If this guy has time to be a professional player and get accepted into MIT for his PhD. then why can't you?

If this guy has time to be a professional player and get accepted into MIT for his PhD. then why can't you?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/JohnCUrschel/status/735199097376940032
theplayerstribune.com/2016-5-24-john-urschel-ravens-mit-back-to-school/
theplayerstribune.com/why-i-play-football/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's black, can't get worse genetics than that.

Proof that it all comes down to determination.

this man makes me feel like shit

>rich minority
You could get into any PhD. program regardless of your GPA with that

He's got straight A's mate, can't get higher GPA than that.

in Penn University, not MIT

also while being their star player

let's see if he can finish his PhD.

twitter.com/JohnCUrschel/status/735199097376940032

ok, he's really a genius and also a great athlete

you are allowed to feel bad

his Twitter feed is nice

can we get him to post here?

I don't think he has time

theplayerstribune.com/2016-5-24-john-urschel-ravens-mit-back-to-school/

He should really quit football. Every tackle he takes is another IQ point.

>They know as well as anyone about head injuries; they know that football is dangerous; they know the feeling of exhaustion and pain. They still play. They don’t do it for money, and they don’t do it for status. The average size of their crowds is fewer than 1,000. On campus, no one gives them a second look. (The guys who won the Putnam Competition — a national math contest — three years in a row are the ones who get treated like star quarterbacks.) But they show up every day and work hard because it’s their choice — because they love to play.

nice

theplayerstribune.com/why-i-play-football/

He writes about that here

>Objectively, I shouldn’t. I have a bright career ahead of me in mathematics. Beyond that, I have the means to make a good living and provide for my family, without playing football. I have no desire to try to accumulate $10 million in the bank; I already have more money in my bank account than I know what to do with. I drive a used hatchback Nissan Versa and live on less than $25k a year. It’s not because I’m frugal or trying to save for some big purchase, it’s because the things I love the most in this world (reading math, doing research, playing chess) are very, very inexpensive.

I love this man

That's actually easier than getting a real job and studying at MIT

MIT makes schedule concessions just for him, concessions they won't make for your average wageslave

>assumptions
Are you in his classes?

I just read his articles, and he said so. It's not assumption.

/pol/ BTFO

it is because you are assuming that it is the truth.

>his parents separated when he was three

>But [John Urschel Sr] was an excellent college linebacker in Canada who went on to become the chief of surgery at Beth Israel Medical Center in Boston. So in a way, he laid the blueprint for Urschel's life.

Urschel is a German name, so it's likely his grandfather or someone was a Jew. Stereotypes are great.

His father was white, an an M.D.

If anything, this just proves intelligence is genetic

I wish him luck and hopefully he can publish something amazing before terminal brain damage.

If anything he is breaking the math stereotype and that could only be beneficial for us.

/pol/ hates racemixing though, and this guy has the best of both races.

This guy is better than me in every single way. It's actually comical at this point. First thoughts were, "Oh, just another meme, probably totally incompetent."

Then I see his twitter. "Alright, so he's a genius, no biggie."

"Oh he's filthy rich, frugal, a genius, a talented athlete and a reasonable person. What the fuck?"

This seems like it would stir up a lot of shit in /pol/. I might have to shitpost this there. "This black man is a genius, a star athlete, and filthy rich."

His father is a Jewish MD and his mother is a nigress. Not surprisingly it averaged to like 110 IQ and incredible physical ability.

>incredible physical ability.
he's not that great a player

t. follows NFL

I don't usually get feels, but damn.

How can you feel anything except love? I love this guy. He's my role model.

Why are you faggots getting threatened by a guy you don't even know. Nigga just trynna get his PhD. Nothing to do with you.

> one example
> BTFO
oh you poor desperate child

I think he's great; good on him and I wish him all the best.

It's just that seeing this compounded my sense of complete and utter failure.

It's very rare that this happens though.

Abyway, have a nice thread everyone.

This guy isn't just better than us in one way. He's better than us in [math]every[/math] way.

>old reaction face is old

He's exceptional. So what? There aren't that many like him. The sports teams of MIT suck.

>110 IQ
>Ph.D in mathematics at MIT

Keep dreaming.

Yeah, just dismiss it as genius so you can justify browsing Veeky Forums some more instead of working.

>schrödinger equation
>hamiltons equations

>studies graph theory and numerical linear algebra

>the best of both races
he is just a jack of all trades but master of none.tell me when he makes something groundbreaking

That's scientific as fuck.

