How do i create a method to detect and measure the dark matter?

How do i create a method to detect and measure the dark matter?
I mean, like the dudes that made the machine to detect gravitational waves?

by researching existing methods for detection and finding their flaws

A dude in history channel, said that scientists are aware about dark matter, because the external parts of a galaxy should move at slower speed than the center of the galaxy because of the gravity.

Is there any other method to suppose that there's invisible matter?
Another visible effect that dark matter causes over the regular matter?

I think you need to look at the math of field mechanics, transducers. DM can be looked at as of an average density within the negative space between particles.

You need a really powerful torch and one of those clicker things that count attendance numbers

So dark matter is sort of a bullshit name given to an unknown gravitational phenomenon. Its effect has been somewhat "measured" in the sense that it should distort spacetime to a certain extent (i.e. it should exert a certain amount of gravitational pull). Beyond that, "dark matter" is just a phenomenological name, and there are several candidates for what it really is, all of which have different ways of being measured/observed. For instance, primordial black holes are a candidate, which you would look for with x-ray telescopes. I believe supersymmetric particles are also a candidate, as are WIMPS (weakly interacting massive particles). So once we can pin down what is actually causing dark matter's effects, then you could look for it and detect it.

Aaahhhh, i get it.
The dark matter phenomenon is the effect.
And the cause could be things that we know or predict.

The most common method for experimental attempts to spot dark matter (the way my former collaboration used to do it) is literally getting a bunch of some noble element in liquid form, removing any possible radioactivity source from it, putting it in a tank, and waiting for dark matter to interact with it through the weak force (an interaction should produce a little light).

People usually use either argon or xenon these days, argon is cheaper but has a nasty isotope that emits radiation that would "look" just like dark matter.

1. take a glass jar
2. measure the mass
3. if the mass if greater than it should be, then the jar contains dark matter

ez-pz

Wouldn't you need to make a lot of them underground and collect information for like 5 years to get a "reference point"?

It is difficult to properly "control" these experiments or set up a "reference point", as putting them underground (or anywhere) will not prevent WIMP dark matter from interacting with it. In fact, most experiments, the one I used to work on included, are permanently underground already to get an atmospheric radiation shield for free.

However, the noise background on these things can be found theoretically fairly well. In addition, most experiments "calibrate" by putting known radioactive sources near the tank and measuring the response, so there is plenty of data on that from multiple experiments.

So, they do it in purpose.
Wouldn't it be a pain in the balls then?
Because (i suppose) the bg radiation and external stuff could variate and mess up with the "reference point"
Damnit i wish i finished high school science sounds pretty cool.

It's never too late to learn about these things, even if not in a formal sense. In fact, learning it in a non-work sense is much better; particle astrophysics (and really astro in general) is a phenomenally toxic field when it comes to working -in- it, so I quit and changed fields. Also, as you say, these detectors are a pain in the balls.

Btw, you've actually picked up on a very interesting idea that was a headache for dark matter searches for a while. An experiment called DAMA found this weird oscillation in their noise background that was exactly yearly (see pic); they claimed it was because of some alignment with the Earth and a proposed halo of dark matter around the galaxy as we orbit the Sun, but it didn't hold water because no other experiments saw it. Not sure what their justification wound up becoming but it was definitely very embarassing for them.

isnt that just how people detect neutrinos?

Dark matter and dark energy are fudge factors for poor models of the universe.

Read up on Moshe Carmelli.

For all i know, neutrinos emit light, and that light is caught with photosensors.
>Japan
In the underground, this is done inside a big sphere of water with "photomultipliers" inside and outside.
>Antartic
This is done underground too. but here it's different there are a lot of photomultipliers everywhere because the ice is so "pure" that when the light emited by the neutrinos when they touch atoms it spreads by kilometers and kilometers without fading out.

>It's never too late to learn about these things
Maybe someday, i'll center on studying things by myself, right now i just watch pop-sience on youtube because atleast i understand something about the concepts

I said the thing about multiple detectors because they did the same with the neutrinos.
I wonder how much money do they have to spend in researching things like this?

In principle, correct. This is because neutrinos and WIMP dark matter would interact with normal matter through precisely the same method, the weak fundamental force. However, because dark matter -should- be leagues heavier than a neutrino, the materials used for detection/set-up/methods are fairly different.

For example, Borexino (a neutrino experiment) uses as their target material some trimethylbullshit organic compound instead of a noble gas.

You're right on both counts; but remember it's the interaction of the neutrino with the water/ice that causes light emission, not the neutrino just zipping around that produces light.

I almost worked for the Antarctic experiment for grad school, but the prof told me that the chances of me heading down there personally would be very slim; so I turned them down. (Can you blame me?)

Figures are difficult to make but I would say about tens of millions, maybe, at least for my former group.

Holy fuck that's actually awesome dude.
Did you actually go to the antartic?

And you're right in the interaction thing, i remember that the dude in youtube said, when the neutrino makes contact with something it's when it emits light.
It was just my fault for not paying attention.

Sadly no. Apparently there's a very long waitlist for anyone on IceCube to go down there + the experiment is winding down, so the chances of me ever going down there would have been terrible had I worked for them. C'est la vie.

maybe, you'll get rich, and then go there by yourself.

There is no dark matter, just like there's no gravitational waves.

dark matter is supposed to only interact through gravity

>There is no dark matter
right
>there's no gravitational waves
wrong