"happy birthday user! I couldn't get that book by deus-too-esky or whatever his name is...

>"happy birthday user! I couldn't get that book by deus-too-esky or whatever his name is, but the lady at the bookshop said game of thrones is very popular and you said you haven't read it so here it is!"

>asking for dosto for your bday
new to reading pleb confirmed
>bitching to strangers on the internet about gifts people give you
ungrateful cunt confirmed

/justteenagethings/

What kind of pleb asks for Dostoevsky lol

Thanks, wasn't something I necessarily expected to read but it'll be nice to form an educated opinion on the series, instead of just spouting bullshit based on memes and the average reader. Let's go have a couple beers, on me.

>implying everything you need to know about asoiaf can't be surmised by reading a single fucking page

You sound like a wee faggot

And that's how we ended up with people thinking that "Corncob McCarthy" or similar memetic tidbits are valid criticisms of books.

What's "everything you need to know"? Who defines it, and why is his opinion important?

I know these are Philosophy 101 rebukes, but I'm fighting your opinion on its own ground.

So I have to fully read 6000+ pages of utter trite in order for my opinion to even be CONSIDERED valid and open for discussion? Fuck off

Game of Thrones is a great book, if you disagree you're a snobby autist who thinks he looks cultured doing so.

Or simply just not a pleb normie

significantly more than only one page you disingenuous idiot

what compels people to make these posts?
when you think about, even if it's a troll or w/e, you have to be somewhat fucked up to even consider making such retarded posts.

>Mother calls what I want for christmas
>Tell her to just get me a book
>Package arrives
>Open it on christmas
>It's American Psycho
>mfw

>look at me guys i'm so cool i read obscure russian writers

neck yourself

Dostoevsky is obscure?

Whatever you say, GoT isn't plebby. You're just a pseudo-pseudo-intellectual.

Do you ever get tired of pretending to be cultured?

No, but reading those 6000 pages may enable your critiques to actually engage with the texts, instead of merely being platitudes like
>utter trite

You know, when a philosopher critiques another they usually provide quotes and in-depth discussion, instead of just saying "lol he wrong"; afterwards, this sentiment may be condensed into a scathing aphorism, but the foundations for it have been laid, unlike you did in this case.

You're an idiot for posting this in a thread mentioning only Dostoevskij.

Don't be salty, pleb. Could you even name all the ASOIAF books released thus far? Or did you not bother to read up on them beyond the meme opinion you got handed to you here?

Not him but i have read them all and they are garbage, as much as people hate the shows they are better and i regret wasting my time. Brienne just goes in a big circle for 500 pages, Sam and Catelyn are duller than hell and Sansa is a whiny boring bitch. Not to mention the pagelong food descriptions and lack of any literary merit.
People read them to find out what happens because he can tell a good overarching story but the padding between interesting moments is hell.

thank you shia-kun maybe we could watch the series later tonight?

▶You, like Socrates, will be killed by sophists before you reform them.

So be it, I'm not stopping. Besides, Greek sophists were much better opponents and thinkers than the rabble you can find on here - their argumentative stance was born out of a dialogue with Parmenides's writings, as they saw discourse as the home of Not-Being and used it accordingly, to highlight its relevance. These shitposters have barely got the hang of memery, it's like shitting on maimed butterflies.

Is Sophistry truly endemic to democracy? Is it right to say that Socrates was killed by sophists rather than for sophists? Socrates himself even accepted his fate, he could have escaped it but he chose not to.

Honestly, Socrates's death was more likely due to his being a destabilizing agent in post Thirty Tyrants Athens than to his being an anti-sophist; he had been accused of collaborationism with the Tyrants (which he opposed) by the time he got nailed for his "treacherous teaching" to children, so my guess is he was seen as a menace for Athens's peace and was accordingly taken out - so in the end yes, he was killed by sohpists/proper statists. The important bit was, as you highlighted, his attitude to the whole thing.

And Sophisrty is endemic to every discourse, not just democracy. It just structures itself according to the space it has in a given "politic of discourse".

I wonder what Veeky Forums would be like if people had to make an effort for people to fall for their bait.

Whats wrong with asking for dosto as a birthday gift ffs

We would inadvertently be producing literature through shitposting