Does anyone know how to get rid of this on a cast iron?

Does anyone know how to get rid of this on a cast iron?

It looks like an fine layer of rust but I can't remove it with stool wool - even after letting it sit in water and vinegar.

yes

is stool wool clumps of ass hair with poo stuck in them?

not when you don't have a higterian flamnapler.

suppose to use Himalayan pink salt

No

> It looks like an fine layer of rust but I can't remove it with stool wool - even after letting it sit in water and vinegar.

If it were STAINED you could soak it in vinegar and SALT to remove the stains.

But in this case that won't work. You scratched a layer of coating off your pan. The only way to fix would be to gather all those metal ions you scratched off and fuse them back into the metal you have.

OK how do I go about doing that?

...really?

Okay, fine. You'll need a gas oven (electric doesn't gather to ions properly). Turn the gas on high, but make sure it doesn't light (the heat would keep redistributing the filings in the air, so they can't collect). Place the pan in the oven, on the bottom rack. Place your head in the oven, on the pan (this will act as a focus point). It takes ~ two hours. I'd say take a nap, to pass the time.

Please don't troll me and tell me

pour lighter fluid in the center, drop a match, throw your stool wool into the fire (more stool wools the better coating)

Just scrub the shit out of it or sand it if need be and then get you some lard and reseason it.

>stool wool

>coating
>cast iron
Is this a thing?

not him, but he's telling you you ruined your pan

yeah ya dingus

pro tip if you have an electric stove never put it above medium the coils go from 0 to 200 in a couple of minutes causing your pan to warp also never let a cast iron pan sit on a stove uninterrupted for more than five minutes iron is a stupid metal that doesn't want to reach equilibrium meaning it just keeps absorbing heat
also never ever go from hot to cold that temperature difference can cause your pan to crack and most importantly every thing you hear on this site Veeky Forums especially take with a grain of kosher salt these niggas always memeing im not though

>uninterrupted
elaborate please

as in don't just leave it there without putting something in it believe it or not every thing you put in a pan cools it to a degree even oil

understood. thanks

It looks fine oh pee just reseason. I don't see any rust.

But... It's supposed to just be cast iron. Iron, poured into mold. My cast iron has no coatings, it's just iron all the way through.

its basically a layer of iron that got stripped one would say a coating of iron that got stripped i guess you are technically correct though

Is this a symptom of newer manufacuring methods? My cast iron is nearly 60 uears old, and though it's gotten a bit thin, the surface has become as smooth glass and there's noticeable uneven heat distribution, it's still black iron (pig iron?). There's no noticeable layers like you might get with forge welding or something.

it definitely possibly that the way cast iron pans are made have changed due to better resources or it could just be OP didn't have a CAST iron pan and just had an iron pan

Just because it was cast doesn't mean it wasn't coated u dumb nigger

If you want it like new sandblast it to raw, use flax seed oil and reseason it bot inside and out

>it's gotten a bit thin
How the fuck do you clean your pan after cooking, with an angle grinder or a belt sander?

With a soft sponge and soap. For 60 years of frequent use.

Op, I take it you're a beginner and that's totally fine, so I'll give you the basics on cast iron.

Don't use soap. People argue you can, some say you can't, they have reasons to prove each way but it's probably safest to go the traditional way of just taking a scrub brush, throw coarseish salt on it, scrub it like that, since it well with hot water, then dry, put it onto the burner to evaporate all the water, then apply a thin layer of high smoke point oil (grapeseed, canola, vegetables) over the entire surface of the skillet. Let it cook then remove it from heat until it cools.

That's what makes the coating (seasoning is the proper name) on it that makes cast iron so nice. That thin layer of hardened oil makes the thing damn near nonstick and the heat properties of the iron is fantastic. It's a good pan but only if you take care of it.

By scraping it with steel wool, you likely removed all the seasoning (coating) from the pan, revealing the bare iron. It would be wise to reseason the pan and start to recuperate the losses. A great way to do that is by putting your oven to 350, apply a thin layer of high smoke point oil (or a fat) onto it, and place it in the oven, facing down, on top of a cookie sheet for about an hour. Take it out then reapply another thin layer of oil. You can put it back into the over for another hour or call it done.

Fuck, I've never written so much on this Taiwanese basketweaving forum before.

I'm not OP. I've never used steel wool. Follow reply chains before exerting yourself.

I clean with soap and a soft sponge (there is literally not one single reason in of existence not to use soap) after every use, and I season with lard.

>hardened oil

My god, who shit in your coffee?

Let it soak in lye for 5 hours

>It looks like an fine layer of rust but I can't remove it with stool wool

This is an example of why cast iron is the shit, as all you need to do is just sand that shit out until you get to clean metal, re-season it with flax seed oil, and it's good as new.

He needs to salt it before oiling it.
Veeky Forums always forgets this step.

Salt is for removing stuck shit on a seasoned pan, and that pan isn't seasoned.

Sandpaper is for removing stuck shit and rust on an unseasoned pan.

>Salt is for removing stuck shit on a seasoned pan
Nope, salting is for drawing out the maximum amount of moisture.
This leads to better seasoning.

You're correct. There is nothing wrong with soap. I use 100+ year old cast iron all the time. They are all still perfectly seasoned despite using soap every time.

When I cook at home I always keep a sink of hot soapy water. When I finish with the cast iron it goes in there, gets washed, dried, and then but into the still hot but off oven to dry.

I also always use lard to season with the exception of large dutch ovens which get their initial seasoning by spending the first part of their life as a deep fryer.

>Nope, salting is for drawing out the maximum amount of moisture.

That's what heat is for, user. You don't need salt for that, unless you want to create more rust.