Does Veeky Forums practice their math on a whiteboard? Is this considered pretentious?

Does Veeky Forums practice their math on a whiteboard? Is this considered pretentious?

Sometimes it can be nice to work while standing up. It's especially useful to have one when you're collaborating with others on a problem. It doesn't really come across as pretentious unless you already are a pretentious person.

The only downside is space, sometimes when you're working on something you try a lot of different things and you will want more room than is on the white board. You might try one idea, put it to the side, try another, then want to return to the first. You're not going to have erased your earlier work if you put it on paper.

>not writing formulas on your windows

>practice their math on a whiteboard
>whiteboard
>white
>not black

get the fuck out, ass-loving cunt

Once one of my teachers couln't find a free classroom so he decide to tech his class outside an occupied classroom, and started writing on the windows number theory proofs. It was pretty nice.

>try to solve problem on paper
>disaster

>try to solve it on whiteboard
>ace it

every time

Working while standing up seems to get the blood flowing for a lot of people.

not pretentious, a whiteboard is a very nice tool. it's good to have big space with clean, fast erasing

>Relying on physical crutches for understanding

>not committing your results to paper only when they are fully realized and double-checked in your mind

wew lad

White boards are treated like the plague in my department. Blackboard or bust.

Does anyone want a whiteboard table? Freedom of dry erase without having to stand up all the time.

If I'm going to write on my desk, I might as well use paper.

that's a VERY inefficient way of working. paper / board is for scratchwork

jesus that's an amazing idea. I want one.

paper isn't as convenient for erasing and reusing, and you need to hold it down

>t. brainlet

If you can do all the math you do in your head, the math you're doing is not very advanced.

sounds like you're brain just isn't advanced enough desu

high schooler pls go before you make yourself look any worse :^)

i've got a degree in math, after a while you learn to do things in your head

maybe you just haven't had enough practice yet?

>i've got a degree in math, after a while you learn to do things in your head

fucking lmao
fuck off, you lying baboon

There is no way you're telling the truth.

do you want a picture of my transcript or something?

i'm not sure why you're so stubborn. have you never gotten good enough at something to do it in your head?

I've got a degree in psychology, after a while you learn to detect faggots

hey, you're one.

show them then. saying something as retarded as "you don't need paper / board" is ridiculous, especially if you claim to be a math major.

I got through a shitton of paper when I'm working, and so does everyone else I've met, student or professor

projecting much?

>and so does everyone else I've met, student or professor
do you study at a community college? hard to imagine these professors being very successful

are you expecting me to believe that you don't use paper or a board when working?
even more, are you expecting me to agree that that is in any way an efficient way of working?

what mathematical operations can you only do on paper/not in your head?

it helps to not rely on psychological crutches like paper/boards

Completely reasonable, user. If writing stuff down is so essential, then why are there so many blind mathematicians? (Euler, Giroux, Pontryagin,...)

how? It helps a lot to draw diagrams of a situation, to write down partial results and information about the problem, to attempt to apply something you feel might work, etc etc

it's mind boggling how you think it helps in any way to handicap yourself like that

It's mind boggling how you choose to handicap yourself by not keeping all the relevant information in your mind at all times. Your mind/memory is like a muscle, and if you neglect it by writing everything down, it will atrophy. You're like a skinny weakling watching someone bench 500 pounds and shouting "That's so inefficient! Why would you move the weight like that when you can just attach it to a pulley?

Jesus user that's deep. You're hardcore. I'll try to be hardcore.

undergrad spotted

I think user is on to something.

If you had a counterargument you wouldn't resort to name-calling. Read

>practise

Yes, that is fucking pretentious and retarded to spew your little textbook problems on a board.

The appropriate use of white/black boards is either when you're explaining something to others or you're writing down a model/proof/derivation that forms a core in your work.

i have pretty bad artistic ability, so visualization is much more helpful personally

>blackboardsmatter

You have a Bachelors. At Queens. Your first courses in analysis and algebra were just two years ago.

>ALLboardsmatter

Yes, i like to practice math on both whiteboard and chalkboard but the latter is tougher to clean.

More importantly I only do math on white printer paper instead of lined paper. I think the biggest problem with lower mathematics, and eventually higher math, is that students dont give themselves enough room. I am all for saving the environment, but for the sake of clarity you should space out your statements, equations and results as much as possible to make them readily clear to a quick scan of the page.

A whiteboard provides that space which helps to retain clarity. I would even encourage you to do math landscape on printer paper, or even long legal pads.

