Is DFW in hell?

actually religious (say abrahamically) people, do you believe that DFW is in hell?
and if so, what is he doing in hell? does your scripture have any answers on DFW in the afterlife?

Other urls found in this thread:

robertfay.com/2012/08/the-faith-of-david-foster-wallace/
openbible.info/topics/hell
online-literature.com/james_joyce/portrait_artist_young_man/3/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

come on people you want to pretend to be sincere christians so atleast talk about it

We can't say for sure, OP. If he genuinely loved the Lord and Jesus and had the willingness and desire to repent, even though he may have fallen short, I think he'll be in Heaven. Ultimately, it's God's decision and not mine. Only God knows the hearts of man.

When was that picture taken? I want to know which books he wrote as a fatfuck so I can avoid them.

He killed himself so he's going directly to hell. Eternal suffering, probably being mocked for being too pretentious (his greatest fear) forever

hell is a state of being without God

He's most definitely in Malebolge.

don't you think that his drug abuse and state of mental illness might help his case a bit?

no idea when it was taken, I just googled DFW for an appropriate pic that isnt posted too often

unless you're orthodox, where, I believe, in the afterlife people sit around god and those in hell simply regard him differently, from another position
I also believe that in western christianity hell is generally regarded as a state aswell as a real place

>(say abrahamically)

>Jews
???

>Christians
Yes

>Muslims*
Yes

*unless you're thinking of terrorist muslims

He's in the undifferentiated bliss of non-being, faggots

He is in hell for writing shitty books and sweating all the time. He is doing a lot of the latter right now.

>unless you're orthodox, where, I believe, in the afterlife people sit around god and those in hell simply regard him differently

due to the sin corrupting your soul, god's love and presence, which would otherwise be pleasant, make you suffer

that's hell in orthodoxy

it's not a state without god, nothing can exist without god, not even hell
it's just that the sin in your makes love's presence unbearable

This would require Wallace to have had freewill, which it's clear he didn't. He was the result of his environment. It would be like a cat going to hell for killing a bird. Checked those divine trips, tho.

I like that better than Western hell

This.

The trips don't lie

He's in purgatory and it is our duty to pray for his eventual entrance to heaven.

His Kia has been reabsorbed by Baphomet. Unless he had some magical talent I'm unaware about.

A three of 8's beat 7's every time in poker

not in razz

Or 2-7 single draw

dubs to confirm

In all likelihood yes.

I read that St. Louis de Montfort once said that a man who committed suicide by jumping off a bridge managed to avoid hell and land himself in purgatory because before he hit the floor he made an act of contrition. However, he was a man of faith.

In the case of situation you presume that he didn't make it, especially if the man was never known to have faith.
Christ says that the sin that can't be forgiven is the sin against the Holy Spirit. One of the sins of the Holy Spirit is the total despair where you refuse to hope for salvation. At the end of the day, you can't go to heaven unless you ask God for it and hope that he gives it to you, and by all appearances DFW did not have that hope. People that are mentally ill are always dealt with less harshly ofc, but it seems like it was in control of his actions.

As for what he's doing in hell, he'd be in agony over his sins and despair that he never asked God for forgiveness or salvation. I do believe that hell is like Dante has it, in that its divided into levels of agony depending on just how grievous your sins were.

>do you believe that DFW is in hell?

A good and serious Christian must be agnostic on many questions—certainly on any particular man's fate after death. I do not doubt one bit that DFW was a sinner; I do not doubt that his suicide was a grave sin. But that entitles me not at all to say where he is now. There is a good reason that it was for a long time thought wrong to call anyone "damned".

On suicide:

From the Catholic Church's 1997 Catechism:
"Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide."

We know it is counted against him; we know not how it is weighed. His private benevolence or wickedness I do not pretend to know.

he went to church tho so who knows

>I read that St. Louis de Montfort once said . . .

Actually, it was St. John Vianney, I got mixed up.

The Orthodox will sometimes back exceptions when it comes to funerals and burials for suicides, if the person had a clinical psychological condition that drove them to suicide. But the guy wasn't even Christian.

Anyway, we don't claim to know who goes to hell, even though we have numerous people recognized as going to heaven (but you certainly aren't eligible for that recognition if you weren't Orthodox).

The suicide would point to yes, but he was also clinically depressed so perhaps his death was more the result of his mental disease than a willful self-destruction. I don't know but I hope not...

I do not believe that. Mostly because i'm not a child.

>the guy wasn't even Christian.

Are you his judge?

robertfay.com/2012/08/the-faith-of-david-foster-wallace/

>But the guy wasn't even Christian.
killurself

Jew here. Neither I nor any other jews I know believe in hell. I do know some who believe that if you kill yourself you get instantly reincarnated though.

Hell is nowhere explicitly said to exist in the Bible. Don't give me that shit about "there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth"; learn to read metaphorically, dunces.

Wrong. Fuck off, pop-theologist.

he's in hell ironically

>I do know some who believe that if you kill yourself you get instantly reincarnated

Seriously?

If you actually believed that how could you resist the urge to off yourself even for a second?

>I do believe that hell is like Dante has it, in that its divided into levels of agony depending on just how grievous your sins were.
I mean, c'mon. How silly do you have to get. I was about to post that what Christians think of as "hell" is derived mostly from Milton and Dante, not the Bible, and read this, and it's hilarious how selfaware someone can be about their wrongness without quite understanding how wrong they are.

You guys are believing in an ancient form of social control by appealing to reward/punishment-based psychology, not true Christianity, jeez.

no, he's living his life again and forever

What's to suggest the Bible's incompatible with the belief of the eternal destruction of souls instead of hell for sinners? Why can't the weeping and gnashing of teeth be the moment of total awareness of one's nothingness just before death? Think, buddy, think.

that's hell though

>I mean, c'mon. How silly do you have to get. I was about to post that what Christians think of as "hell" is derived mostly from Milton and Dante, not the Bible, and read this, and it's hilarious how selfaware someone can be about their wrongness without quite understanding how wrong they are.

