I'm looking for some basic advice for cooking cheap steak. I acknowledge I am retarded

I'm looking for some basic advice for cooking cheap steak. I acknowledge I am retarded.

I have little experience cooking 'real' steak but I have bought some cheap beef in the past. My attempts to cook them at medium have left them a lot chewier than if I had put them to well done. It's probably obvious, but is this because some quality and cuts of meats will just be chewy (like difficult to bite through) unless cooked through?

My question is basically: am I doing something wrong, or should I be satisfied with cooking it more thoroughly? It's just going to be thrown on a sandwich with some gravy and onions. I'm not going to complain if I can't get something I paid 4 dollars for juicy and medium rare, but I also want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I just salt and put it in a very hot pan for a minute or two each side, but this has previously left it chewy
pic related (i'll prolly slice it thinner)
please don't yell at me

just get your pan hot as fuck and brown it well all over

salt it on both sides. let it sit for a bit, then wipe salt& accumulated moisture off with a paper towel. makes it easier to get it nice and crispy

Buy a meat tenderizer and pound it thin.

do you cover the pan?
also dont eat it right away let it sit for a bit so the juices can be redistributed

Yes with steaks you get what you pay for. Looks like from your pic that shit is lean af. If you get a better steak like a new york strip or a rib-eye, you can see the fat marbelling which makes them taste juicer and more tender.

There's no way to make that piece of beef not chewy/tough by grilling. Stews or slow-cooker roast seems more appropriate.

Also steakhouses (good ones anyway) dry-age their steaks which intensifies the flavors. Thats why you can't replicate the same taste.

Lastly, the steak should be room temperature before grilling and rested after for at least 5 min. This makes it so the juices have time to redistribute into the meat, instead of spilling out after one cut.

>farmer jacks girrawheen

Ay cuz, I'm just down the road from you near dog swamp ya white dawg

no I don't cover the pan
all this advice is appreciated. will take it all into account, thanks

good shit cunt
i live where the abbo's roam

If you're using it for sandwiches, are you cutting with or against the grain? I strongly advice you cut AGAINST the grain into thin slices which will help make it easier to chew.

>better steak like a new york strip

That name doesn't exist outside America, he'd be asking for a sirloin.

>you can't dry age steaks at home
Go and and buy yourself a clue you fucking hopeless shit-stain.

Mate, you can get chuck steak for that price or even scotch fillet for less than $10/kg if you buy a whole 5kg strip

Good fillet steak isn't that expensive if you buy a full strip and cut it yourself but if you have to use cheap steak there are 2 options.
1) Sous Vide cheap style. Put steak in a sealed plastic bag squeezing as much air out as possible. Cook in only just simmering (not boiling) water for 3-4 hours then flash finish in an extremely hot pan.
2) Marinade steak in an acid based marinade for 2 hours prior to cooking. Coke is one such option. Molasses and lemon etc.
In both options bonds in the meat are changed or broken thus tenderizing it. This is also what happens when you pound the fuck out of it.

*marinate

That some creepy shit. You mean that as soon as you leave America all traces of the term "New York Strip" disappear from existence?

Woah.

Well yeah, given that cut of meat has existed for longer than New York has its hardly surprising is it?

He means cover the steak by the way not just sprinkle and don't salt your steak after because it's already very salty. In my understanding of what the user said and in my experience.

Girrawheen? Whenever I go to the shopping centre there, I feel like the locals want to eat me!

Ocean Reef ftw

What I meant. ty

>Ocean Reef
Ever been to Shehnai Tandoori at Beaumaris?

I'm not from girrawheen, I'm around Tuart Hill area. I have been to that farmer jacks though and apart from the local people they have got some pretty good stuff you can't get at colesworths

It's OP who lives among the unna's

Like others have said in the thread, wit steak, you get what you pay for - Thin / cheap steaks generally requires a miracle to be good.
But other than that, let the steaks rest/breathe at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Cover them in olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
2-3 minutes on each side, depending on how thick the steaks are, and how you want them.

The room temperature thing is proven bs, you can cook straight from the fridge. Besides that id advise to buy cheap braising/slowcooking cuts (neck/tail whatever) and do stews like boef bourguignion or similar stuff. Only do steak if the meat is nice

Ffs I am not OP okay? I know how to cook steak