Always give yourself more space than you need, and dont feel bad about using up lots of paper. After all, in mathematics, all you use is paper and pencils.

>cum totals

>Freedom of dry erase without having to stand up all the time.
no im not a fat ass

I like his point though. Not that paper is useless, that's retarded. But the fact that training the mind with computations / memory might be worth it.

>It's mind boggling how you choose to handicap yourself by not keeping all the relevant information in your mind at all times
t. Socrates

>doesn't know that writing caused advancement in human history

no I have a white paper. Why would I need a whiteboard? Whiteboard has much less space, requires too much effort to use and discards your writings.

I'm pretty sure he's not saying he does computations in his mind, since, that would be almost impossible to hold that much precise information in your mind for any amount of time- but clearly concepts of math can be reasoned about as crude pictures and diagrams, as forms, which are very easy to visualize, like any kind of visual art.

Also, it's worth noting that some people are also just predisposed to visual thoughts, not auditory ones (which are the most common, and thus the likely confusion and doubt cast upon his claims). Architects, painters, illustrators, and other types of visual artists tend to be where those people end up though, not as much in more computation heavy fields. I know from personal experience that once I am asked to describe a form I am visualizing, no matter how complex it is, in terms of an equation, the picture vanishes and so visualizing it is "kind of" useless since the bulk of any of the work I do is really just computation or planning computations, and not visualizing.

If I'm working alone, I like to use white paper. I will index and hole punch the paper and put it all in a binder. Sometimes I'll have a problem years later and I can easily find work I've done before which is relevant/follows a similar pattern. If I'm working with a student or collaborating, I like a white board. Being able to use multiple colors is helpful when done correctly and colored chalk (ime) is a nightmare.

bought a whiteboard for my room

it's nice to write material on that i'm studying if i need reference, or to save paper. nothing beats paper and pen though

I lucked out and got a hold of a bunch of really nice whiteboards that some private school was throwing away, FOR FREE. I've got 72 square feet of high quality whiteboard on my walls.

Since they're high quality then I can leave writing on them for months and have no trouble erasing it later on (not even a hint of staining).

You can just take a picture of a whiteboard if there's some work you need to save. By far though the most useful thing about whiteboards is the ability to edit some material over and over again. This is good when you have some big diagram that you need to constantly come back to and rework portions of (useful for large category theory arguments, even more useful for database design, to name a few examples). If you're working on paper then you have to often deal with the eraser ruining the page, content being too cluttered, the design growing off of the page, and in general just being a pain in the ass.

Blackboards are only good if you need to be able to read that shit from far away. Only pretentious morons use chalkboards inside a home or small room. The amount of chalk dust blackboards create gets fucking everywhere in households that have them and use them regularly.

>not writing forumlas on your mirror

I work on white printer paper. I also had a blackboard in my room at my parents' house but it got dust everywhere so I would only use it to write down problem statements that I wanted to keep in mind.
If you actually want a board to work on, a whiteboard is better. But I think that in most cases, it's better to work sitting down with paper (unless you're working with other people).

Take your pedophile cartoons back to .

>That's so inefficient! Why would you move the weight like that when you can just attach it to a pulley?

I wouldn't come to you for that though.
>Fundamental Physics: C-

It takes the same amount of energy to move 500 pounds with a pulley as it does to lift it with your fucking muscles, you dingus

>you lying baboon

We got these at our uni.

Why is this so autistic?

How could your profesor not find a classroom in a school? Either you go to a shit tier school or have an autist teacher which is the same

>people are actually jealous of people who can do math in their heads
dont you wish you were smart too?

I have a little whiteboard that fits in my lap that I have sitting next to my desk in case I feel like doing some problem real quick. If it's pretentious, I had no idea. I just thought it was a decent way to save paper.

I have a big one hanging on my wall for when I kinda wanna talk myself through a subject working from the basics up.

>Fundamental Physics C-
>"with distinction" for 3.62 GPA
You are a brainlet, and so is everyone else in your university.

i fully accept that it is pretentious to use a chalkboard for everything
this does not stop me from carrying a notebook of chalkboard paper and several packs of chalk

say what you must
i feel only pity for the unenlightened masses

Do you really care what random people think about how you practice and work?

Dubs checked.

If you rest your elbows or forearms on a whiteboard table, doesn't your shirt get dirty?

has anyone invented whiteboard shirts yet

>General Chemistry C
kek