How should I study math? I'm looking to start from scratch

How should I study math? I'm looking to start from scratch.

Other urls found in this thread:

farside.ph.utexas.edu/Books/Euclid/Elements.pdf
constitution.org/ari/aristotle-organon physics.pdf
cs.scranton.edu/~beidler/intd100a/references/HowToReadABook.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Start with proving P=NP
that should do it

Khan academy, easy shit.

A lot of this threads lately. Read the wiki. If you've read then someone needs to rewrite it.

Not op obviously but what should I study to solve it(not that I will even in 10000years) but which field will be the closest to solving it

i'd have to agree with this

i know good text books with exercises, but they're german.

what made you want to learn it though?

>what made you want to learn it
asking OP

Just like on Veeky Forums... start with the Greeks.

You *can* learn modern math without historical context, but honestly, why would you? Everything makes more sense when you look at it from a historical perspective. Also the motivation for many "pure" mathematical problems becomes greatly demystified, rendering much of the debate between "pure" vs. "applied" you see on this board rather pointless.

Some links for Aristotle's Organon and Euclid's Elements.

farside.ph.utexas.edu/Books/Euclid/Elements.pdf
constitution.org/ari/aristotle-organon physics.pdf

Once you start getting into the 1800s, also do not hesitate to supplement with the history of physics, science and technology. Read up on the developments of telegraphy and electronics, Morse, Edison, Faraday, then during the late 1800s read about Poincare, Hilbert and all of the other great German mathematicians (Klein, Weierstrass). Once you get into the 1900s you'll be more than ready for the developments that lead up to (in no particular order) digital computing, quantum mechanics, type theory (and more recently homotopy type theory), homological algebra, and much more.

>3354 page book

You're right.

Here's a how-to on methodical reading. I forgot that they don't teach people how to read in school, so 3,000 pages seems intimidating.

cs.scranton.edu/~beidler/intd100a/references/HowToReadABook.pdf

How To Read A Book is a classic on the subject. Don't hesitate to dig in.

>435 pages

Could i please have some sources for those German books? Currently learning it won't hurt to try and read them a little bit.

No one can do the learning for you. It's really not that much reading, you're just a lazy faggot. If you want the knowledge you've got to put in the time.

Well 435 pages just to learn how to read book is a lot and would it really make reading a 3k pages book easy.It hardly makes sense.

OP I can tell you are probably not looking to go into the math field and want to pursue math as nothing more than recreation.

That is totally fine and the best book for this that I can recommend is "What is Mathematics" by Courant. It covers nearly every field of mathematics between its pages, from number theory to topology to projective geometry. It is written in such a way that the first discussions within each chapter are general and easy, and as you go further in each chapter, the discussions become more complex and difficult. Thus it's possible to get a general idea of a subject or go deeply into it, based on your interests.

It's also very well written with clear prose, diagrams and examples and only assumes you know up to trigonometry/algebra (if you don't know this, I recommend "Pre-calculus" by Axler for that or as someone else suggested, Khan Academy)

Good luck OP. Mathematics is the most pleasurable subject there is and if you put in the time and effort you'll come to know pleasure which is almost like a religious experience.

the numbers from 1 to 10

Get a phd in Memetic engineering and you're set to go

counting, addition, subtraction, shapes is usually a good start

This, Meme field theory is by far the most elegant and profound field of study these days.

>How should I study math? I'm looking to start from scratch.

enroll at your local primary school

step1 is to learn how to read math and know basic things: algebra, trig, geometry, logic, set theory, understand math notation

step2 is to get the foundations right: calculus, differential equations, linear algebra,

step3 is to learn to think abstractly and learn to write proofs: abstract algebra, real/complex analysis

step4 is to combine and augment: go back to step 2 and read more advanced books, and augment your current knowledge with more advanced theories: topology, algebraic geometry, probability and measure theory, lebesgue integration, galois theory, etc...

What about if you ARE looking to go into the math field? How do we get to this level?

Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang

Ok, can someone tell me who the fuck that dude is?

Giantonnio Del DiGiAntonnio