Cozy Greatness

Recently, I've been reading The Cantos, and a lot of Pound in general. One thing that has sparked my interest is that he first began his literary ambition with a very clear direction in mind. He studied only those poets who he considered the absolute greatest. He even went so far as to dismiss the likes of Ovid as "second tier" poets who made minor discoveries, and eschewed Virgil and the vast bulk of the Western Canon all together.

Frankly, this is inspiring. I've always had literary ambition, and I've always wanted my reading to enhance my writing. Also, desu, I've always been extremely skeptical of the majority of what I spend my time reading. I'm a big proponent of the "I'm going to die" at some point school of picking up books, so naturally I'd be attracted to a guy like Pound who tried his hardest to cut through the bullshit to ensure he read only the best and only what would make him a better poet.

So, basically, I want to pick up where Ezra left off. I want to make a long ass work worth ripping my hair out over, and I want to make sure that every piece of literature I am consuming is as worthwhile as what helped Ezra Pound construct The mothafuckin' Cantos.

tl;dr This is another shitty list post. It goes across all mediums (mainly fiction-aiming prose and poetry).

Thus far I have narrowed down my focus:

Iliad, Odyssey, Homeric Hymns
Orestia
Theban Plays
Poems of Sappho
Poems of Catullus
Metamorphoses of Ovid
***MAYBE*** The Decameron
Divine Comedy
Old English Poems (Think Seafarer)
As Much of Spenser as I can stomach
The Canterbury Tales
General Ren. Poets (think Marlowe, Johnson)
Collected Shakespeare
Don Quixote
Poems of John Donne
Paradise Lost
Poems of Robert Browning
Complete Works of Goethe
Madame Bovary
David Copperfield, Bleak House, Journals of Charles Dickens
Middlemarch
Persuasion
Jude the Obscure
War and Peace
Anna Karenina
All of Joyce (Minus The Wake)
The Cantos
To The Lighthouse
Absalom, Absalom
Mason and Dixon

I'll probably throw Ibsen, Proust, Mann, Sterne,Turgenev, Melville, Borges, and maybe Bartheleme in there for fun

Any suggestions or refutations to help me hone this list???????

ALSO: Discussions on how the most modern piece on this list was written like 20 years ago :(

Other urls found in this thread:

wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations
nybooks.com/articles/1965/07/15/the-strange-case-of-pushkin-and-nabokov/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nigga u on the right track, but what about the eastern shit? Li Po? Nuffin?

I smell sum Euro centrism

If we are to consider the sensorial experience available to the reader between the pages of To The Lighthouse as sublime, methinks The Waves does it better.

I haven't read much but i'd narrow the list down to Spenser, Chaucer, Goethe, Ibsen, Shakespeare
Middlemarch isn't that great, and i'd stay away Ovid and Milton (personal opinion)....not sure about the other authors mentioned.

>mme bovary
not even the best flaubert
>to the lighthouse
not even the best woolf
>complete works of goethe
not everything from him is that good 2bh
>old english poets
>donne
>dickens
extremely debatable

that's an alright list but
>Dickens
Why do people consider him to be so great? I've read a couple of his works now and neither his prose nor narrative did ever convince me.

you need much less than this. keep
Sappho
Catullus
Ovid
Canterbury Tales
John Donne
Goethe

Don Quixote is very fun so you could keep that. Most of Shakespeare you should replace with French romance poetry about a century or two earlier.

Add Whitman, Coleridge, Earl of Rochester, cummings, Jeffers, Auden, and more poetry in general.

Don't let people in this thread decide for you what is ultimately worth reading.

If you are going to write in Englsh, focus on English poetry.
If you feel the need to read other poems, try at least to see how they sound in the original language before going directly on a translation.
Also:
Homeric hymns are not that important
Read some Horace and possibily something from Cicero
Avoid Decameron, it's useless for poetry, try the Canzoniere instead
I also highly recommend reading Baudelaire, Leopardi, and generally the romantic English and German poets (Wordsworth, Coleridge, Byron, Shelley, Keats, Schiller etc.)

