Mochi

Why isn't mochi more popular in the U.S.? I can't find it in ANY candy shops. I can only find it at Cost Plus World Market and the selection is very limited (but pic related is my favorite).

I've literally been looking in every Asian section of every grocery store, and every candy shop in a desperate search for more mochi, for a month now. I don't want to have to pay ridiculous shipping fees for mochi but I may have to. If I do, it better be good mochi.

So what's your favorite mochi?

I'll also accept mochi recipes although I share a kitchen and it gets crowded so I really try to limit the cooking I do there.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tmSrULDVRPc
youtu.be/5PZuMdrYI7E
youtube.com/watch?v=s5nkq4_FQ3A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I use this recipe: japanesecooking101.com/sweet-mochi-recipe/

It's pretty easy, and as for the mochi flour (and taro powder) nuts.com has decent shipping prices.

There are a lot of Asian grocers around me (Seattle area) so it's not difficult to get mochi here.

I like sesame/poppy seed and red bean mochi.

I'm in northern Nevada and it's practically nonexistent even for sushi restaurants and other authentic Asian places but I'd kill for that stuff. Quite a shame.

M89, homemade mochi can be simple as fuck. You can add any type of filling you like in it.

Just get yourself glutinous rice flour, some starch to mitigate stickiness and follow an easy recipe. Its much better than that Taiwanese stuff.

Have some adzuki beans and matcha around for extra authenticity.

Because we have real jelly donuts that are made from sugar, not beans

Which stores? Any in or near Greenlake? Please don't say downtown.

I always hated those.

It's a little odd, I hate probably just about everything about Japanese/Chinese culture, except some of their food is so good.

I especially like how this particular taro mochi isn't too sweet. That donut would make me vomit from the amount of sugar. Also jelly is gross to me, I prefer a lightly sweetened paste.

Uwajimaya, for one.

Can't wait until 2020. Gonna spend three straight weeks in Japan for the Olympics and sightseeing. Gonna get so fat off of street food and sweets. Especially mochi. Fuck, why you post this OP.

>Why isn't mochi more popular in the U.S.?
Probably because it's bland tasting, gook shit?

Because it tastes like shit and are inferior to any western sweet you fucking weeb shit

you can get this mochi ice cream at trader joes

Amazon has several different kinds of mochi available with no shipping if you've a prime account.

International District. Yuck.

I'll just ask around.

Why. Did you post a rice ball?

Green tea Mochi is the best. I always buy the fresh stuff when I see it in Asian supermarkets.

Jelly donuts are my favorite

I just head down to the local Korean mart

if calories make you vomit you need to do more exercise. burn 4k calories in a day and sugar isn't too sweet

kys weeb

日本のお菓子じゃなくて台湾のお菓子じゃないか

Weeaboos probably disgust me more than they do you but mochi is delicious.

They have them at trader joes

yeah this is the stuff. Shit is cash.

You are not japanese.
You will never be japanese.
Quit idolizing such a fucked up country before you fully alienate what little social circle you still have.

Friendly reminder: The Japanese hate you and your type.
You will never be accepted by them.

Dirty gaijin, amirite? But to be on topic, I've seen these being made and sold at my local HEB along with a sushi chef or whatever they're called.

Hmart, if there's on near you.

I'm not a fan, generally. That said, if it's freshly pounded (and still slightly warm from the friction) it's not bad.

I already stated I hate essentially everything about Japanese culture... I need mochi in my life though.

Calm down. You people are almost as stupid as weeaboos.

I don't think there is but thanks anyway.

This is a taiwanese knockoff and doesn't taste like real mochi.
I'm not saying it's shit, it's just not real mochi.
Kill yourself, Hans you cucked limpdick. Krapfen are shit-tier so give your daughter/wife/sister to Muhammad already, so your shit-tier nation gets breeded out by 2050 you disgusting scatfag.

What kind of backwoods hick towns are you guys living in? I live in AL and I can still find an Asian grocer that sells mochi.

>Asian grocer
Some of us don't want to deal with Paki's or Indians.

Isn't just a snowball with something over it?

That's a Desi grocer. Asian grocer = Chinese/Korean/Jap/Viet

Worst you'll see in those are Filipinos. Last time I went to an Asian grocery store I only saw light-skinned east Asians and whites.

