Next level VR

It's safe to say that the current state of VR is underwhelming to most people. Would a VR headset that generates a new instance of reality in the brain ever be possible? Would it ever be possible that it would be able to trick the brain into thinking it is doing/experiencing something it is not? Here's a little idea of how I envision it:

>be on bed in house in reality
>put on the headset
>loads a new sandbox inside your head, completely disconnecting from your physical body
>choose standard bedroom preset for the sandbox
>import kim kardashian 3d model
>extend own dick by 5 inches in settings
>have sex with kim kardashian
>can feel everything
>feels like i actually blow my load in kim kardashian
>turn off the headset
>back to normal life

Would such a thing ever be possible? Obviously it wouldn't be just for sex, although it would revolutionize the sex industry, you could also fly around like a bird and all that shit. What subjects would one undertake if they were heavily invested in the idea of this? Biology, neuroscience, electrical engineering? I have seen recent developments in prosthetic arms where they are able to manipulate nerves to give sensory feedback to patients. This could be a starting point right?

I think it's a possibility but neither necessary nor desirable.

We've known how to immerse ourselves in games long before pseudo-3D graphics became a thing. All we've done ever since are incremental improvements in the presentation.

Why is VR underwhelming? Because it's too expensive, the content is lacking in quality and diversity and people quickly get used to it.

With each new gadget, we think it will make us happier, but that's a misunderstanding of how the human mind works. We were already just as happy with Final Fantasy 6 on the SNES as we will ever be with Oculus Rift.

The only thing that would actually make us happier is an innovation that targets how the brain processes pleasure and pain, and systematically improves the pleasure while reducing the pain. But such an invention would be universally condemned and banned by the parasites.

>I think it's a possibility but neither necessary nor desirable
>not desirable
Am I making my idea clear enough? It is a headset that literally stimulates a new reality in your head. You can be whoever you want to be, girl, boy, alien, superhero. You can do whatever you want to do with the full physical experience as if you were doing it for real: sky diving, sex, flying etc. And when you're done you can unplug. It'll be like the Matrix. It would be a cash cow. I see it as very desirable.

>We've known how to immerse ourselves in games long before pseudo-3D graphics became a thing
Yes but there's immersion and then there's 'immersion'. Don't imagine holding a controller with a VR headset, imagine actually being inside the game. That's what I'm envisioning.

>You can be whoever you want to be, girl, boy, alien, superhero.
We've had that for millennia, it's called basic storytelling and imagination.

>Don't imagine holding a controller with a VR headset, imagine actually being inside the game.
It's irrelevant. You're confusing authenticity with utility.

The point of entertainment is to have a good time, but we're all on a hedonic treadmill. The enjoyment of a 12-year-old playing The Witcher 3 is not higher than that of a 12-year-old playing Zelda 3: A Link to the Past, they're just used to better graphics.

Having "presence" in Kim Kardashian's ass doesn't make you feel more pleasure, only hedonic enhancement would make you actually experience more utility. That is, the only innovation to actually make you feel better would be to target your pleasure and pain processing in your brain and improve it in a sustainable fashion. Which of course, would cause an outcry and bans more so that violent video games do.

>We've had that for millennia, it's called basic storytelling and imagination.
Imagining is not the same as experiencing.

>Having "presence" in Kim Kardashian's ass doesn't make you feel more pleasure
The real physical sensation of being in Kim Kardashian's ass and having real physical sex with her would be more pleasurable than just jacking it to her videos/pics.

>The real physical sensation of being in Kim Kardashian's ass and having real physical sex with her would be more pleasurable than just jacking it to her videos/pics.
I actually doubt it, but even if that's true, you would get used to it in 3 days and then your experience would be no more valuable than it is now.

Again, the only innovation that can change that is the direct and sustainable improvement of how the brain processes pleasure and pain.

>an innovation that targets how the brain processes pleasure and pain

aka drugs

>I actually doubt it, but even if that's true
Well it's subjective then.

>but even if that's true, you would get used to it in 3 days and then your experience would be no more valuable than it is now.
I have no doubt but it is the summum bonum of sexual experience. You can't top it. No one would be frustrated anymore lusting after their favourite celebs when they can just fuck them in cyberspace. People will be content.

You left out the sustainable part. Most drugs used for pleasure have negative adjustment effects and other side-effects.

I don't know about content, but it certainly wouldn't be worse than what we have now.

She might like a 7" dick

You can either change your size setting in the menu or you can adjust her dick preference setting.

It doesn't matter what size the dick is, if you aren't a mediocre black rapper, she won't touch it.

A thought occurred to me recently, we already have a framework for virtual reality, it's called dreaming.
Firstly, you would need to figure out some proven method to induce lucid dreaming, not an easy task.
Secondly, you would need to find some way to externally influence the user's dreamworld, perhaps though sound or smell.
Thirdly, you would need a way of transmitting data from inside the dreamworld, to an outside source, mainly because hooking up wires directly to your nerves sounds rather intrusive. I thought, you might be able to use muscle or finger twitches, but I'm not entirely sure.
Finally, it's an easy task of transmitting that data into the regular client-server loop, whereupon the server would send back further instructions to influence the user's dreamworld.
It seems like this would be a good recipe for a hackish VR, but we're far behind, we can't even induce lucid dreaming.

Interesting.

True, the brain is complex and we barely understand it but I really think we will be able to manipulate it in the future. I essentially see it as a computer.

> It is a headset that literally stimulates a new reality in your head.

You'd never know whether or not you actually woke up.

You could be live a life that was never real, or worse, you could end up, somehow, living in a temporally accelerated fantasy where a malevolent individual, next to you body, keeps you alive and experiecing horror for 1000 years.

This is why the idea of a holodeck actually breaks down under real considerations. When you leave, is the the door? Or is a holoprojection of a door that leads you into a holoprojection of what you end up thinking it the real world?

You are asking if we can make the Matrix from the movie The Matrix.
I would say that currently it is in the realm of science fiction, there's studies were we are able to collect direct 'input' from brains and relay that input to a computer so that could do for the interacting side of the thing you want. However, to stimulate sections of the brain to induce specific things like physical sensations I think is further out and not well researched yet.

Maybe, 30-45 years? Although, I imagine that the adult content industry would have a vested interest in this tech so you can at least take solace in knowing that sex interactions will probably be developed early in it's lifecycle.

>living in a temporally accelerated fantasy where a malevolent individual, next to you body, keeps you alive and experiecing horror for 1000 years.
Yup, that's why I don't believe in a positive future for humanity. We don't even have a human rights consensus.

I'd imagine a shortcut to making this achievable would be via some sort of induced lucid dreaming drug or probe.

Tfw you can create the opposite and create a machine that minimizes pleasure and maximizes pain.

Jesus Christ, I wish this on nobody