Career Advice

Ill try to keep this short. Graduated ChemE. Tried but did not land an internship. Took a technician role to gain industry experience, begin to pay off loans and have a way "in" to move into an engineering position. Been trying for last year and net even able to land an internal interview. Feel like I have made a mistake. Pretty miserable where I am, not just career wise. Any suggestions anons? Was thinking about going back for CS and they'll pay for my education but the idea of going back to school and having to stay in this job for 2-3 more years kills me inside a little. Any questions or need more clarifications, please ask.

close eyes user.
breth

what would be an ideal thing?

how old what country?

25/USA

I feel like I've wasted the last year user with this failed attempt. Ideal? I'm not sure. I have tunnel vision at the moment and I just want to land an engineering position. At this point, it's not even for the pay but more for my pride. Seeing my college peers progress while I'm left feeling stagnant is getting to me.

user, listen to me, I was exactly in your very same position, even got a ChemE degree. I said fuck it and started working for the state government’s environmental department. Easiest, stress free job I ever had, tons of travel, and decent pay. Start applying for government jobs

ok here is what i did

go post office
get passport
go to australian govt website
get working holiday visa
sell off all my shit
fly to australia
live and work there trying different trades, jobs, anything i have any remote interest in for a year all while being paid insanely well (17 dollar minimum there) fuck bitches with accents for a year
come back to US
get job doing what i love, that i learned i loved in australia, where its OK to fail because no one knows you

profit

thats what i did, im 25 too, take time and breath and live and see the world, its cheaper than you think on sky scanner

Go all in ChainLink

Fuck off we're full

lol i already did my time im off to NZ now kekekekkekekek

Just get a job in tech don't worry about the degree

Jobs aren't even worth thinking about. Automation and artificial intelligence will replace most jobs by 2035. Capitalism is in its late stages.

What do you mean? Sorry for my ignorance, I have only been looking for ones that look for ChemEs.

Something is definitely wrong with you if you weren't able to at least land an interview within your own company. Your best shot might be to get a Masters. And learn to network while you're doing it.

Even sooner for my current job

>career advice
>i don't like my job
get a different job.

wow that was a tough one. if you mean that you are not good enough, you won't know that in your first year. i don't know what it is you're actually asking though; becoming a student again and maybe getting a comfy job in 8-10 years is just another risk, or you can wait 2-4 years before you are a level 2/3 and sitting in meetings rather than working most of the day.

you can try going part time for a bit to get your head right, but chem associates have a piss easy job and career ladder. before you even think about moving to another career, go interview someone who works there about their responsibilities and how often they get promoted.

Bullshit Elon Musk and say you figured out how to turn regolith into rocket fuel. Bonus points if you can actually figure it out

Just learn some CS and IT basics instead of getting a degree, assuming it interests you. People will respect any science degree to some extent

The main issue comes that within my own area they only look for masters and phds. However, in the manufacturing portions of the company, the requirements are lower, only requiring a bachelors. I have been targeting those positions. I have been networking within and for the last position I applied to, I received a recommendation from one of the engineering leads from my area. However, after looking at my resume, HR decided not to move me on. But I agree user, I do think it's me. I think being a technician hasn't helped me. Starting to think it has been hurting me.

The whole purpose of getting this initial technician job was to help me land an engineering job within. But now that that hasn't been working, I am back to applying to different jobs externally. It is just that I don't feel much more confident than when I first graduated college since this current job doesn't have much room for engineering learning opportunities.

Just wait, there has been no investment in oil and gas exploration and production since like 2014 it's going to come back and bite everyone in the ass and oil is going to $200/barrel, conventional fields still declining at 5-10% a year and fracking turned out to be a massive meme so there will be lots of investment into refinery gains once the depletion begins to set in

Dipshit that automation is because of capitalism.

Marx was right within the confines of his economic model but wrong in real life dye to not using enough data and taking energy extraction into account.

Go to the dept heads tha you want to work in. See how you can make a good impression and then if HR decides against you when those department heads want you cut out HR

>Dipshit that automation is because of capitalism.

now, that is a super delusional argument. automatisation is cause of tech advance + high taxes. with automation you will avoid paying high salary + pension benefits + insurance + corporate taxes. it's a no brainer. that being said, automation leads higher living of standard, as we have seen past 50 years. production increases trendemously when the first agriculture machine became. the layouts are temporary. if all good production is ultimately automated that will cause very high standard of living globally, low prices and short working hours. since 1944 work hours in the west have declined every decade while purchasing power have increased

>Capitalism is in its late stages

lmao @ people who believe in this nonsense. Healthcare system is basically broke taking care of boomer, pension plans are totally insolvent, government debt is high as fuck meanwhile interest rates are growing up, the left wing is politically dead and replaced by neo-liberals disguised as SJW. We are just entering the first stages of hypercapitalism

what kind of engineering job are you expecting with an undergrad degree and 1 year of experience?

nobody gives you learning opportunities, you just go and learn. engineering resources are free and your DMS has all your docs. if you're an engineer, you'll get 50 offers every month. sounds like you're just chasing money as a dummy and recruiters can smell that.

an entry level engineering position

Where in the US are you? Don't get down.

