Post dishes with a high quality to cost ratio

Post dishes with a high quality to cost ratio.

Shepards pie - 8 bucks for appx 8 servings and it's the fucking shit.

>Shepard's pie
Definitely up there.
Same goes for Cottage Pie and Chicken and Dumplings.

Stews
>water
>root vegetables
>cheap meat

Maybe a stupid question but...how is cottage pie different from shepards?

chili

buy the cheapest toughest most useless cut of beef you can find, cube it and brown it good in a pan before adding it in with all your other ingredients and a bottle of beer to cook for 3 hours until it falls apart just by looking at it

eat with bread/crackers/rice/baked potato to make it last even longer

Sheperds pie has strictly mutton. Cottage pie has beef, I don't know if other meats can be called as cottage pie but I call them that anyway. _rebel_

cottage pie is made with beef, shepherds pie with lamb or mutton. dont worry,it's an easy mistake to make.
better to ask than make yourself look stupid though.

Up here in Minnesota we like our tatertot hot dish. Recipes vary but some of them are abaolutely dope. Eat it with some buttered rye and you're in flavortown.

I gotta try that....Ive always made chilli with ground beef

I just made that the other day.
We call it White Trash Casserole, though, because....you know, it's not exactly the pinnacle of great food.

Ohhh yeah thats what we call it here in the south....Id totally eat the shit out of that and hate myself afterwards

For me, it's the McChicken™: a breaded chicken patty fried to perfection with a masterful blend of spices, topped with luscious mayo between two bakery-fresh tasting buns, and let's not forget the crunchy, refreshing lettuce to finish, all for only $1.19. Yum!

Looks like something a child would make....

Pelmeni or pierogies

requires a little initial labor but you get many cheap convenient meals if you freeze them. potato and cheese pierogies cost almost nothing.

damn I kind of want one now

#ForMe

Can we please stop this?

As for OP, I'd say any kind of stir-fry really. Or red beans and rice.

Once you have all the sauces/pastes for each kind, curries are cheap as shit (especially if you live near an ethnic grocery store) and delicious. Thai, Indonesian, and Japanese are my favorite.

Plus the ingredients are a lot more useful than you would think at first. I use things like fish sauce and palm sugar in a lot of my cooking after learning how to use them in curries.

In a way, you're right. Shepherd's pie and other similar casserole dishes were popularized in post-war 20th century America as easy, efficient, and wholesome meals for young wives who didn't have the kitchen experience of the previous generation largely due to growing up during depression-era shortages and wartime rationing.

the fuck

is that mcchicken-tan?

I will be the first to admit that even though I am receptive to social nuances and subtle body/facial/vocal cues I can sometimes be socially eccentric.

On Friday night I was invited to my supervisor's home for a dinner party. There were 3 couples and myself present. I can be somewhat picky, so I asked what the meal would consist of. Oddly enough, my supervisor said he would make shepherd's pie.

I was looking forward to this, because shepherd's pie is one of my favorite things to make. I am quite good at it.

Instead of bringing a salad or dessert I decided to make shepherd's pie and take advantage of lamb in my freezer that I bought from a previous sale. I spent the day making it and was quite excited about bringing it.

The reception was mixed. People seemed pleased on the surface, but I think my supervisor was a little perturbed. I think he was insulted or thought I was being competitive. He did not say this, but I was using my sense of empathy afterwards when I was replaying his body language and reaction and came to this conclusion.

Despite being far superior, most people ate the dish that the host made. His consisted of ground beef while mine was a true shepherd's pie with a very nice gravy on the side. There is no reason to chose his over mine aside for social obligation and perceived politeness.

Was my choice of dish offensive or am I over-intellectualizing the night?

Lentil or split pea soups used to be my go-to poverty food years ago when I was a kid out on his own. Chop up an onion and two carrots, a little garlic, throw it in a pot with oil and sautee, then add lentils and water. I used to get smoked turkey wing tips and sometimes smoked pork bits (usually ears, sometimes trotters) for free from a local grocer and put them in. Add a decent amount of salt and simmer for a while. Spoon it out over some rice and add black pepper. I'd eat off that for a week and the cost was probably around two dollars. Honestly it tasted like heaven to me as a skeletal needing sustenance in those days.

Now, 10 years later, times have improved and my diet has as well. If I were to fall on hard times I'd probably cook indian daal recipes, which are mad cheap if you go to ethnic markets for your spices, and they pack far more flavor (and nutrition most of the time).

maybe your pie was shite

this

people don't pretend to like shit food or purposely dismiss good food for brown noser points

i often bring nanaimo squares to parties and i cut them into tiny pieces and watch people eat 5x more than they normally would because they're awesome and because of the psychology of tiny portions

I wanna BUCK Mc-Chicken~tan

>corn in cottage/shepherds pie

$8 seems a lot for a shepherds pie.
I'd probably be able to knock one out for 4 bongbux

>shepards
That word again, Veeky Forums.

Sounds an awful lot like modern times...

Slow-cooker "pulled" chicken tacos are pretty cheap.

Thighs have a lean meat ratio of nearly 47% (they have a total edible portion ratio of about 70% including the fat and skin, which can be rendered for cooking grease then crisped up and eaten as a snack) and routinely go on sale at 59ٖ¢/lb so trimmed boneless thigh meat is about $1.26/lb.
Using a little of the homemade cooking grease rendered from the thighs' own trimmed skin and fat along with some onion, garlic and spices as well as a bit of pineapple juice and you have pulled chicken for tacos at a cost of about 38¢ per portion. If you use storebought flour tortillas, that's an additional cost of only 12¢ per portion. Have a green cabbage salad alongside with homemade vinaigrette and lunch will cost ya under 70¢ per portion.