If you're going to read Jude The Obscure at least read Portrait of a Lady as well, the former is great but the latter is one of the most perfect novels ever written

Read as much John Donne as you can, but I'd recommend in particular his Holy Sonnets and Sappho to Philaenis - you're unlikely to find better erotic lesbian poetry written by a man

>reading catallus yesterday in Sirmione out the base of his villa
>mfw all this buggering and stuffing
>will never own a catamite

Get some Kung in there.

>you're unlikely to find better erotic lesbian poetry written by a man
swinburne tho
>I feel thy blood against my blood: my pain
>Pains thee, and lips bruise lips, and vein stings vein.
>Let fruit be crushed on fruit, let flower on flower,
>Breast kindle breast, and either burn one hour.

>Middlemarch isn't that great
>stay away [from] Ovid and Milton
I threw up in my mouth

Any contemporaries near/around Pynchon that are worth my time? I was thinking Ashbery. Ezra's approach was to distill and rid of anything that didnt discover or dramatically enhance poetry as a whole, and aside from Ashbery idk who has innovated anything. The only other name that comes to mind is Saunders (as pertains to prose obvs), but he was a Pynchon/Barthelme derivative. I was even thinking of Barthelme but he's always struck me as Pynchon lite with an better study of Breton under his belt.

Add Hart Crane

Frank O'Hara you cunt. Where the fuck is William Carlos Williams

You should also add Blake's collected works - especially the prophecies - to your list. Maybe some of Milton's shorter works as well: Samson Agonistes and Il Penseroso for example.

Other than that maybe replace Browning with Tennyson.

>Minus The Wake
Nigga why? Don't fall for the "it's gibberish" meme.

>Most of Shakespeare you should replace with French romance poetry about a century or two earlier
Wew lad

>Hand to strange hand, lip to lip none denies;
>Why should they breast to breast, or thighs to thighs?
>Likeness begets such strange self-flattery,
>That touching myself, all seems done to thee.

Donne was the real OG tho, Anactoria was one of Sappho's supposed lovers and I wouldn't be surprised if Swinburne was inspired by Donne to some extent

>I've always had literary ambition
>The mothafuckin' Cantos.
Come on, you're just a pseud and everyone knows it. Stop trying to impress yourself and others by pretending to be "intellectual" you fake.

Pound had a real hard-on for the Provencal poets (esp Arnaut Daniel), which your list is missing. The lyric poem he admired most was Guido Cavalcanti's "Donna me prega." Not poetry, but he thought the Adams-Jefferson letters were among the best prose pieces in English.

Pound neglected Emily Dickinson, the greatest writer in the English language. Until you learn how to read her poems you will read everything as though it is a litany.

>shitting on Donne
Worst post I've ever seen on this board.

>Absolute greatest
>No Spanish golden age besides Don Quixote
>Collected Shakespeare

>He studied only those poets who he considered the absolute greatest

I think it was obvious he was a pseud from the third sentence

>Also, desu, I've always been extremely skeptical of the majority of what I spend my time reading

>desu

Apparently not because it sounds like you've been spending your time reading tumblr

Sub godtier lit can still have good ideas to steal.

>not even the best flaubert
And what would that be?

Frank O'Hara

This guy's got it

Veeky Forums automatically changes t b h to desu

>the next ezra pound from Veeky Forums

>Veeky Forums acting as if we're not all pseuds

>Veeky Forums pretending to be the gatekeepers when most of the posts on this board are genre based SHITE or IJ memes

Srsly can we kill ourselves collectively. None of you fucktards know anything about anything.

Just read In Search of Lost Time or Ulysses until your eye's bleed, become an alcoholic to cope with the pain, write about it, die.

If you don't do the above, just devote all your time to Finnegan's Wake and then write a personal essays about it so TNY will suck your dick.

Was a hack who only got published for having the right friends. Like Jack Kerouac if he read Ashbery and tried to emulate him. Fucking pleb.

Also, Williams did nothing that Dickinson hadn't already done, except he forgot all the deeper meaning
>muh plums and chickens

Are you retarded

>yfw shakespeare was known for quoting
just because you can't read french doesn't mean they didn't write it first.
Donne did come first but Swinburne's definitely more fucked than the flea.

