Hey guys, last night I made some kvass, and after looking at it 12 hours later...

Hey guys, last night I made some kvass, and after looking at it 12 hours later, I thought maybe the yeast had stopped working (first time making it, idiot move I know), so I opened the jar to look down inside of it, and added about half a teaspoon of yeast more to it.

Does doing this ruin it? Does exposure to open air contaminate it? Will I have to give it an additional day or so for the extra yeast added?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermentation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You fucked up. You should have left it alone.

You know you fucked up, right? You knew you fucked up before you started this thread.

Would you like to tell me exactly what opening it would do?

You aerated it.

But what effects would that have on the kvass, out of curiosity? I guess I'll just remake it tonight, but I'd still like to know. Would it just be the way it smells? Or could it be poisonous?

What does kvass taste like? Never heard of it but now I'm interested

IF YOU WANT TO FERMENT SOMETHING IT NEEDS TO BE HERMETICALLY SEALED

GIVEN THIS FACT THERE ARE TWO POSSIBILITIES HERE

1) YOU ARE TOTALLY FUCKING CLUELESS ABOUT ANYTHING FERMENTED AND SHOULD PUT ON YOUR DUNCE CAPNWHILE YOU READ SOME "FERMENTATION FOR DUMMIES" ARTICLES BEFORE EVER TRYING TO MAKE KVASS AGAIN

2) YOU KNEW FERMENTATION REQUIRES A HERMETIC SEAL BUT YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD BEAT PHYSICS AND SNEAK IN AN EXTRA TABLESPOON OF YEAST LESS THAN 24 HOURS IN DESPITE KVASS REQUIRING AN AVERAGE MINIMUM OF 48 HOURS TO BE READY, WHICH MEANS YOU ARE EVEN MORE RETARDED THAN IN OPTION NUMBER 1

EITHER WAY

GO FUCK YOURSELF

I think you already know. I think you knew before you even started this tread.

Calm down nigger, I never said I didn't have it hermetically sealed. I've still not been told yet what happens if it becomes aerated.

Brutal

OK SO YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FERMENTATION

COULD'VE TOLD US THAT EARLIER FUCKFACE

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK WHAT'S WRONG WITH AERATING SOMETHING YOURE TRYING TO FERMENT WHILE THE FERMENTING IS TAKING PLACE, PLEASE GO BACK AND DO WHAT I SUGGESTED IN OPTION 1. YOU WILL LEARN WHAT YOUR MISTAKE IS AND BE BETTER EQUIPPED TO NEVER MAKE IT AGAIN IN YOUR ADVENTURE DOWN THE PATH OF FERMENTED FOODS.

I'll read up on it and try to remake it tonight. Could you stop that shit and just tell me what it does?

Holy shit you're actually retarded, aren't you?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermentation

Nobody in this day and age uses caps lock lightly. You ought to know that.

>give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day
>teach a man to find his own answers, and he'll quit shitposting about kvass for the rest of his life

Google it nigger. This ain't your own private search engine. This is a goddamned forum, and we expect you to know a goddamned certain amount of shit on your own.

So fsr, all you've proven is that you don't know dick.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU INTRODUCE OXYGEN INTO A DEFINITIONALLY ANAEROBIC PROCESS, HE ASKS

GEE I WONDER

I CANT IMAGINE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU WERE TO ELIMINATE ONE OF THE PREREQUISITES FOR FERMENTATION

MAYBE IT WOULD JUST IMMEDIATELY STOP OR SOMETHING. IDK MAN IM JUST SPITBALLING HERE 2BH

>HERMETICALLY SEALED
>hermetically sealed
...no
.... you need an air lock...
..there's a difference.

>mfw I read kvass as kvatch

There's a chance it could be infected by outside bacteria. With how little Kvass usually ferments, it won't be harmful, but might give it an off, sour flavor.

That was the only thing I was trying to figure out. I'm reading up on it now to not have to make these sorts of threads in the future, but thanks for being the only helpful one in thread user.

Kvass has been made since the middle ages, so I think caps tard is full of shit.
You don't need an air tight seal at all.

same

Nigga u my soulkin

How this shit is done?

Keep it going, see how it comes out. Don't throw it away.

Can I get an answer? I wanna know if I should make this our not

>boil 2.5 liters water
>take whatever fruits you want, i used raisins
>2 pieces of black bread, rye is normally best
>burn the rye bread til its black
>put handful of whatever fruit and black bread into pot and boil for 3 hours minimum
>take out bread/raisins, filter the water
>add in another handful of raisins, 1 tablespoon of yeast, 3.5 grams of sugar, and lemon if you want, inside sealed glass container
>let sit for 2 days minimum ( the longer you wait, the more alcoholic it gets) in a warm place
>filter out water again
>add squeeze of lemon
>chill to your liking
>enjoy

It smells a whole lot like lemon and raisins to me, but I've yet to try it. I'd imagine it tastes like whatever fruit you put into it.

This. I really hope he's just trying to be a dick and tricking OP into exploding whatever he's using the make his kvass in. Either that, or he's just a loud moron.

OP, don't make an airtight seal when fermenting something. The releasing gas might build up and cause something bad to happen. An airlock isn't the same thing.

how fucking retardedc can you possibly be? do you guys honestly believe that 48 hours of fermentation would produce anywhere near enough gas to make whatever container you're storing the kvass in explode like a fucking grenade?

holy christ what kind of drivel has infested this board?

sure, there might be a little hissing when you crack open the mason jar after the initial fermenting because CO2 is obviously produced, but the lid isn't gojng to randomly blow off like a bottle of champagne while it's sitting out on your counter

I've had 4 jars burst at the top (not break) and spill liquid over the floor. I use airlocks now.

Can you raise the alcohol content any way?

Pathogens would get in and fuck with the yeast

Tried it a little while ago, and it tastes a lot like apple cider. It got me fairly drunk nonetheless, apparently introducing more yeast to it made it okay to drink and I'm feeling really tipsy. Luckily I mad a spare batch last night, so I'm all good to go. Gonna have to start making alternating batches.

RDWHAHB