Brilliant physicist, crackpot or both?

Brilliant physicist, crackpot or both?

I've heard Veeky Forums thinks he's nuts before but I've never actually came and asked.

>Brilliant physicist, crackpot or both?
Yes

He gives good lectures, but he spends most of his time promoting his popsci bs, and nobody in the scientific community cares about him for that

Do you think there's any truth to that shit he was spewing about type 1, 2 and 3 civilizations?

He's a storyteller and he gets paid for it by the media.

>physicists trying to figure out things related to humanities
kek

It's true in the sense that he defined it that way, but it has no practical use, just like every other thing he's ever talked about

Dyson spheres n shiet though.

His theory of quantum skeletons is pretty revolutionary and has considerable applications in high energy particle physics. He proved, over the last 40 years, that 1.21 teraelectronvolts could be derived from just one gram of quantum skeletons, and it hasn't even been completely proven yet.

>dyson sphere with that radius

what the fuck, not only would it take millions of years to build that (including transporting all the materials) but also it would probably be millions of years until you regained all the energy spent on constructing the sphere before you began producing net energy

I mean, he's good at promoting science to the general public (see: popsci). I'm sure he's done legitimate work, but it wouldn't make sense for him to show that to the normies on television.

I remember being a really young lad watching all kinds of space and science shows with my dad (one of the few interests we shared and one of the few things we actually could do together to bond) and seeing him in a lot of them. At that time when I knew nothing he seemed like a genius and made me want to aspire to understand the universe like he does.

But then, after actually studying mathematics and mathematical physics you go back and watch him and it's like "oh, well thats not completely true...thats dumbed down to normie speak...nigga what?".

So I wouldn't call him "Brilliant" in Ed Witten sense, but Brilliant compared to the average person, yeah sure, and I guess a brilliant promoter of himself and science to the masses.

the artist didn't lern 2 inverse square law

What about paralysed hotwheels of cosmology?

>But then, after actually studying mathematics and mathematical physics you go back and watch him and it's like "oh, well thats not completely true...thats dumbed down to normie speak...nigga what?".

Sooo he's not brilliant because the things he explains are made simple for the simpletons?

That applies to all dyson spheres, but more importantly, the net energy harvestable is greater from a more compact sphere.

Why does Veeky Forums hate pop-science? Are you too dumb to see the enormous benefits of a public interested in and supportive of science?

No. You are too dumb to see the grossly negative effects

Not him but what are the negative effects?

What are the negative effects?

To be honest I get suspicious of any physicist that appears on TV

Why?

I: Why do you hate pop-science? For futility?
M: Because it is a complete crap. Just crap.
I: Well, for profanity?
M: It is a profanation, and it is a profanation that creates clever morons. A friend of mine once said, there is no one worse than clever mediocrities. Pop-science creates a whole regiment of those who superficially capture something and may be at the level of erudition to maintain a conversation, what's the photon caught on a neutron, and when there evolution occurred when there dinosaurs became extinct, what's the integral is taken, what integral diverges. It is full debility in general, this does not have any depth.

>they understand the concepts, but they didn't sit through a myriad of formulas like i did to calculate it to the seventh decimal point, so they are wrong grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Okay. Does all of this have any practical negative effect on society?

Thought so.

So much this

The guy against pop-science is quite simply, stupid.
Even if people don't dabble deep into the concepts and machinations of it, it inspires others to and in turn this only leads to the greater.

AFAIK Hawking is a legit physicist who publishes papers to this day.
On the other hand, idk what research kaku has done recently, however kaku with his "consciousness teleportation", and other memes, legitimises "quantum woo" in the eyes of normies. Example: a girl I am friends with on Facebook, who often posts about watching/reading kaku and other popsci, has recently liked an article that said that we are actually immortal, because >muh quantum physics.

Whatever happened to the english pretty boy physicist?

It's an eventuality. I don't see the problem getting the idea out there even if we're still only at point B from A to D.