Where do you actually get the bones to make stock? I'm in the UK if it matters

Where do you actually get the bones to make stock? I'm in the UK if it matters.

The supermarkets only sell whole chickens with the giblets removed, so you barely get any bones at all. There's no butcher nearby to sell me bones. I'd have to buy like 2 chickens just to have enough bones to make half a litre of stock, but I'd use more than half a litre when cooking them.

Foreigner living in USica here.
I've been to le UK, but have never been to smaller supermarket, like an East Asian one or anything, just Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose and Iceland (which, fuck you, I like), so I can't say for the UK exactly. However, in my home country, they're available at most supermarkets and here in the US, they're available at East and Southeast Asian supermarkets as well as, increasingly, the more common supermarket chains.
If you can't find them in your common supermarket, try a Chinese or other East Asian supermarket. They're sure to have them.
G'luck, Bongbro.

Also, it takes me three chickens to get enough bones (backs, necks, wingtips, ribs and thigh bones) for 1L of stock. Two chickens is not enough for me.

>vuying meat at a supermarket

There's definitely no butcher near you? Even most small towns and villages have at least one. Anyway, it's worth asking if your local Tesco or whatever have a butchery bit (a lot do now) if they'll give/sell you them.

Just buy chickens whole, do what ever you do with them and save the bones in the freezer.

Morrisons or a butchers?

Buy whole chickens and either butcher them or roast them and use the meat however you want, then put the bones in for stock.

It's like you didn't even read the OP

start up your own farm

>Where do you actually get the bones to make stock?
Why the fuck are you even here?

No, he's going to some pretty shit supermarkets because I've always made stock from chicken caracasses and they've had the giblets. It makes fantastic stock.

I'm in Australia but I can buy chicken frames here fresh or frozen for about $2 per kg

1kg you usually get 2 to 3 chicken carcases with the meat removed. If you're I'm the UK and you can't find a butcher, you must be in central Londonistan or something.

Butchers and Asian grocers sell them everywhere here. I guess we are full of chinks, which is better than being full of pakis to bed quite honest senpai a lam

Good luck though m80

>No butcher nearby.

Travel further. You can probably find a butcher within an hour of you even if you're in London. Get a big bag of bones (a lot of butchers will just give you the bones for free) and make stock from them.

Also switch up where you're buying your whole chickens from, or make the stock more concentrated. I use a slow cooker at night then a pan over the day to make my stock from supermarket chickens and it works fine. But then again, the ones I buy have necks and such still in them.

>"whole chickens with the giblets removed, so you barely get any bones at all"
Giblets are not bones. Were you trying to say that you will need more bones since you don't have giblets for flavouring the stock?

If you truly can't get chicken bones anywhere, a bag of chicken wings works as a cheap and easy supplement for the chicken carcass from your roast.
If you want your stock to be more gelatinous, chop the bones into halves.

OP here

For the people asking why there's no butcher nearby, I live on a university campus, where I'm also not allowed to have a car. So I'm limited to places within walking distance.

Thanks for the suggestion, my local Tesco does have a butcher, I'll ask them.

I'll try the chicken wings suggestion too.

In Spain they sell chicken carcasses in most supermarkets for .99 to 1.5 euros per kilo. Also beef bones for about 2.5, pork bones for around 1.75. Lots of good stuff to make stocks :)

Come on mate, I'm a Brit too.

You can get precooked chickens in Lidls for under £4, you take the meat from the bones to make a massive pot of curry or something and freeze the bones . . .. it only takes about 3 chickens carcasses to make a decent stock.

Get a bike faggot

I keep a bag in the freezer and slowly accrue bones into it. When it's full I make stock.

Do the same with carrot and potato peels.
Makes for a dark and intense stock.

Just get the normal uncooked whole chickens in Lidl. You can make stock from just one of them.

>adult
>not allowed to have a car

Wow uni in Britain must be fucking gay

I tend to use making stock as a reason to clean out the fridge, vegetable wise. So I don't keep vegetable scrapings for that purpose (though I probably should).

There's a secret chicken burial ground down the road I go to for all my chicken bone needs.

>Wow Britain must be fucking gay

FTFY

OBSESSED
B
S
E
S
S
E
D

chicken thighs or leg quarters. Morrisons sells beef bones as well.

Yes, you seem to be...
e
s,

y
o
u

s
e
e
m

t
o

b
e.

You can bring a dozen cars to university if you desperately want to, just either keep them off campus or.. don't apply to stay in a block that doesn't provide parking, there's always plenty of other accommodation options. It's not some kind of blanket ban on car ownership.

Anyway, try Morrisons if you have one nearby, they often sell cheap packs of bones for stock making.

For chicken: i pretty well just buy whole chickens and break them down, and reserve the bones in the freezer. For fish and shellfish, i biy whole whenever possible, fillet/clean myself, then reserve the shells or bones and heads in the freezer. Pork or beef bones i buy from either a butcher or an asian market.

I eat a lot of chicken legs
They are tasty as fuck, cheap as shit and I can save the bones.
Usually use like 6 legs to make stock

Oxtail makes great stock. Just remember to pull the meat off the bones for some other use before you extract all the flavour out of the bones.

Bones are literally a meme ingredient. They contribute very little flavor compared to meat. The only thing they do is make the stock gelatinous, but for that you could just add pure gelatin to it. I've made beef stock with just meat and no bones and then added the gelatin later and found that there's no perceptible difference compared to my usual beef stock which has 2 parts bones per 1 part meat. I've also made a stock with nothing but bones and mirepoix and found it to be pretty much flavorless, unless heavily reduced.

Somebody has never tasted bone marrow

I don't do it, but my mom just keeps a big zip-lock bag in the freezer with bones. Saves them up until she has enough, then makes stock

>Where do you actually get the bones to make stock? I'm in the UK if it matters.

1) the butcher
2) the butcher counter at the supermarket
3) buying cuts of meat from the supermarket which contain a high bone:meat ratio, especially when on sale. Ribs, feet, chicken wings, etc. are good choices.
4) Ethnic markets, in my case Asian (Chinese) market, and Mexican
5) Buy larger cuts and save the trimmings. For example, if I want chicken breasts for a dish I'm not going to buy pre-butchered chicken breasts. I'm going to buy the whole chicken, then cut the breasts out and save the remainder for stock.

This guy is pretty much right on the money. You need a combination of meat (for flavor) and bones (for the gelatin). Using all bones is going to make for a fairly bland stock.

I make a quart of chicken stock every time I roast a whole chicken. It comes out jelly when I put it in the fridge which means it's better than what you can buy.

roast and salt your bones first you fuckin animal

whole chickens are perfect for stock................key for me is to break the big bones, this almost guarantees a lovely jelly stock once you chill in the fridge over night

Roasting changes the flavor, sure. But that doesn't change the fact that meat has more flavor than the bones do.

>salt
Why? All that does is restrict how the stock can be used. If you salt it to begin with then it could easily become too salty when reduced for a sauce. It makes more sense to leave the salt out of the stock itself and instead you salt the finished dish/sauce/soup/stew/etc.

entirely too many people don't understand between stock and broth.