How do I make a great burger patty? Just mash up some ground beef and salt and pepper? Nothing else?

How do I make a great burger patty? Just mash up some ground beef and salt and pepper? Nothing else?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazingribs.com/recipes/hamburgers/zen_of_hamburgers.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Grind your own chuck roast. I like to add about half as much lamb as I have beef. Form the patties GENTLY. Don't overcook them. That's about it. You're grilling these, right?

I don't have a meat grinder, is there an alternative?

>You're grilling these, right?

Yes

Avoid common mistakes like using egg/breadcrumbs as a binder or adding vegetables. If you want, add spices and/or herbs. Cayenne, paprika, ground thyme, ground coriander, garlic powder, salt, pepper, it all works. I wouldn't recommend adding fresh herbs/vegetables. If nothing else they can/will burn if any piece is exposed.

Wet your hands when shaping the patty, the meat will stick less to your hands. Don't make the patty retard thick either. Just. Just be reasonable. That cow didnt do nothing wrong. Traet it right.

Using pre-ground beef is alright. It's just alright, not great. Aim for 80/20 in terms of lean to fat ratio. Too lean and it's flavorless. Too much more fatty and it falls apart while cooking.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Is there any benefit to seasoning before I form patties or does it not matter?

I have 80/20 so that works out, then.

Adding the spices before forming the patties just insures that they're thoroughly mixed in there for even flavoring. If you added the spices as you cook the patty, a lot of it would basically just be wicked off into the oil.

A burger patty really isn't that complicated to make. Keep it simple, if you want to cook with butter just finish with it and use a little oil until you're there, and you're good to go.

If you're doing them on a griddle or in a skillet, protip: while one side is cooking brush the raw side with mustard before flipping, and toast your buns in the leftover fat. It makes a regular burger into something special.

Salt, pepper, and garlic.

>and toast your buns in the leftover fat. It makes a regular burger into something special.

This is a must for me...even McDonalds knows to do this, there is nothing worse than a cold fluffy white burger bun....steamed buns are also great

Also the perfect way to make a burger is with one of these, the key to a perfect patty is NO roundness, you want it to be like a hockey puck not like a squished ball, which is hard to do without one of these or something like it

Now that I'm thinking about it perhaps something like a Miracle Whip jar cap might be perfect, I'll have to try this next time

That's a pity. If you did, I'd recommend getting a a chuck roast, browning it on all sides, then shaving off the browned parts.

Since E. Coli can only grow on the outside of beef, by doing that, you'd have burgers that didn't require an internal temperature of 155 degrees, and could be cooked medium-rare without any issues, as long as you were careful about cross-contamination.

IMO there are two ways to go.

1) more coarsely ground with a good fat content. At least 80/20. You want to form the patty with putting too much pressure on it and compacting it but you do need to do it a little so it will hold together. Using 2 hands with the fingers of one touching the palms of the other. Rotate 180 degrees. Do this repeatedly using your thumbs as a guide to keep the round shape and for thickness. You want it to be pretty cool when you do this as well. Of course when cooking do not press. Cook in a pan or on a grill. If using a pan use clarified butter in it first, get it really hot, and then steer it good and reduce heat until desired doneness.

This yields a nice, thick, juicy burger dressed traditionally.

2) this one you want a little bit leaner and ground more finely. Portion it out much smaller than in number one and put it between 2 pieces of parchment paper. You can this one very compressed and also very thin. Cook quickly over very high heat in a pan. They can also be cooked on a hot grill but the grates need to be well oiled.

This one is much better suited for stacking and making things like bacon double cheese burgers.

Both are good and have their pros and cons.

definitely doing this next time I make burgs. Thanks m80

You can use a food processor and get a pretty good result. Put the chuck in the freezer until it stiffens a little, then cut into cubes and pulse in small batches. Works well, but you don't want to be doing huge quantities like this. Also go through the ground beef afterwards and make sure there are no stringy bits that have gotten through

Read this, particularly the mix in section: amazingribs.com/recipes/hamburgers/zen_of_hamburgers.html

Basically, never mix in salt, as it ducks with the proteins and ruins the texture of the meat. You can sprinkle it on the surface though

Thanks m8.

msg, liver, ground various cuts of beef if you want.

oh and grind frozen butter with the meat

The only binder you need is fat, if your patty is too crumbly use a higher fat grind the next time. Typically you will want 20-30% fat content depending on patty thickness with thinner pattys needing more fat. The diameter of a patty should always be larger than that of the bun.
Pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder can be mixed in with a fork or even better mixed in during grinding prior to patty formation. Add salt just before cooking.
Thicker pattys should be grilled and the meat should be packed as loose as possible while still holding together. These pattys should be 6 ounces or more
Thin pattys should be refrigerated prior to cooking and cooked on a griddle or pan at high heat. These pattys should be under 4 ounces.

I usually add a some worchester or super secret special russian pomegranate tamarind sauce.

I don't like to fuck around woth much more than that. If I'm making a burger with bison, I add some sage too it. Really works well with bison for some reason.

Fuck yeah. Fuck that sounds good.

america's test kitchen used a food processor on their hamburger and sweet potato fries episode