What are the causes of thoose straight lines you can see of top of somes lighters flames ?

What are the causes of thoose straight lines you can see of top of somes lighters flames ?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/3v7mbr/what_causes_these_vertical_lines_that_sometimes/
physics.stackexchange.com/questions/34222/squinting-at-street-lights#150941
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Light isn't affected by gravity.

That's Grandmother's Ruler

ghosts

More than likely a byproduct of your camera than any flame.

>What is an event horizon

Ever squint at a light and see all those lines?
Maybe it's like that, but on your camera.

All hail reddit

reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/3v7mbr/what_causes_these_vertical_lines_that_sometimes/

>Veeky Forums posters give smartass answers as if they know and are too smart to explain
>all wrong
>informative answer on reddit
You must all feel like shit.

I feel like shit because we could have messed around more if this party pooper brainlet didn't google for answers and post them here to feel smarter then thou (which is what OP could have also done if he wasn't stupid).

go back to rebbit, it'll make ya feel better.

You see this same thing with candles though

Technically, that's not light being affected by gravity, but space.

Light's still going in a straight line, it's just that local geometry is fucked.

Baha that's it being affected by gravity. It's just lightly affected. A black hole is simply a body with enough mass to where the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light. Light curves around objects just like an extremely fast near massless object would. Photons are definetely subject to gravity

>Photons are definetely subject to gravity

>photons
>near massless

>just that local geometry is fucked

The people here really don't like to agnowledge that reddit is legitimately better for some things than Veeky Forums.

To be fair, it would be hard to be worse than Veeky Forums at anything.

They're called quasars you dummy

I think the upvoted answers on Reddit are full of shit, and it's a camera artifact.

Yes, you can see something similar with your eyes. I can see a similar effect when looking at the lights in my house. But I can tell it's an eye artifact (possibly diffraction from the eyelids?) because when I tilt my head, the lines rotate with my head. Stores are closed in my timezone, but I'll try looking at a lighter in the morning if the thread's still up to see if there's any difference. If you have a lighter available, try tilting your head yourself.

And as someone pointed out in the Reddit thread but the OP never acted on, if the jet theory is right, it should be possible to take a picture of it with the camera tilted.

again.
I think this is the right explanation for the eye phenomenon (at least what I see):
physics.stackexchange.com/questions/34222/squinting-at-street-lights#150941
>More likely, surface tension will cause the liquid on the surface of your eye to "bead" causing a cylindrical lens. This will give a strong vertical distortion perpendicular to the opening between your eye lids. Your two eyes have slightly different angles and this would give rise to two different lines in your stereoscopic view of the world.

What I'm seeing isn't diffraction because the colors of white light aren't separated.

again.

Got an actual lighter (just a cheap BIC ligher from a local convenience store), and I was wrong, this is definitely a real effect. The line is much more subtle than the lines you see when you squint (after squinting at a bunch of things, I think I can see both the refraction and diffraction effects), but unlike the lines from squinting, it does not rotate with your head. Unfortunately my camera phone is way too crappy to capture it; it just oversaturates when I point it at the flame. I'll try to get a picture with a better camera later if the thread's still up.

I'll also try getting a candle so I can see whether what is reporting is the same effect or just the lines from squinting.

Do more research on black holes retard. and photons while you're at it. Photons are massless waves/particles. They go in a straight mathematical line through space. What is happening at the black hole, is its reached a critical enough density to curve space in on itself. So far that multiple straight paths can be taken to reach a single point, the "singularity". The affects of "gravity" are just the rules of motion coming into play in space. Gravity isn't a force, it's a result observed to explain the movement of matter in space. It's a lot more complicated than "mass = gravity"

Depends what you're saying it's "good" for. for doubling as Google and practically retaining information, Reddit is good. For inane bullshit from strangers you both appreciate and hate, go to Veeky Forums