Swinburne has a lot more to draw on by virtue of living later and Victorian education, but I don't think Donne would have been as fucked up in bed as Swinburne if he had lived later. Swinburne references back to a wider range of classical bawdiness.

Catullus and Ovid have a lot of the BDSM stuff that Swinburne is famous for and Sappho's long been a poetic inspiration, so I don't know OG is deserved either, which pains me to say because it sounds like I'm trying to shit on Donne.

I think he was more inspired by having stranger taste and more books than Donne. They'd both cite their classical references first if they did live in the same era, I think, because they take the same reference points in such different directions when they do have common inspirations.

What I want to say is if you want less of a loving soul and more of a debaucher cannibal in your lesbian poems, Swinburne is the one to go to. If you're not an angry or fucked up dyke, Donne is lovely.

this entire thread is a joke. you're a joke, everyone taking this seriously a stupid joke. you aren't ezra pound, you will never be ezra pound. you don't even understand what ezra pound said, look at you. every poet you're writing off as "minor" is 1000x the poet you will ever be just judging by your ignorance displayed in this joke of a post. you're insulting pound by thinking like this, he'd laugh at you if he wasn't annoyed by you first. I'd explain it to you if I didn't think you were a lost cause. if you're really curious read Ezra Pound again, then read him again. lord. so pretentious, too. you bother me, you really do.

pound's still attracting the fascists i see

>no kafka

missin out, OP

>pseud

this word is thrown around so often on this board it's lost all meaning and it can be applied to anyone, just like the word hipster

Yes

>le fascist boogeyman

>Middlemarch isn't that great
>dissing Ovid
jesus christ

>It's another make a list of books that OP wants to have read thread
>It's a another list of books that OP hasn't read thread
>OP hasn't read the things that he has in his list
>OP thinks that he's following the tradition of Ezra Pound
>It's another thread where other anons throw around the names of the classics because they like the idea of reading them but have most likely never read them
>It's another Cantos thread
DELETE LIT

You should read non fiction too so you have something to write about.

okay, maybe he's just a childish spoiled brat instead of a fascist; he's still an idiot enough to think he's in charge of everybody.

He's right though lol

L'education sentimentale

My nigga

Just stick to Homer, Dante, Shakespeare, Tolstoy and Joyce.

Lyric poetry is quite different though, it can't be contained to a few figures like narrative. Also there's no point in reading Sappho/Catullus etc. unless you can read Greek and Latin.

nah, his mode of thought is going to trap him in mediocrity, though kudos to you for helping him get there faster.

this

How the fuck do you study the greatest when you haven't read them? Mate I'm sure Pound read a lot of shit first multiple times then narrowed it down

wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations

Sounds more like you're upset that he called you a joke so you're lashing out like a baby. Protip, you're a joke

>maybe you're jelly of the crybaby
i think i'd prefer to keep recommending pound and his ilk to people instead of trying to convince people they're not worthy of him. if you're into the second option though, you can hang out with the idiot fascist.

Hearing Nabokov shitting on other translators is odd to say the least.

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension

>when you bust a nut and she still sucking

nybooks.com/articles/1965/07/15/the-strange-case-of-pushkin-and-nabokov/
>This production, though in certain ways valuable, is something of a disappointment; and the reviewer, though a personal friend of Mr. Nabokov—for whom he feels a warm affection sometimes chilled by exasperation—and an admirer of much of his work, does not propose to mask his disappointment. Since Mr. Nabokov is in the habit of introducing any job of this kind which he undertakes by an announcement that he is unique and incomparable and that everybody else who has attempted it is an oaf and an ignoramus, incompetent as a linguist and scholar, usually with the implication that he is also a low-class person and a ridiculous personality, Nabokov ought not to complain if the reviewer, though trying not to imitate his bad literary manners, does not hesitate to underline his weaknesses.

>i'd like to back down now it's apparent i was trying to suck off a fascist idiot who wants poetry to be muh sekrit club
I think you need to work on not sucking dick