Oh. So there's a chance I won't even like "real mochi"?

What's the difference? I really like this knock off.

were not talking about england here. everywhere else an asian grocer means chinese

I live in California. I just found a small shop one city away from me that sells mochi. Might try that.

>look on yelp
>type "mochi"

How hard can it fucking be?

>pakis aren't Asian
Thanks for the info.

>In green lake
Will you be my bf

I went there once and bought so much nice Asian candy and sweets

>>pakis aren't Asian

Not in casual conversation, no.

Asian market = China, Japan, Vietnam, Korea, etc.

Desi market = India, Pakistan

It's like they don't even to bother to check what's on sale.

>Desi
Which country is this dialect from?

Wikipedia has a pretty good article on the word.

I ate some big ass Mochi balls in Hong Kong and it was disgusting as fuck, really fucking disgusting. Had to wash it down with a disgusting Bubble tea as well. Their food is great but really can't into desserts/sweet.

I literally can find it at any trader joe's.

I get it from little Tokyo. Straight from the source.
L.a fag here.

Only the ice cream kind. The ice cream kind is disgusting except the mango flavored one. But even that doesn't compare to the kind in the OP.

I went to the Asian food market in North Seattle and it seems pretty gucci

It smells like shit and there are only Asian people there and a couple of neck beard.

The mochi was really expensive ($5) and it's the kind you find at trader Joe's but the more weeby brand only had vanilla. The rest was $5 combined

Ice cream mochi is disgusting though. I want the room temperature mochi.

Dunno, if you move to Hawaii it's in pretty much every market. But markets tend to sell to their locals, you won't find white markets buying the stuff up unless they express a demand, and many people are weird about trying new things.

Doesn't mochi have a reputation for being hard to make or is it because the traditional way is too time consuming?

I think they have mochi machines now though.

I think a study was done comparing Japanese sweets and Western sweets and Japanese sweets have lower sugar content than Western sweets.

Japan doesn't really seem as addicted to sugar as some other countries like take Mexico for example, I would hesitate to drink any Mexican sodas. Sure their Mexican sodas are made with real sugar but that is still way too much sugar.

Ice Cream Mochi is too hard.

Mochi should be fresh but ice cream mochi demands itself to be frozen in order to be sold.

One of the big downsides of ice cream mochi.

you realize youre supposed to let it thaw a bit right

youtube.com/watch?v=tmSrULDVRPc

Why are food documentaries so comforting to watch?

>mochi
That's not mochi you fucking idiot. That's a chinese snack. Just because it uses rice paste doesn't make it mochi.

i know this brand i think, a lot of these boxed mochi are pure garbage

H mart

its mochi coated in sesame seeds

This.
Real sweets are made with real sugar.

I hate those things. Its not the flavour, its the texture. I find it hideous

cause its like eating a slug

I'll buy you a drink but I'm not looking for anything like that.

And wontons are just steamed gyoza.

amerifat mentality:

>ewwwwww it has BEANS in itttttttt

>can be simple as fuck

Fuck you. It's impossible to roll the shit into shape.

My nigger.

>control + f
>green tea
>one result

You guys are really letting me down. Should be pretty easy to find in any asian grocery store, you could even ask them to order some if you wanted a whole bunch. I think the shelf life is pretty long.

It's not mochi you fucking donkey.
It's Jian dui.
Even if you considered that version japanese, they call that one dango.

mochi is boring and horrible. rice is boring as a flavor, its added to budweiser. just eat rice or glutinous rice or rice crackers. fuck mochi

hipster BTFO

American here and I love chinese snacks with red bean paste and other stuff.
There are Ranch 99's everywhere

I've made this recipe before (just the mitarashi dango), and it was easy as pie. If you can find glutinous rice flour, you ought to give it a go.

youtu.be/5PZuMdrYI7E

This is closer to mochi youtube.com/watch?v=s5nkq4_FQ3A
Just use a smaller bean ball and steam instead of frying. Or boil, maybe, idk.

When i went to Japan, my gf took me to her friends house in the mountains where her family made homemade mochi. They kept passing out balls of it to eat - not the kind with the bean paste inside, but just basically the pure rice glue. By the 3rd one i wanted to vomit. It was literally like eating glue. I hate mochi now.