I graduated with an MBA in 2014 from a top 25 school and did a dual degree so I also have a post-MBA Masters of Global Management. I had about 8 years of Consulting experience. I applied for 91 jobs (as in cover letters and everything) for over a year and a half to get to my job now. Most fucking interviews have like 9 goddamn rounds and I was getting eliminated in rounds 7-8. It was so frustrating.

Without sounding like an after school special, keep trying. I would also seriously think about going back for a masters. A bachelors simply isn't what it should be (although boomer managers with high school diplomas think you should have 5 masters for entry level - but I digress as that's another topic).

My other advice is be willing to move. Sadly, our generation (well you're younger than I am - I'm 34) is more fucked and have to expand outlet area. I live in shithole Commiefornia now and hope to leave someday, but it's where my job was. It might be good for you.

and what I meant by "engineering learning opportunities" is that I am limited because of "need to know" that revolves in the area that I work. I do go out of my way to learn more in my area but I am not always able to. sorry for being vague, if i could go more into specifics, I would.

But sir, ees wafer thin.

Thanks user. I don't mind moving. Currently on the west coast after moving from the east coast. I have nothing holding me down.

I recently applied to go back to school for a post-bac in CS but I am still deciding on that or going for a masters. And then there's the layer of either staying at this job and taking a longer time to complete the degree but having it paid for entirely or finishing it quickly by leaving my job but paying out of pocket.

However, I feel as if I am only doing this out of panic.

that's not really how it works. in most cases to be qualified you need a graduate degree, and junior engineers often already have a technical background. there's no reason a growing company would turn you down to do process engineering, IT, data science etc if you showed interest and had basic skills. LITERALLY every city in the world is severely desperate for actual engineers. at my first job as a tech i automated all of our spreadsheets in the laboratory in the first few months; nobody else was even comfortable using formulas in excel. promoted 4 times in a year.

anyway, keep studying regulatory shit and how to write documents. you sound like a brainlet so the only way for you to become friendly with engineers enough to get a job there is to be a mediator between technical operations and auditors/quality/management. technical writing is a lost art.

I have seen a handful of cases of undergraduate students attending career fairs and landing an entry level position with just schooling and an internship. I have even seem some, though few, cases where they received one without an internship.

But regardless, thanks for your advice throughout this thread.

>tfw you're too afraid to swat someone yourself so you bait strangers with larp

>nobody else was even comfortable using formulas in excel

Literally, how. I mean I’ve forgotten a ton about excel but I could commit a few hours to relearn if it would make my job easier. Were they all boomers or something?

Learning EXCEL inside and out is a pretty valuable skill, most office workers know basic functions, and that's it. I've seen guys charging top dollar as freelance consultants setting up EXCEL systems for companies of all kinds.

If you're only willing to invest a couple of hours into a skill, you're going be here in 5 years, still not advancing, and complaining that you can't.

Did you even ask why you were passed over? Or did you just accept it and do the Arrested Development sad walk away?

Sounds to me like you just don't commit to anything, you're low energy, and too young emotionally to be trusted in higher positions. You're expecting a job because of the degree, not your actual abilities and personality. You've basically given up, after one company, and one year. What the fuck did you expect? Did you even look at the people who got hired over you, and figure out what got them the job? Or, god forbid, ask them?

How much hand holding in life do you actually expect to get?

And don't respond sniveling about how hard you tried. You haven't tried hard enough, because you're not getting hired.

Assuming you are talking to me.

>Did you even ask why you were passed over?
That is what motivated this thread today. I talked to HR to ask about the process. Asked why I was not selected to move on and what I could do to better my chances the next time around. For other similar positions, I have always sent out an email inquiring what they would like to see. Frustrating part is that most do not reply but when they do, I have acted on it.

>Did you even look at the people who got hired over you, and figure out what got them the job?
Early on, I talked to a a couple people who already had the job that I wanted. Some looked at my resume and told me I was qualified and to just keep applying. As for the ones that are applying at the same time as me, I don't know how to come about that information. However, I could try to figure it out. Thanks for this one user.