Can someone explain the inter workings of the 4th dimension?

I always heard the normie meme that time is the 4th dimension, but thinking of objects like a hypercube or tesseract, I do not think that those objects have really any relation to time, as 2d or 3d objects don't.

Then again, my major wasn't physics, rather aerospace engineering. Just an user who went through a Star Wars The Clone Wars binge and was thinking about craft using a method of utilizing the 4th dimension to travel shorter distances. Something like the 2d square faggot thing discovering how he could quickly travel in 3d space in the book Flatland.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_space
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-dimensional_space
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime#Spacetime_intervals_in_flat_space
eusebeia.dyndns.org/4d/vis/vis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Idk what a hypercube would look like (I haven't imagined it and have no care to knoe). I can tell you that time is not the 4th dimension of a hypercube.

A tesseract doesnt have time as one of its dimensions, its just an object that has X Y Z and W coordinates, hence, 4th dimensional. You just see it "move" cos you literally cant see its entirety, just a rotation on one of its 4 axes (assuming from the most typical image of tesseracts)

AFAIK time is considered a "4th dimension" mostly because of that whole space-time shebang, although Im not a physicist so...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_space
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-dimensional_space
These are different concepts. For one, distance is measured as [math]\sqrt{\Delta \Delta x^2+\Delta y^2+z^2+\Delta w^2}[/math] in [math]R^4[/math], but as [math]\sqrt{\Delta x^2+\Delta y+2+\Delta z^2-c\Delta t^2}]/math].

* but as [math]\sqrt{\Delta x^2+\Delta y+2+\Delta z^2-c\Delta t^2}[/math] in Minkowski space: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime#Spacetime_intervals_in_flat_space

also fuck my latex skills.

Could black holes be 4th dimensional object since inside a black hole you would see everything that fell into the black hole provided you were to live through being red shifted to oblivion
(Figured I'd ask here while on the subject and my question doesn't deserve it's own thread )

You don't see in a black hole - it's 2 dimensional + you are the brain pretty much which requires a 3 dimensional organic support to be aware of events around it.

You wouldn't simply exist in a black hole, experiences would cease to exist close to event horizon when you would be stretched to death.

Self bumperino

Self bump 2

Maths graduate here.

Surely you should know that a dimension is just a number. Our space is called 3 dimensional, because for an arbitrarily large volume, you need 3 numbers to specify a point. OK? I'm not going to justify this - it's definitely fact on the scale of a metre, say. 3d euclidean space.

We say spacetime is 4d because you need another number for time - so you need 4 numbers for an "event" - a point-and-time.

4d shapes are those that would be possible in a space that requires 4 numbers to specify a point. You can now move in an extra direction parallel to all the sides of a 3d cube.

For more info, read Flatland. It's such a great book that even my android dictionary knows it.

Small correction: parallel should read perpendicular.

Yeah, basically what this user said:
However, the fourth dimension need not always be a temporal one. Adding a temporal one only allows you have a time dependent system. A tessaract is a four dimensional spatial object, so objects in it would be represented by a four dimensional coordinate system like (x,y,z,k) where k is the fourth dimensional variable. Now, because we're three dimensional shit-posters, it's very hard (impossible) to imagine four-dimensional shit posting. But in much the same way as shit-posting in three dimensions involves having three orthogonal directions in which to shit-post, shit posting in four dimensional space would require four orthogonal directions in which to shit-post

Stop. You can't bump your own thread.

>newfag detected

>misusing greentext whilst calling someone a newfag
wew

this is the one- inside outside any side every side

> i feel it

A movie has 4 dimensions

3 spatial dimensions, and you can see the 4th dimension by pressing play

I have a question related to the topic at hand.

While working calculations I talk to myself.

If I encounter [math]x^3[/math] I say "eks cubed"

If I encounter [math]x^4[/math] is there anything wrong with saying "eks hypercubed" to myself ?

>"eks hypercubed" to myself ?

That is max autism levels man.

Does the fourth dimension (and the dimensions beyond) exist overlain on our own dimension? Or is our universe intrinsically and exclusively a 3D one, with 4D universes existing elsewhere in the multiverse?

Imagine the entire world is transparent or you have X-ray vision and can see through everything. This is what you see in 4D. Except this is only a 3d cross section of 4d space, like how sheets of paper in a stack can be thought of as 2d cross sections of 3d space.
Now try to visualize the room you're in completely transparent with your X-ray vision once again, and imagine a 2nd room identical in every way overlapping the 1st room, and then imagine a 3rd room perfectly overlapping the others, and keep doing that to infinity or till your brain melts.

Also, if a 4d entity was in your room right now, he'd be invisible to you, but if he looked at you he'd see you're insides as if you were transparent. You'd look like a spooky skeleton to him.

if we all lived in a flat 2d plane and were 2d creatures that just moved around, but never over, each other we would say time is the third dimension. we might explain a plane moving around in time, thus tracing a larger plane, as our explanation of the third dimension. we simply would not be able to grasp that you would take an infinite amount of planes and construct them "up" on top of a base 2d plane in order to get a 3d cube.

basically pic related and there ain't nothing you can do about it.

Repeat after me.

eks to the fourth power

time as the 4th dimension is a bit misleading. if our experience was limited to 2 dimensions, then we would experience the 3rd dimension by linear means.

temporality is just a 3d explanation of a 4d experience

Time as a 4th dimension just means that there are 3 spatial dimensions and also a dimension in time

That is you need 3 numbers in order to define whereabouts something has happened, and 1 number in order to define when it happened.