All of this crap are good hearty winter meals
WRONG time of the year retards, it's almost summer

>living north of the equator

>deleting your own post

Used to just be "cottage pie" for everything. The lamb / beef distinction with "shepherds' pie" is relatively recent assumed etymology.

Shepard's Pie is lamb or mutton. Cottage Pie is any other kind of meat.

I call them both shepard's pie because no one fucking cares.

I laughed way too hard at this.

I care. Not a lot.

But I care.

Well then I'm poisoning everyone around me because whenever I make it with beef I call it shepard's pie and they've learned it as such.

>corn in cottage/shepherds pie
I noticed that too.
As well as the addition of 'Cheese Flavoured Food Product' slices on the top.

>tacos are a winter food!!! you shouldn't eat tacos outside of winter!!!! it's wrong and i'm gonna tell!

>Shepard's Pie
*Shepherds

Both.

You bring complimentary dishes to a dinner party, not your own version of the main course.

>November
>almost summer

Please be trolling.

(You)

>sweetcorn and peas in a shepherds pie

Thai curries are awesome during the summer.

It's winter in the real world, Aussie cunt.

Potatoe dumplings.

>$1.19
Fucking americans

Gourmet coffee is a sham (meme).
Expensive as all fuck and generic taste.

>he says, on an American imageboard

Me too

t. Bong

Also, I'm glad you like English cuisine OP. Makes a change from all the haters.

>

Get fucked you upside down convict bastard

Noodle soups (any soup really but noodle soups are more filling)

What's the top layer?

Should be cheese

best looking food itt

>shepherds pie
>those vegetables

It fucking shouldn't.

>not having a parmesan crust on your pie
Kill yourself

maybe the corn is out of place, but there's nothing wrong with peas, carrots and string beans.
i usually add courgettes to my shepherd's pie, maybe some more onions

Tomato soup and grilled cheese.

I got one of those ninja blenders recently and it gets the consistency just perfect.

That looks like it's been fried not grilled?

Dont be a nigger. You know damn well it's called grilled cheese despite being fried

>Dont be a nigger.
That's kind of hard for me, if you know what I mean.

all of this

in general, just about any basic stew is fairly cheap, and you can serve it over some rice

it's very filling, has decently healthy veggies in it, it's simple to make, you can easily make huge amounts and freeze it

stews are the best

This much butthurt from a single Aussie shitpost

Aussie mass ban when

Never

>says grilled
>means fried
Amerifat?

I for one was only joking, Bruce

Every cuisine has at least one good dish. Britain just doesn't have much more than one.

Grilled cheese is made by making a cheese sandwich and frying it in a pan for a bit until the cheese melts. Nobody puts the sandwich on a grill to cook.

I put mine under a grill.

I put mine next to the grill. I haven't had much success though

Memesters will tell you that shepherd's pie is sheep meat and cottage pie is anything else but there isn't good evidence this is anything other than assumption driven folk etymology dressed as fact. Early recorded use of shepherd's pie does not distinguish between the two.

TLDR no difference

>amerifries in charge of knowing the names of their cooking appliances

>frying it
>in a pan
>grilled

wut

When you cook an egg in a pan with oil, are you grilling it or frying it?

>sheep meat
There's a word for that.

Do go on

i am German and use sous vide to make my grilled cheese

>Veeky Forums constantly shits on British food

>high quality food thread
shepherd's pie
cottage pie
stews

hmm

Yeah I loved me some grilled eggs.

just made an enchilada casserole last night.

pre-marinated chicken from local mex supermarket
tortillas
refried and black beans
chipotle sauce
enchilada sauce
shredded cheese blend
onions
bell pepper

layered 3x

ended up with ~5 servings for under $15

>sheep meat
Do you also say cow juice?

>being this new

>3 dollars per serving
Fucking rich boy

>completely irrelevant reply: the post

Read this and thought you were serious and I was able to profess my love for grilled eggs to someone who actually knows what they are then saw the post to which you replied and realised you were taking the piss.

Since this is a quality:cost thread, grilled eggs fits that, so I'll post the recipe:

Ingredients:
Eggs, 1 /paper or plastic/ carton
>it's important it's not foam
>however many come in a carton where you live is fine; in my home country, there are ten to a carton and where I live now, there are twelve
Fish sauce, to taste
Sugar, if/as desired
Spice paste, if/as desired
>seriously, any spice paste is fine; garlic/ginger paste, chili/garlic paste, turmeric/lemongrass paste, curry paste etc whatever you want
Herbage, as you'd like, if/as desired
>i like chopped garlic greens, coriander and soft lime leaves
>optional, but nice: a dash of toasted sesame oil/seeds

Special equipment needed:
a turkey baster
a funnel
whatever you need to set up a steaming apparatus
a charcoal or wood-burning barbecue

In the narrower end of each egg, carefully make a hole just large enough to fit the end of the funnel and turkey baster into.
Empty each egg through this hole into a bowl, keeping the shell intact; if they won't pour out, try putting the turkey baster into the hole and sucking some of the egg out. The rest should pour out easily thereafter.
Beat the eggs in the bowl with the fish sauce and other ingredients.
Pour the beaten eggs back into the shells, filling them between 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full.
Carefully place eggs back into the carton and put into the steamer to coagulate.
Skewer the now-solid eggs, shell and all, and cook over hot coals/wood until the shells are charred nicely.
Serve, still in their shells, peeling each to eat.

Total cost: under $2 US for six servings. Pair with salad and rice for under $3.50 for six servings (or under 59¢ per serving).

Super common in Burma/Myanmar and the rest of mainland SEA.

I wanna stick my dick in that McChicken

Do you call all beef veal?