Which Uni Does Veeky Forums Attend? For what major?

Which Uni Does Veeky Forums Attend? For what major?

I'll start:
UCLA
Applied Math and Physics.

ucla applied math grad student under Osher. I probably teach one of your classes, user.

I go to NAU. Not even rated kek
I study Mathematics and "Psychological Sciences".
Haven't decided which to major/minor in. I'm close to both and graduate in a year.

Don't care really. Probably going to grad school.

Holy shit, user, could you give initials to your name?

or which class you TA? !!

Point Park. Premed.

My school is a meme.

EKU
pre-engineering

I'm not in college yet. One more year of HS to go. I am probably going to apply to some elite schools like mit and Stanford and hope for the best. But I am spending most of my time and energy focusing on going to ucla, uc Berkley, Caltech, or USC. I have really great letters of recommendation and all that so I don't think I'll have much trouble getting into one of the lower rated yet still kick ass schools around California. As for my major, well I can't decide between physics and engineering, math and engineering, or physics and math. All I know is that I really want to work as an EE in the Silicon Valley.

FSU theoretical condensed matter physics grad student.
It's pretty good, I like it.

Apply EECS to Berkeley, ECE to USC, Math/Applied Math to UCLA, and Physics to Caltech.

That way you're applying to the best programs with regards to the best schools in this list.

I got into Caltech and UCLA and I chose UCLA because I got something called a Regents Scholarship, for Caltech my parents would have t o fork out upwards of $60k a year.

>FSU
Hey, OP here.

I'm really wondering how getting into grad school works and I really want to go to something like the IAS or Caltech for my PhD, would it be difficult to switch from UCLA to that level?

Most of the people I know within UCLA go to Cal and people in Cal come to UCLA for grad, but I wanna break that trend because my interests are really in the HET and not HExp.

UCSD
Neuroscience

Thinking about transferring to UCSC for EE because I like money. Should I? I have a solid GPA but I'm going into my 3rd year and I think I'm too late to go to an elite-tier uni

Hey, I wouldn't recommend that! UCSD has undoubtedly one of the best bioengineering and neuroscience programs in the nation because of the Scripps Institute.

How're your evaluated for grad school:
research experience (if any)/letters of reccomendation > quality of research (if any) > university reputation > gpa/gre

So, several years of excellent research with glowing recommendations from professionals and professors could get you into a top program despite a shitty 3.6 GPA?

Transferring into the University of Michigan from a community college next year. I study mathematics, with a focus in categorical methods in algebraic topology and stuff.

Absolutely, You have research experience, if the recommendation letters are written by people who can speak about your skills as a researcher and aren't just "he was good in class". Then yea you should have a good chance at getting into any top 40 program. GPA Isn't a huge deal as long as it's over 3.0, 3.5+ is ideal though, so you're good their too.

You're UCLA too right? I'd apply to a 1-2 top ten schools, 3-4 top 25, and 2-3 top 40. Talk to your prof too about what your interested in and where he thinks would be a good fit for you.

217 will #rekt you. Great class, but it'll fuck you up. take eecs 173 along with it and two humanities or whatever bullshit, other wise you'll have a rough first sem

I'm not who you were originally talking to.

Is it true, though, that a big part of being accepted is professors meshing with your research interests?

I will already have all of my extra credits, including my humanities, once I transfer. What class does "217" refer to?

What physics classes are you taking Fall quarter user?

Linear algebra, it's the first proof intensive class, it focuses on rigor and being able to understand and then apply them in a way that strains your mastery of the concept. It's one of the first classes that requires more of you than basic understanding of concepts

I current live in manchester traveling to Harvard every two weeks for classes quite nice for me considering I have trains around my apartment.

MAJOR: Law and CS

To some extent, like if your in physics and a stand out star in optics, you probably won't get an offer from a fluids professor.

Essentially if all your research is in one area you'll end up in it. If you're all over the place, who knows. But this isn't always the case, I work in an applied robotics lab and we have a really theoretical maths post doc. It really just depends on what the profs are looking for.

Oh. I appreciate the warning, but I am very comfortable and familiar with proofs, as well as linear algebra (at least from a categorical perspective).

I'm that namefag working on hodological spaces and other abstract nonsense, so I have written a great many proofs at this point.

UC Berkeley, Mechanical Engineering.

Class is less about proofs and linear algebra than it is about being able to see how things relate and what it means to understand something, so it's really about building skills that'll help with research.

If you feel pretty comfortable and confident I reccomend going the honors route, the people that come out of there are incredible.

I definitely will. I am going to be setting up a meeting with professor Kriz soon per his request to talk about cohomology and stuff, and I will be keeping your suggestion in mind. Maybe he can offer some insights.

>per his request
Sounds like you're gonna end up like that fucker who discovered a new way to multiply matrices freshmen year

U of Calgary
lab monkey

you must be a new student; you have no idea what you're getting yourself into
if you take the honors math courses alongside all of that, you're not going to see sunlight for the next few years

do you study numerical analysis stuff? did you ta a programming course in winter?

UNCG

Biology (not a medcuck)

don't listen to the other guy, apply to ee at ucla, it's pretty good there and applied math won't help you as much for your goals. many students do the 5-year masters program. at the same time, keep your options open

Kek, he was just interested in my sign while I was busking outside of the State Theatre. It says "Feed a Starving Topologist" with the Freudenthal suspension theorem underneath, and he was amused. He invited me to hang out sometime after we chatted about stable homotopy theory.

His research is pretty related to my interests, so we had stuff to talk about.

CWRU - Mathematical Physics and Music

>memematician
Please go.

Oh, yes, I forgot that mathematics is not science and doesn't belong on this board. You study psychology, eh?