>IQ determines your success now and forever

>IQ can't change

well, it's a marketing photo, what do you fucking expect

>IQ isn't a bad meme in the first place

I think it has a correlation coefficient of like .4 with success, so it's not useless.

It's predictive in a probabilistic not deterministic way, and it can be improved through purposeful engagement. (Or at least fluid intelligence can, which is the majority of what most IQ tests measure.)

At least I don't go on the internet and inform thousands of people about the fact I am doing mathematics.

>.4
only? ummm

Tell me when you make something groundbreaking
It's quite impressive to be a NFL player and a PhD student in mathematics at MIT desu senpai

>NFL rings: 0
>mathematical discoveries: 0

That means it accounts for 20% of success, lad.

It's nice to see scientific terms like "very dull" and "bright" being used in a "study" from 23 years ago.

>b-b-but you !!!!1!!
Its not when you don't do anything good in either of these fields.Also it seems like mathematics was a bit of forced choice t b h.He could chose physics or something else but nah math makes me look smart dawg

You must of never read the Bible. Don't be envious of your neighbors user.

Youre fucking retarded.

People are accepted to Ph D programs based off of how likely it is that theyll do good research. Do you think a school like MIT wont do its due diligence in ensuring this?

>People are accepted to Ph D programs based off of how likely it is that theyll do good research
Yeah like there is no affirmative action
>Do you think a school like MIT wont do its due diligence in ensuring this?
They can make a exception for a one black student if its going to make them look more diverse

>perfect GPA at highschool
>perfect GPA at Penn U
>perfect GPA so far at MIT (4 subjects)
>it's just affirmative action!

>Do you think a school like MIT wont do its due diligence in ensuring this?
I think a school like MIT can see the PR, diversity-cred advantages in having a half-black, half-jewish NFL player get a math PhD from them.

Anyway, even from elite schools, most PhDs never amount to anything. They settle into a teaching/research position based on seeming promising, get some papers published that nobody cares about and don't affect the world, then they die. There's no "ensuring" a productive research career.

Fake grades for football players are so common that it's a cliche. Don't try to argue from grades.

MIT doesn't care about football

There's zero evidence to suggest this.

What would convince you? It seems like you'll just make up an excuse for anything that appears in his favour.

ITT: butthurt niggas

>hurr tell me when he makes something groundbreaking
>hurr he forcefully picked math

Blah blah blah, nothing but shade. I wonder why people always have to be mad as fuck at others success.

What success though?

Success=Achieve goals. That's what most people can't do efficiently.

It's not that I don't believe in the possibility that he's legit, but good grades for a football player or posterboy character are no evidence of anything.

Do you realise that for whites and asians that is normal?He took a place of someone better simply because he is black

Because most people can't deal with failure and so don't exert any effort. They see pursuing something with their full effort as a huge risk, so they just give up and they have their excuse of laziness.

Well, we'll see If he was fake if he fails at his Phd.
If he gets his Phd that will make him a successful nigger tho.

How does grading in America work?

Does GPA 4.0 mean you got 100% in every exam?

Or to get an A you don't need 100%?

How do I convince myself so I achieve my goals efficiently?
How do I deal with failure?

> Does GPA 4.0 mean you got 100% in every exam?
>Or to get an A you don't need 100%?
It depends on entirely on the class, but generally A work means that you did all the required work and you show understanding of the material.

I've had classes where an A was getting a 40% on the exam and I've had classes where getting 90%+ was an A.

>Well, we'll see If he was fake if he fails at his Phd.
Well, no. Getting his PhD is still just "good grades in school".

It's probably going to be impossible for anyone who doesn't work with him to ever tell if he's fake (in the sense that, while being a fairly bright person, he wasn't nearly MIT PhD material by the usual standards applied to white non-football-players). Hardly anyone goes off to work alone in a log cabin. Papers tend to have more than one author.

Accept that your abilities can improve with effort. It's not a crazy idea... After all, how did you get this far? By working and improving your skills. Failure is just another way you learn a new skill. When you fail, treat it not only as an inevitable part of learning, but a required part of it. Especially in STEM. You're going to be things wrong a lot. You're oftentimes not going to understand concepts right away.

So, you exert effort, improving your intellectual skills and abilities in the process, and get better. Asking questions of your professor is just another way you improve your abilities. It's not an admission of weakness, it's required if you want to do as well as possible. Rather than see a test or question as a direct measure of your permanent ability, see it as something you can learn from, regardless of how you do. Doing badly on a test, or not understanding a concept, if purely a part of learning and getting better. Are you putting in enough effort? Are you asking questions? Are you making sure you understand the entirety of what you're doing?

