Guy From a Montana Trailer Park Overturned 150 Years of Biology on LICHENS

science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2016/07/20/science.aaf8287

In the 150 years since Schwendener, biologists have tried in vain to grow lichens in laboratories. Whenever they artificially united the fungus and the alga, the two partners would never fully recreate their natural structures. It was as if something was missing—and Spribille might have discovered it.

He has shown that the largest and most species-rich group of lichens are not alliances between two organisms, as every scientist since Schwendener has claimed. Instead, they’re alliances between three. All this time, a second type of fungus has been hiding in plain view.

“There’s been over 140 years of microscopy,” says Spribille. “The idea that there’s something so fundamental that people have been missing is stunning…”

neat stuff OP. Sadly, this is Veeky Forums, meaning your good thread is going to be ignored for the retarded consciousness threads.

I read about this. Pretty cool actually. Makes one wonder what sort of things are possible by tweaking these organisms (given that there's toxic variants and non-toxic variants that aren't really understood yet).

Can someone tldr the link for me

2lazy but actually interested

How the hell do they miss that?

BASED SCIENTIFIC METHOD WINS AGAIN!

One of the fungus is hiding cells in the other or someshit. It sounds kind of analogous to chimera animals.

Biology is not my strong suit can someone explain to me why this is a big deal?

Basically lichens are symbiotic fungi that are an alliance of three diffrent species.They also can do "agriculture", also useful in many ways.

OP, can they grow all kinds of lichens?

Get a load of this butthurt faggot.

>“The idea that there’s something so fundamental that people have been missing is stunning…”

Lichens is one of those things that NOBODY studies. If anything this is proof how the scientific method can fail if nobody cares, makes money, or is interested enough in a subject to cross examine research.

What are some other subjects that nobody studies? Might be a quick way to become famous.

It's just interesting.

>Guy From a Montana Trailer Park Overturned 150 Years of Biology on LICHENS
>t-they're not alga+fungus! t-they're a-actually ALGA+2xFUNGUS!!!
You could make a living writing clickbait articles, OP.

Space weapons.

>intellectual anime posters.

kek, how are you going to be famous if nobody cares?

>OP, can they grow all kinds of lichens?

read the fucking link you shitstain

90% of all scientific studies are incorrect, only no one will repeat the study to debunk them.

noone cares about lichen.

the wolf is at your door

Scientists don't care.

Pop scientists will care.

Wouldn't just taking some lechens and putting them in a bowl also get the third fungus?

Like they should have gotten it right just by pure accident

I like how scientific papers don't tell you which one is the amateur. It literally doesn't matter since the point is the research done, not so much who did it

his publicist released a statement
earlier today specifically denying
that he cares anything about lichen