Dante's idea of hell does not exist in a vacuum. He was theologically literate and was painting the Church's understanding of hell. I referred to Dante because I know that's what most of Veeky Forums is familiar with.

>You guys are believing in an ancient form of social control by appealing to reward/punishment-based psychology, not true Christianity, jeez.

The problem is that God appointed bishops in order to tell us what "true Christianity" is. He didn't just leave us a book and ask us to figure it out for ourselves. The Catholic Church has always affirmed the existence of hell and its eternity.

>The problem is that God appointed bishops in order to tell us what "true Christianity" is. He didn't just leave us a book and ask us to figure it out for ourselves. The Catholic Church has always affirmed the existence of hell and its eternity.
OK. I guess all the benevolent Hindus and Buddhists and Jainists before some sandnigger Moses in the desert just went to "purgatory" (also extrabiblical) or just straight out hell for no reason. Makes sense.

Hell is mentioned and yes explicitely said to exist many times.

Pop-theologist, fuck off.

Actually, the Catholic Church allows for the idea that "virtuous pagans" prior to the coming of Christ may have gone to heaven with virtuous Jews like Moses and David. Prior to Christ, the blessed did not go to purgatory, they went to a part of hell called the "limbo of the fathers", which was a place of rest; the gospel refers to it as "Abraham's bosom"; it's the part of hell that Christ went to after his crucifixion, to release them from hell and welcome them into heaven.

Show me some verses and I'll admit it.

OK, thanks. But why do you think Christ has predominance over, say, the Buddha?

>it's the part of hell that Christ went to after his crucifixion, to release them from hell and welcome them into heaven.

pic related

>But why do you think Christ has predominance over, say, the Buddha?

Christ is God Himself in the flesh, and as such was able to reconcile God and man. Buddha was just a man.

Some people believe that Milton and Dante were divinely inspired. I'd like to think so. I don't believe in god though.

pic not related

this.
According to Judaism there is no hell.
Christianity is a branch of the Judeo tree and therefore cannot retroactively invent hell.
Same for Islam.

I consider myself Christian and I acknowledge this fact. Eternal punishment doesn't happen. Especially if you just did some drugs and committed suicide.

Have 100.
openbible.info/topics/hell

OK. Sorry for being so abrasive, by the way, I can see you actually have put some thought into your faith and it's not my place to discourage you from it if it brings you joy and a sense of meaning. Thank you for the answers, BTW.

uh yeah does that come with a side of eggrolls or is that extra?

>Christianity is a branch of the Judeo tree and therefore cannot retroactively invent hell.

Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. —Matthew 25:41

??

thought he drove a camry desu

And while the friends were still standing in tears by the bedside the soul of the sinner was judged. At the last moment of consciousness the whole earthly life passed before the vision of the soul and, ere it had time to reflect, the body had died and the soul stood terrified before the judgement seat. God, who had long been merciful, would then be just. He had long been patient, pleading with the sinful soul, giving it time to repent, sparing it yet awhile. But that time had gone. Time was to sin and to enjoy, time was to scoff at God and at the warnings of His holy church, time was to defy His majesty, to disobey His commands, to hoodwink one's fellow men, to commit sin after sin and to hide one's corruption from the sight of men. But that time was over. Now it was God's turn: and He was not to be hoodwinked or deceived. Every sin would then come forth from its lurking place, the most rebellious against the divine will and the most degrading to our poor corrupt nature, the tiniest imperfection and the most heinous atrocity. What did it avail then to have been a great emperor, a great general, a marvellous inventor, the most learned of the learned? All were as one before the judgement seat of God. He would reward the good and punish the wicked. One single instant was enough for the trial of a man's soul. One single instant after the body's death, the soul had been weighed in the balance. The particular judgement was over and the soul had passed to the abode of bliss or to the prison of purgatory or had been hurled howling into hell.

online-literature.com/james_joyce/portrait_artist_young_man/3/

>that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life
>Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life

This suggests destruction of the soul, not eternal punishment. "Cherrypicking" isn't a valid response, since it'd also be cherrypicking to only consider that ones that suggest hell and not destruction of unredeemed souls. There's a lot of talking about Christ giving eternal life, which suggests that the evil precisely won't have that.

Revelation, by the way, which is full of references to the lake of fire, is a highly occult and esoteric work that definitely should not be interpreted literally.

The talk in the four gospels of the fiery furnaces and gnashing of teeth and lakes of fires is always when Jesus is speaking in parables. I don't think Jesus suggests anything literally in those parables.

Finally, "sheol", "Hades", "gehenna" etc... could very well be a state of mind, of being removed from God in this life, not in the afterlife. Like Jonah in the whale of the belly could a metaphor of being entrapped in materiality and away from God. Just my spin on it, bro.

I don't mean to meme you with
>reading translations
but read up on the Greek text, specifically the word used, "aion" because it doesn't mean eternal, then study the Jewish Gehenna or Sheol and it will make perfect sense

I've done some light reading on it before and I'm not convinced
I'm not religious but I don't think the impossibility of christian innovation is credible either

I don't 100% understand what you're saying, but- and this is counterintuitive, reading more into Abrahamic religion you realize how loose and universal it can be. How Buddhists and Hindus fit into it, how Native Americans and aboriginals who've never heard of even the idea of organized religion are counted among God's children. If you're interested in that study, of course.

It's the entry-level undereducated religious folks spouting off misinterpretations and half-truths that makes everything seem so divisive

I doubt he had faith in God or Jesus Christ, so probably.