Everyone has their own initial genetic endowments. This is obvious. However, research has shown that not only is effort and passion the most important factor, but that fluid intelligence (Gf; basically IQ) actually increases as a result of purposeful engagement. In the end, having a genetic endowment is a welcome addition, but is actually a fairly minimal part of success in all fields.

The big risk isn't putting in effort, it's not putting enough in to the field that you love.

>Well, no. Getting his PhD is still just "good grades in school".
That's why the good grades in highschool will be confirmed you brainlet.

meh, suddenly perfect GPA and straight As doesn't sound so impressive

>research has shown
>psychology
>soft science
>research
>has
>shown
Garbage reasoning.

>In the end, having a genetic endowment is a welcome addition, but is actually a fairly minimal part of success in all fields.
Garbage conclusion.

Thanks for the effort. I already know I can improve because I improved years ago. But now I failed and got 0/10 grades because I avoided exams and never studied.

I wish I would be like my father, who was a very important bussiness-man on my country.

Why not put some more effort in?

I only started being responsible when I was 23

Do you seriously not understand that the motive for the people around him to give him "special considerations" (i.e. letting and helping him cheat, such as largely writing his thesis for him, and coaching him through the defense) is as strong and plausible now that he's a black NFL player trying for a math PhD at MIT as it was when he was a high school or undergrad football star?

They couldn't do it with a random NFL player, but they could do it with someone who's far below the usual math PhD material. It's not like it's likely to come back to bite them. If he produces nothing after his PhD, well he's a busy football pro. If he produces crazy shit, well even Nobel Prize winners do that, and it doesn't reflect back on their alma mater.

>HURR DURR psychometrics can't be objective

>HURR DURR intelligence can't be measured

>HURR DURR ignore all strides forward in cognitive psychology and cognitive neuroscience

Total nonce, mate.

>Psychology IS TOO a real science!
kek from mount lel

>he's a black football player, therefore he's not good at math
nice logic sci

>he is probably
>people would probably
Nice pseudoscience. If the faggot can't do something relevant after his Phd he will be an average smart guy tho.

More like:
>he's a black pro football player, so if he can present himself at all credibly, MIT has every motive to roll out the red carpet for him

OP says it like he overcame all the challenges of becoming an NFL player, and entirely separately overcame all the challenges of getting into an MIT PhD program.

>I guess we should just give up on a way to measure intelligence

>I guess we should just give up on trying to treat mental illness

>I guess we should just give up trying to understand the brain and it's processes

>pseudoscience
Stick to words you know the meanings of.

Aside from that, I have never argued that we know he's not legit, so acting like that's my position is extremely stupid.

>>>Theology is a real science!
>>>Theological studies have shown...
>>That's stupid.
>I guess we should just give up on understanding the universe.
>I guess we should just give up on trying to treat demonic possession.
>I guess we should just give up on figuring out what's moral behavior.
You're still being stupid.

Okay, I'll ask you a simple question.

Do you think psychology has a good way to measure intelligence?

He's in a meme field, nobody respects numerical linear algebra or graph theory. If he wants to impress me as a mathematician let's see a paper on algebraic topology, algebraic geometry, elliptic functions, or K-theory. Not computational drivel.

I though it was a meme over here.

>Aside from that, I have never argued that we know he's not legit, so acting like that's my position is extremely stupid.
I act the way I want, user. I may look stupid. But I know I'm superior to all of you ;^)

I'm doing it.
I want to be responsible now. I'm trying Uni again.

>pure math

how's everyday life on the spectrum?

I like this guy.

fuck, i saw this dude on campus quite a few times.

It's amazing that some on Veeky Forums are so butthurt that even though he's already published in peer-reviewed journals and earned four A's in four simultaneous graduate math classes at MIT, they are still demeriting his accomplishments as "not real".

The guy is objectively legitimate.

If anything his endeavours in math and science might open this world up to people who think math/science is lame. So,I applaud him

How does it feel that he's a literal real life meme of 300k starting with a PhD in Maths. He's probably banging 10/10 women as well. This is why you're getting triggered. The guy is everything you guys want to be. The only downside he may get the brain disease football players get in their 40s.

>It's amazing that some on Veeky Forums are so butthurt

they're claimed intelligence is all they have

*Their...

when are we getting married

>if this guy can develop general relativity, why can't you?
I can't do everything everyone else can do. Some people are better than me.