Things like hypercubes need 4 spatial dimensions, not 3 spatial and 1 temporal

It's just a mathematical thing
>2D: (x,y)
>3D:(x,y,z)
>4D:(x,y,z,w)

Gifs are the 3D shadows of a rotating 4d cube

I literally did aloud.

but is there anything logically inconsistent with eks hypercubed ?

As the others have said, mathematically a 4th dimension is not a very deep concept, we just can't imagine it visually.

In physics it so happens that the way you move through space affects how you perceive time relative to others. This means that you cannot treat time independently from space anymore, hence physics (well, relativistic physics) uses 4-dimensional "spacetime" with 3 space dimensions and 1 time dimension.

Maybe it's a black hole. Maybe it's in your head.

> parallel
Perpendicular

> he'd be invisible to you
Wrong, you would see a 3D projection of him, or rather two 2D projections that your brain merges into a 3D projection.
Basically, imagine a stick man on a transparent sheet of paper. He's a 2D character. He can only see things that are in the same plane as the sheet of paper. If you draw a line on the sheet, Stickman can't see what's behind it. Stickman can see beyond the sheet as long as there's translucent material there (so the edge borders on air, water etc). So what DOES Stickman see?
Stickman sees along a line starting at his eye, that travels in the plane of the sheet of paper. This plane extends beyond the sheet. So imagine the sheet of paper expanding and intersecting with objects in your room. Everything that lies on that cross-section is visible to Stickman unless it's obstructed. This includes a line across your body. Remember that Stickman still has 3D coordinates, but he can only determine his 2D position on the paper plane. The addition of a third dimension would be akin to layering an infinite amount of infinitely thin planes on top of Stickman's. Stickman can't see anything that lies in any of these planes. Also remember that "on top of" the plane only makes sense to us as 3D beings; there is no "on top" in the 2D space Stickman occupies.
Let's say Stickman is the center of his universe, his 2D coordinates are (0,0). For simplicity's sake we'll assume the x and y axes and the origin of his 2D space coincide with ours, i.e. his 3D coordinates are (0,0,0). Stickman is lying on your desk.
Now take a blue piece of string, attach it to the desk next to Stickman at (1,0,0) and to the ceiling at (1,0,200). (In cm, assuming desk height of 1m and room height of 3m; the string will meet the desk 1cm to the right of Stickman).
What does Stickman see if he looks towards the string? A blue dot, at 2D coordinates (1,0).

Cont Now what happens when we lift Stickman vertically? We're not changing his 2D coordinates (x and y axes identical to ours), just his z coordinate changes. What does Stickman see if he keeps looking in the x direction? Still a blue dot, because we're moving the piece of paper along the string.
But what does Stickman see if he DOESN'T look at the piece of string?
Let's say he looks in the y direction, facing a window in 3D space (still lying flat on the table). At z=0 (lying on the desk) he'll only see a white "wall" (points along my room's wall at the same height as Stickman). At z=10 (10 cm above the table he can see a wooden "wall" (my window board) which is closer than the white "wall" was (!!). At z=20 he'll see a glass "wall" beyond which there's nothing for several meters. Note how I put "wall" in quotes, that refers to 2D space. Really, he only sees lines that act as walls in 2D space (i.e. objects he cannot pass through).
What does that mean for Stickman? When we move him upwards in 3D space along the z axis (that doesn't exist in his 2D space), he doesn't perceive movement. He only knows something is happening because his surroundings are changing (walls appear and disappear or change color depending on what the cross section of his 2D plane with the 3D world looks like). If we were to move him along any of the other axes, or rotate him, he would only perceive the change in 2D position change (unless the origin of his universe is a fixed point on the sheet of paper he's drawn on in which case NONE of his coordinates will change but the world around him will change drastically.

TL;DR
You can always only see a small portion of 4D space, and if your 4D position were to change, freaky shit would happen.

Cont To make the point regarding being able to see higher dimensional objects or beings clearer:
You CAN see (part of) them, as long as
- you look in their direction
- some of their points share the 4th coordinate with you
- they are not obstructed by other opaque objects

Let's say Stickman is human-sized and he's standing in the middle of your room. If you walk around him so you see him from the side, you can see all of him: his front, his back, his insides. He, on the other hand, can't see you because he can only see in the plane he's in, but you're standing off to the side!
If you stand face-to-face with him, you won't see him IRL because he's infinitely thin (finite resolution of your eyes etc). But theoretically you could see his front and he could see yours. From his POV you would be pretty freakish because you only have a nose and a mouth but no eyes! (He can only see the front of your cross section along the center of your body)
If you sidestep a little, you'd seem to lose your nose, grow an eye, your mouth seems to shrink. You'd also lose your dick. Sidestep more and you lose your eye again, lose the mouth, grow an ear and then lose the head entirely. Pretty monstrous. I'll try to draw a picture of a Stickman that has all normal sensory organs, that would look normal to fellow Stickmen.

Moral of the story?
> when objects appear and disappear around you while youcre not movingv don't freak out, it's just C'thulhu being a dick
> when you can see them, they can (prpbably) not see you
> when you CAN'T see them, they might see ALL of you -- inside AND outside
> don't worry if they are missing parts or have parts where they don't belong, you just can't see them all at once
> if you run from them, putting 3D objects between you and them is pointless. They can just go around them using the 4th dimension to "sidestep"

>tfw starting Cosmology MSc soon
>tfw need to know all this shit
>tfw need to become pro at LaTeX
>tfw how is this shit so complex

>multiverse

die

You can say whatever mystical nonsense helps activate your almonds, it's your chakras aligning not mine

eusebeia.dyndns.org/4d/vis/vis