Has anyone made Gnocchi before? Is it worth it or do they taste the same as the fresh ones you can buy...

Has anyone made Gnocchi before? Is it worth it or do they taste the same as the fresh ones you can buy? Is it difficult to make them (ie do they fall apart if you dont get the exact right balance of ingredients or something)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=unAOVy92a_8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've made them a few times. I found it quite easy, never had any of them fall apart on me. Mine weren't as consistent in shape as the store-bought ones but they tasted a lot better.

>>(ie do they fall apart if you dont get the exact right balance of ingredients

Not in my experience. I "winged it" based on what I saw people do on Iron Chef and they didn't fall apart.

also: potato gnocchi or ricotta gnocchi?

Gnocchi by definition contains potato. So even "ricotta gnocchi" will be potato-based. The ricotta is just an added flavor.

when I looked at recipes there were some that contained only flour, eggs, ricotta and some seasoning I think but no potato! from google pics ricotta gnocchi look a bit more like thick noodles I guess

oh sounds good! Ive tried making potato dumplings before (the really big ones) and they just fell completely apart in the water so I was a bit worried about that

fry 'em

youtube.com/watch?v=unAOVy92a_8

>t contained only flour, eggs, ricotta and some seasoning I think but no potato!

Those are technically "gnudi", not gnocchi. The recipes you found were mis-labeled.

Damn niggi, they are delicious and quite easy to do, my go-to for potatoes. Best trick is to slowroast them in the oven and split them hot, so they loose max moisture. Seriouseats has a good recipe. They are unbelievably fluffy, the fluffiest savoury food out there probably. If you dont fuck up the kneading and add eggs, theyll be perfect and will stay together

Germans will never pronounce this correctly.

They are quite easy to make and taste a lot better than any I have bought at stores or food markets.
If you are willing to put a bit of time and effort into home cooking, they are definitely worth it.

I helped my girlfriend's grandmother make gnocchi once. I was given the task of rolling them in flour and putting a dent in them (weird). But I was so young and it was so long ago that I don't recall much of the process. I just remember it was a big task.

I was 16 years old. That was 30 years ago.

How old are you now?

30 + 16 = 73

Thanks.

Its super simple, just a choux paste mixed with riced potatoes.

Homemade gnocchi is infinitely better than what you can buy. I've never had premade gnocchi that was any good.
Gnocchi isn't hard to make at all, it just takes a little time. I've made sweet potato gnocchi, ricotta gnocchi, and Roman dumplings (semolina gnocchi), and they've all turned out great. My family will eat homemade gnocchi, but they won't touch store bought gnocchi, that's how big the difference is.

It's not even that time consuming unless you are really careful about making each one look exactly the same. I make the "dough" in a stand mixer, then stick it into a plastic bag with one corner cut off. Squeeze out into a "snake" shape on your cutting board, then cut 'em with a knife. Simple and fast.

>Roman dumplings

Those are the tits. Good job, user.

If you make the dough in a standmixer your gnocchi cant be good. Gnocchi require careful folding for minimal gluten development

I've tried making gnocchi a few times.
Like 1/2 the time it came out perfectly, and the other 1/2 would have ones falling apart. I never really figured out why they were coming out differently.

When they came out well, they were a bit better than store-bought gnocchi. But the difference wasn't so big that it was worth the effort and fail rate, so I've just gone back to store-bought.

my mummy makes them on occasion. good af but they seem pretty time consuming because she makes a fuckton (probably 10 lb minimum)