soy dishes is extremely fermented

Your body isn't designed to digest protein isolates. It's designed to digest whole foods. Any protein isolates are generally not good for you and this is without taking into account all of the other reasons why unfermented soy itself isn't particularly good for you.

We're still discovering new, beneficial compounds in our foods. We're a very long way from being able to say, "We understand everything the body needs from food to be healthy and are capable of isolating these compounds in a way that retains their effectiveness".

>It's designed to digest whole foods.
No. Thats the buzzword of the century.
The rest of your post is fine, just not "muh whole food".
I.E The entire basis of fermented food is to avoid whole food.

I posted about this before the Kickstarter campaign launched. I was into it because going for a BSc in Biochemistry. I actually had a "why the cuck didn't I think of that?" moment, then I read further that the guy literally google searched lists of necessary nutrients as his research. Then he crowd-sourced the rest of his research for the later versions with Soylent forums.

"Whole" isn't the same as "unchanged from its natural state". Fermented soybeans are still whole soybeans and I'm not advocating eating foods raw or unaltered, just that, for example, eating an olive provides your body with far more and varied nutrition than eating an equivalent amount of calories in olive oil.

I use it to mean that it's better to get your nutrition from real foods rather than from an assortment of isolates and extracts.

Then why not just say "real food"? i get the meme from TV shows of shitty cooking. But why submit to it?

Especially milk products, and even more so cream and butter.
Or any other product you refine by extraction.
Its unwhole food.

She's hitting on you.

I feel like "real food" is a term that can mean different things to different people whereas "whole" is pretty unambiguous.

i had to look it up too. i thought it was a halloween joke

why would a company name their goop food product Soylent after a movie where the mystery food is [spoiler]ground up euthanized old people?[/spoiler]

Now this is pasta

$0.01 has been deposited in your account

I'll bite, I think soylent has useful applications in the real world just from the sheer idealism of the product, like the idea of making a "base" food. A "food" that provides essential nourishment and nothing else. Also, I have ADD and ADHD friends who have been on adderal since elementary and they use soylent because they don't often get hungry and have to force food down anyway, so the liquid soylent anyway makes that easier

I don't think it actually uses any soy anymore, in fact, I think the creator said something like he regrets naming it soylent, not because of Soylent Green, but because it uses very little soy in the product

It's a fundamentally good idea.

Especially for people on medication that ruins your appetite.

With no appetite, eating food is horrible, it could even be described as torturous. It feels disgusting. The whole thing. Chewing, swallowing, the smell of the food.

It's all so repugnant.

For people who are struggling with that issue, the ability to not starve by just swallowing a liquid would be a godsend.

Thank you for mentioning the issue with people on Adderall.

It ties in with my post, Eating food on Adderall can be very hard.

Also, some people on Adderall get extremely hungry, but have no appetite. So they have the physical need to eat, the pangs of hunger, etc. but the food itself looks, tastes, and feels very bad.

That is because people are getting sick from prion disease. soylent is clearly made from the homeless.

underrated post

Sounds cool
Regardless of how fucked Soylet is as a food product in long term