Am I the only one that thinks this was his best novel?

Am I the only one that thinks this was his best novel?

I haven't yet read it but every time it's mentioned here it's either his best novel and loved, or his worst novel and hated with no in-between

I enjoyed it, but haven't read many of his other works. It was a simple book.

Ive read about 3 or 4 of books of his fiction and i can honestly say its the only one I enjoyed.

I thought it was shit to be honest, but I also thought the great Gatsby was shit and the two novels felt like cousins.

the trashing the fascists scene in for whom the bell tolls is the best thing he ever wrote d.e.s.u. s.e.n.p.a.i.

Yeah For Whom the Bell Tolls is his best

I found the old man and the sea to be his best, short and elegant

too bad the rest of the book reads like a bloated self-insertion fantasy

I thought a lot of the descriptions were quite nice, like (from rough memory) camping outside the partisan cave, the raid on the train and the girls psychology save the sex scene

This

The Sun Also Rises and Farewell to Arms are also really good. I don't understand how people claim some are good while the rest are bad, they all are pretty similar imo in terms of writing style as well as subject matter.

I thought Farewell, Bells and Old Man were pretty good but Sun was insufferable
Maybe because of the characters, the only thing I liked was when the old man wouldn't talk to him anymore

Yeah

I really enjoyed the trip to Spain. I was sick of Paris and restaurants and drinks by the time they finally got on the train to Spain.

Shit novel.

t. feminist

What's on the cover?

Is it pussy?

nope f.a.m

it's the most honest one anyway

A movable feast

>a bunch of pussy whipped cucks fawn over the most obnoxious female character in the history of ever like she's got the last cunt on Earth

Shit/10

it's a blurry as fuck matador

oh yeah, I see it

fucking this, I haven't even finished it yet.

Shit, never even noticed that. Thought it was just a washy watercolor of a sunset

The antisemitism was laughable. I thought they were assholes for how they treated Robert Cohn. Then again he acted like a little bitch, which exacerbated things, I think. It's been a while since I've read it.

I think it has incredible parts, some of Hemingway's peaks, but as a complete work it's problematic. Hemingway maybe gives up on styling his prose, but his insistence on depicting little, pointless details is tiring (and then they drove there, and back there, and then they drank this specific wine from this glass before driving there on this cab with this guy okay back to the story). It's Hemingway's own aestheticism, and it's cool when it's done with taste - in TSAR this tendency becomes a big knife of nothingness that ruins a promising novel.

I like A Farewell to Arms better.

why do you have to project your pathetic fetish onto everything you see?

This desu senpai
My top 3 would be
1. A Farewell to Arms
2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
3. The Sun also Rises

>why do you have to project your pathetic fetish onto everything you see?

but that's accurate.
they even call her circe in the book.

That was how it actually was at the time. Did you complain about huck saying nigger in high school English?

>The Sun Also Rises

Was he referring to his penis?

Nice mental gymnastics, cuckold

I find it interesting that everyone has a different favorite.
I personally found Farewell to Arms a great representation of his prose and a better depiction of his lost generation ideas than The Sun Also Rises. For Whom the Bell Tolls, I felt, was a package of a few excellent short stories bogged down by a bloated and generic main narrative.

real talk, when I first read it I completely missed the fact that the main character's dick didn't work.

>pre-ww2 novel

Why has Freud died in modern culture?

Sex is fucking awesome.

>Sex is fucking awesome.

its pretty gross actually
women's cunts are vile
that farting noise they make when you're pumping them makes me squeamish

how would you know the sounds that happen when I pump them?

The mechanics are gross, surely.

The brain chemicals are like fourth of july fireworks.

Probably my least favorite Hemingway novels, honestly. It read just like The Great Gatsby, though, and that may be why I don't like it. These are how I'd rank the Hemingway works I've read:

1: To Have and Have Not (legit disappointing not a lot of people have read this; fantastic book)
2: For Whom the Bell Tolls
3: A Farewell to Arms
4: The Old Man and the Sea
5: The Sun Also Rises

I didn't pick that up either on my first (and only) read through, where does it suggest that his dick broke?

It's his war injury and the entire reason why he and Brett can never be together

>"best" Hemingway novel
>implying he didn't write the same novel over and over again

Right, I gathered that after reading when I heard that the main character was impotent, but during my read through I assumed that the reason he and Brett couldn't be together was because of some event that transpired between the two of them in their past that they never explicitly discussed. I didn't know if there was a specific passage that I overlooked which suggested his war injury was shrapnel to the dickhole.

The only big change I've noticed in Veeky Forums is that people are no longer just trolling when they say shit like this, they have willfully misread a book in the most narrow-minded way possible.

His best novel in my opinion. It does the best at achieving his artistic goals, and has the least manly posturing out of all of them. Hemingway wasn't full of his own macho shit yet, and also he took feedback at the time. It's a more nuanced work than his later novels, aside from The Old Man and the Sea.

His best book overall is in our time though.

A load of Hemingway's stories have this injury in them. Impotence is a recurring theme, and i can't remember if it was an autobiographical one

Impotence was not autobiographical, considering he managed to father some kids, though being wounded was.