What's the best way to evaluate my students?

What's the best way to evaluate my students?

t. physics teacher with abyssal passing rates

Make the test like 75% plug n chug, then make 25% more analytical questions and give em a bonus question that combines 2 or more concepts from the material.

Or let them bring an 8x11 one sided equations sheet, but make a part 1 of the test thats analytical and no help sheet.

Have each one masturbate into a cup and then use that to produce a sufficient number of clones to satisfy the sample size necessary for whatever you're trying to evaluate.

By their reaction to failure. Do they shy away from challenge or confront if head on? Do they see failure as a defeat of as a learning experience?

These are the MOST important criteria, and are more important than any genetic endowment one may start off with.

Ditto this. Natural "talent" is really just having THAT mindset he mentioned. Sure, every now and then you have a prodigy, but rarely. All my life I've been called a natural and all that shit, but I don't think I am. Every other "natural" I've met agrees with me.

It's about letting that anxiety about failure go, and change how you see your intellect. That you CAN change your abilities, and failure is just to learn more.

Studies in inner city schools showed that when students had this mindset grades shot up across the board, and by the end of the year all students were way up high and about even in their scores.

newsflash: physics courses have abysmal passing rates
also hot topic: water still wet

Physics is full of people who think they're already geniuses and don't need to work hard. After all, it's not as if Newton or Einstein worked hard...

Write better exams?
As my real analysis teacher said, "If I think a question is even remotely interesting, I can't put it on an exam, because most of you will fuck it up."

University teacher or high school teacher?

>university
>teacher

fully agreed

>study 30-40 hours a week outside of the classroom
>work the homeworks provided
>work the practice tests provided
>still only get a 60% on the test, highest grade is a 71%

If a professor goes out of their way to make the exam incredibly difficult, beyond the scope of the material provided, how are you supposed to do well?

Curve awarded 18 points, so i got a 78. Ill be getting a B in physics 2

>his country distinguishes between university teachers and other teacher.
>it's because they adopted the french word for their most prestigious teaching position

Open-book exams, or better yet, open-internet exams.

Professor is actually a Latin word.

Make every question short essay response. Count off for spelling mistakes. Ask questions from chapters that weren't covered. That should do it.

In order to keep the motivation and involvement of the students, you have to relate the course material to something that they might ever need to use or consider in their real lives.

> physics
Oh. Never mind.

Just curve heavily.

>abyssal passing rates

So, you are part of a tuition farm. I don't see a problem. If they can't do the proper work to learn and pass, fail them.

Most people quickly drop the class to take it next semester when they are in danger of going below a certain GPA in that class so that it won't affect their overall GPA.

>Open-book exams
are a fucking joke

>Open-internet exams
please tell me this is a joke

I don't think you've ever had an open book exam. They tend to be considerably harder than normal exams because they are entirely about solving problems and there are no gimme points for memorization.

what is hindering you from doing 60-70 hours out of class?

Not him, but lack of full blown autism keeps me from doing that.

What is your problem? That you think your tests are shitty, or that students are doing badly after you teach them?

are you sure? cause i have natural talent and skipped every class and lecture since high school, just deduce solutions from first principles.

You really expect 60-70 hours of study for one undergrad course?

Suck my weiner dude

B-b-b-but muh baseball kinematics problems!